Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
(08-27-2016, 10:02 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Can't we just keep politics out of football?  Just sayin'......

Except the type that involves taxpayers footing the bill to buy billionaires stadiums, I'm sure. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
A friend of mine pointed out that many of the loudest, most belligerent, voices you hear on this issue come from people who aren't full black e.g. have one white parent. His opinion is they feel the need, conciously or not, that they have to prove their "blackness". Once he made that point I noticed how frequently this seemed to pop up.
(08-28-2016, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Except the type that involves taxpayers footing the bill to buy billionaires stadiums, I'm sure. 

Yeah, that too.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media after Friday's game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."  "This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17401815/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-sits-national-anthem-prior-preseason-game

If the U.S. was so racially oppressive, would Obama be President and would Colin have this? :

[Image: colin-kaepernicks-house.jpg]

[Image: colin-kaepernick-car.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I've never been involved in any way with a DUI.  It has not affected me one bit.

But I think it's okay to talk about the problem of drinking while driving.

I have a good job and have not wanted for much in my life.

But I think it's okay to talk about when people are taken advantage of due to greed and then told they just don't work hard enough.

Kap having lots of money is all the MORe reason for him to speak up if he thinks it is an issue.

We don't have to agree with his views but he has just as much a right to speak out on something as you or me.

Also, he is not shielded from repercussions from his employer or his fellow citizens...just from the government.

Lastly, why would anyone think forcing people to salute a flag is a good thing?  How is that freedom?

I stand quietly (occasionally sing) during the national anthem.  But if someone else wants to sit down or whatever that's up to them.  I can't imagine we would WANT to force people to salute the flag or honor the national anthem just because people died for that right.  They died for the right to be free....not to be forced to honor them.  Maybe Kap honors them in other ways.  I don't know.  But unless he's yelling death to America and planning terrorist attacks this is ridiculous.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-28-2016, 12:58 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: His 11.9 million is guaranteed. Slave wages and black oppression got him pretty far. Instead of disrespecting the country in front of a national audenience how about taking some of that money you are stealing and go spend on something that will actually make a difference. Like getting kids through school and helping the people you believe are oppressed.

But that would require him to actually do something and not be selfish (have you seen his house?) with his money.  In other words, it would put his money where his mouth is.  He's a dumbass anyway, and he's also not a very good player.  He has the right to do as he pleases, but it kinda rings hollow when all you did to "further your cause" is literally sit on your ass.  What a bum.

"Better send those refunds..."

(08-29-2016, 09:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: I've never been involved in any way with a DUI.  It has not affected me one bit.

But I think it's okay to talk about the problem of drinking while driving.

I have a good job and have not wanted for much in my life.

But I think it's okay to talk about when people are taken advantage of due to greed and then told they just don't work hard enough.

Kap having lots of money is all the MORe reason for him to speak up if he thinks it is an issue.

We don't have to agree with his views but he has just as much a right to speak out on something as you or me.

Also, he is not shielded from repercussions from his employer or his fellow citizens...just from the government.

Lastly, why would anyone think forcing people to salute a flag is a good thing?  How is that freedom?

I stand quietly (occasionally sing) during the national anthem.  But if someone else wants to sit down or whatever that's up to them.  I can't imagine we would WANT to force people to salute the flag or honor the national anthem just because people died for that right.  They died for the right to be free....not to be forced to honor them.  Maybe Kap honors them in other ways.  I don't know.  But unless he's yelling death to America and planning terrorist attacks this is ridiculous.

It's hard to take him very seriously when he isn't actively seeking solutions, and using his wealth and influence to ACTUALLY make a difference.  It's kind of like BLM, after none of them showed up to help in LA during and after the floods.....it kinda takes the luster out of their "protests".  I guess they only matter when you can incite violence and plunder, loot, and pillage.....not when your people actually need a hand up.  Judging from his wardrobe, house, and cars, I'd say he's hardly oppressed.  He's just another mouthy spoiled brat.  

Now, our "dirty players" and "thugs" go to inner city schools in the Cincy area and hand out hundreds of free bicycles to under privileged kids, but not a word is said.  They make a fraction of what this tool makes.  Put up or shut up Krapernick.

(08-29-2016, 09:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: It's hard to take him very seriously when he isn't actively seeking solutions, and using his wealth and influence to ACTUALLY make a difference.  It's kind of like BLM, after none of them showed up to help in LA during and after the floods.....it kinda takes the luster out of their "protests".  I guess they only matter when you can incite violence and plunder, loot, and pillage.....not when your people actually need a hand up.  Judging from his wardrobe, house, and cars, I'd say he's hardly oppressed.  He's just another mouthy spoiled brat.  

Now, our "dirty players" and "thugs" go to inner city schools in the Cincy area and hand out hundreds of free bicycles to under privileged kids, but not a word is said.  They make a fraction of what this tool makes.  Put up or shut up Krapernick.

I agree that if someone is just complaining and not talking about solutions that is a problem also.

But no one talks about the good things.  Only the bad.  That's human nature.

Just saw a post yesterday where a teacher wrote on the board:

1x9=7
2x9=18
3x9-27
4x9=36
etc...all the way to 9x10=90

When the class made fun of the mistake she pointed out that no one said good job on the other 9 that were correct.

That's life.  If you do good things and expect to be praised you will be disappointed and you are doing it for the wrong reason.
(08-29-2016, 09:35 AM)GMDino Wrote: I agree that if someone is just complaining and not talking about solutions that is a problem also.

But no one talks about the good things.  Only the bad.  That's human nature.

Just saw a post yesterday where a teacher wrote on the board:

1x9=7
2x9=18
3x9-27
4x9=36
etc...all the way to 9x10=90

When the class made fun of the mistake she pointed out that no one said good job on the other 9 that were correct.

That's life.  If you do good things and expect to be praised you will be disappointed and you are doing it for the wrong reason.

Agreed, that's what I was getting at.  He's doing this for attention, imo.  He has always came off as an attention *****.

(08-29-2016, 12:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed, that's what I was getting at.  He's doing this for attention, imo.  He has always came off as an attention *****.

I was referring more toward anything else he might have done to help whatever "oppression" he sees is probably ignored because of this grandstanding.
He's probably doing it to give the 49ers more reasons to unload him and go somewhere else. While I certainly don't find anything wrong with it, he will get skewered in the court of public opinion and that can sometimes influence teams more than anything.
(08-29-2016, 01:23 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: He's probably doing it to give the 49ers more reasons to unload him and go somewhere else. While I certainly don't find anything wrong with it, he will get skewered in the court of public opinion and that can sometimes influence teams more than anything.

There's noway 49ers can cut CK. He has about $20 mil in dead money. They thought he might start sucking they just didn't know it would be this quick.

Now if they could talk Jimmy Johnson into wanting some more media...
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

The right to not stand for the anthem or pledge allegiance to it, is everything the flag is about. That freedom to make your own decision based on what you believe is the most American thing ever.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(08-29-2016, 12:45 PM)GMDino Wrote: I was referring more toward anything else he might have done to help whatever "oppression" he sees is probably ignored because of this grandstanding.

Yeah, could be, although I've never known him to actively do any of this, and he has been quoted using racial slurs himself.  If he was getting the law enforcement community and his victims together for a bbq and a sit down, we'd know about it.  He's all show and no substance, always has been.  He certainly has the right to do as he pleases, but his lack of action to really do anything about what he sees as injustices speaks louder to me.

(08-28-2016, 03:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media after Friday's game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."  "This is not something that I am going to run by anybody," he said. "I am not looking for approval. I have to stand up for people that are oppressed. ... If they take football away, my endorsements from me, I know that I stood up for what is right."  http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17401815/colin-kaepernick-san-francisco-49ers-sits-national-anthem-prior-preseason-game

If the U.S. was so racially oppressive, would Obama be President and would Colin have this? :

[Image: colin-kaepernicks-house.jpg]

[Image: colin-kaepernick-car.jpg]

This isn't really the best argument against racial inequality. The fact that a small minority can make it rich and/or powerful in a few select fields doesn't necessarily mean that injustice does not exist. It should also be noted that not everyone faces this alleged injustice, so it shouldn't be a sweeping statement in that direction either. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-29-2016, 01:57 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, could be, although I've never known him to actively do any of this, and he has been quoted using racial slurs himself.  If he was getting the law enforcement community and his victims together for a bbq and a sit down, we'd know about it.  He's all show and no substance, always has been.  He certainly has the right to do as he pleases, but his lack of action to really do anything about what he sees as injustices speaks louder to me.

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring that up.
I'm sure it's completely different and ok.
(08-29-2016, 01:57 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yeah, could be, although I've never known him to actively do any of this, and he has been quoted using racial slurs himself.  If he was getting the law enforcement community and his victims together for a bbq and a sit down, we'd know about it.  He's all show and no substance, always has been.  He certainly has the right to do as he pleases, but his lack of action to really do anything about what he sees as injustices speaks louder to me.

I think you are being kinda hard on him Wyche. First, he's certainly not the only young man who comes off self centered, and seeks attention. Nobody can judge how another person spends their money or time either. Kaepernick has been active with a charity for kids with heart defects. How many of us can say the same? Third, he didn't announce that he was gonna sit. He did it, someone noticed, and asked him why. He answered their question.

I'm not a fan of Kaepernick. I thought he looked like he could be great, and slowly fizzled out. I think it's wrong to judge a guy for taking a stand that seems contrary to what we PERCEIVE him to be. Maybe he is what you think, but he just read a great book that changed the way he looked at the world.... That's what personal growth is all about.

Just be glad that we are old enough to not have every stupid thing we say or do be captured forever on the internet.... The fact that we aren't famous, and nobody cares what we think doesn't hurt either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Gives a whole new meaning to the term "long bomb"..
(08-29-2016, 10:55 PM)jason Wrote: I think you are being kinda hard on him Wyche. First, he's certainly not the only young man who comes off self centered, and seeks attention. Nobody can judge how another person spends their money or time either. Kaepernick has been active with a charity for kids with heart defects. How many of us can say the same? Third, he didn't announce that he was gonna sit. He did it, someone noticed, and asked him why. He answered their question.

I'm not a fan of Kaepernick. I thought he looked like he could be great, and slowly fizzled out. I think it's wrong to judge a guy for taking a stand that seems contrary to what we PERCEIVE him to be. Maybe he is what you think, but he just read a great book that changed the way he looked at the world.... That's what personal growth is all about.

Just be glad that we are old enough to not have every stupid thing we say or do be captured forever on the internet.... The fact that we aren't famous, and nobody cares what we think doesn't hurt either.

Meh, former teammates of his have very little good to say about the guy.....and that tells me at least a little about him.  I just get irked at this, because he is disrespecting the guys and gals that have put their lives on the line.  Hell, I am about as anti government as you can get without being considered an anarchist (and read quite a few books/watched documentaries that changed my perspective on things, we won't even talk about the LSD, lol).....but even I salute the flag during the National Anthem.....my grandfathers both fought in WWII, one at Guadalcanal, the other was artillery support at Normandy.  To me, the flag and the Anthem is about honoring those people, not the damn police or some crook on Pennsylvania avenue.  Maybe he needs to read up on Pat Tillman.

No, he's either seriously misguided here, or actively seeking attention that he no longer gets since he couldn't QB Pop Warner these days.

(08-30-2016, 10:01 AM)Wyche Wrote: Meh, former teammates of his have very little good to say about the guy.....and that tells me at least a little about him.  I just get irked at this, because he is disrespecting the guys and gals that have put their lives on the line.  Hell, I am about as anti government as you can get without being considered an anarchist (and read quite a few books/watched documentaries that changed my perspective on things, we won't even talk about the LSD, lol).....but even I salute the flag during the National Anthem.....my grandfathers both fought in WWII, one at Guadalcanal, the other was artillery support at Normandy.  To me, the flag and the Anthem is about honoring those people, not the damn police or some crook on Pennsylvania avenue.  Maybe he needs to read up on Pat Tillman.

No, he's either seriously misguided here, or actively seeking attention that he no longer gets since he couldn't QB Pop Warner these days.

Yeah I'm a pretty liberal guy, though I did serve in the military as did a lot of the men in my family.  My thoughts are this, if I'm CK...I'd be more worried about my role on the team.  I admit, I'm a strait white male, so I can't exactly put myself in minorities shoes.  I try to understand, but I will probably never fully understand as much I'd like to.  At any rate, I don't hate the guy for it.  Apparently he feels strongly about it.  Also that being said, I still think this is a great country, despite it's faults.  I will always stand for the anthem and put my hand over my heart.