Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colin Kapernick benches self for National Anthem
It wasn't an issue with him till he started dating that BLM woman who obviously now does his thinking for him.... what a POS. He knows he is going to be cut, and can now say he was cut because he took a stand instead of because he sucks. I expect to see him on the news going on some jihad in a mall somewhere because his little wench told him to..... just like the guy in San Bernardino
I agree with that Wyche, and I stand for the Anthem. I think the issue is more with the Anthem then the flag or our Vets. This notion that it doesn't represent all isn't new. Many blacks know this, even those who stand and support. It's the national anthem but it wasn't meant for everyone. Certainly not African Americans, Women and other minorities. And for that people have the right to feel some kind of way about it. Hopefully they support it, but some people still have deep feelings about what it represents (and who it was meant for).

Edit: Lord, now he's a Jihadist. People say crazy things like this and get applauded, yet folks slam Kaep for sitting during anthem. Who gets to complain about this country shouldn't be dictated by race. We've heard for the past year how horrible America is and how it needs to be made great again to thunderous applause and ovations (and you can look out in the audience to see by who). Should we fear those millions of people are going to be terrorist? Should BLM be to blame for their feelings? Should they love it or try living in Africa? And why is this reaction so different? Because they aren't minorities?

Just because people have issues with America doesn't mean they are future terrorist, don't love their country, don't respect the VETS etc. Or at least if it does then it should mean that for everyone that has issues with the country. Not just some.

People give athletes too much power while ignoring those whose message reach far greater crowds/audiences. I doubt Kaep influences anyone, unlike others who has attacked Americas greatness.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Eh he, I have yet to hear the person you are referring to say America is horrible. The "Make America Great Again", if you have been listening for yourself and not just to the talking heads on tv, is about getting us out from under the 20 trillion dollar debt we are in. It's unsustainable, and if it is not dealt with America will fall financially just like the Soviet Union did. Facts are facts, when your credit card is maxed out you are not in "Great" shape.... nothing unpatriotic about that at all.....
Making anything great AGAIN means we aren't great now and Trump rarely even mentions the debt as a reason. That's your opinion as to why America isn't great. But the point remains. Many people agree with Kaep that America isn't great. Nearly half of the electorate. Is that the issue, or is the issue why America isn't great? Reasons people believe America isn't great is their opinion and they are entitled to it. Why America isn't great to you, isn't any better than why America isn't great to someone else. Either way you both believe America isn't great. And that notion should insult all Americans. We live in the best country on the planet. Flaws and all.

(08-31-2016, 02:05 PM)jj22 Wrote: I agree with that Wyche, and I stand for the Anthem. I think the issue is more with the Anthem then the flag or our Vets. This notion that it doesn't represent all isn't new. Many blacks know this, even those who stand and support. It's the national anthem but it wasn't meant for everyone. Certainly not African Americans, Women and other minorities. And for that people have the right to feel some kind of way about it. Hopefully they support it, but some people still have deep feelings about what it represents (and who it was meant for).

Edit: Lord, now he's a Jihadist. People say crazy things like this and get applauded, yet folks slam Kaep for sitting during anthem. Who gets to complain about this country shouldn't be dictated by race. We've heard for the past year how horrible America and how it needs to be made great again is to thunderous applause and ovations (and you can look out in the audience to see by who). Should we fear those millions of people are going to be terrorist? Should BLM be to blame for their feelings? Should they love it or try living in Africa? And why is this reaction so different? Because they aren't minorities?

Just because people have issues with America doesn't mean they are future terrorist, don't love their country, don't respect the VETS etc. Or at least if it does then it should mean that for everyone that has issues with the country. Not just some.

I have PLENTY of issues myself....as I stated in P'n'R, if I typed a lot of the things I say about our "government", I'd probably be on a watchlist and labeled an anarchist.  That said, I salute those who have gone before me to have those opinions.....and this is literally the most common way to do so.  

I am of a mind that this is class warfare, and we are being divided to make us easier prey.....but that's another forum, another thread.....shit like this just widens the divide and fans the flames.

"Better send those refunds..."

I still think it's a non story though. No way the actions of a 3rd string QB on the verge of being cut should get so much attention for what they do/say. Not sure why the media is obsessed with this story.

I don't understand the argument that not standing for the national anthem disrespects the military. I've never solely associated it with the military. Same with the flag. Being a resident of the Baltimore area, I know quite a but about the history behind it. I wrote numerous papers on Fort McHenry and even rewrote the history section of their volunteer handbook in college. I get that some people want to associate all aspects of American patriotism to the military, but arguing that anyone who doesn't demonstrate blind patriotism is "insulting the military" is nothing more than a straw man that ignores the subject he wants to shed light on. Maybe that's the goal: to ignore what he is saying because it isn't a comfortable topic.

My biggest beef is with people who defend Trump and then attack Kaepernick. We've all seen that blonde lady on facebook. Tori or Toni something? She's some loud mouth for The Blaze who always yells about black people and anyone who criticizes Trump. Her stupid ass video finally got on my nerves so I posted this:

People who support a presidential candidate running on the premise that this country isn't great because of minority groups are upset that a black athlete says this country isn't great because of how it treats minority groups.

The former is a major candidate for president while the latter is being told to get out of this country.

The former called POWs "losers" and is said to be supportive of the military while the latter is accused of insulting the military because he won't stand during a song.

The former is praised while he advocates eroding constitutionally protected rights while the latter is is attacked for peacefully exercising his own.

It's one thing to say "I disagree with his assessment of racial injustice in this country" and to cite examples to support what you say. It's another thing to just say "if you don't like it, then get out" while advocating for your own version of change in this country or even to respond with "well crime is a problem in black communities" or something else that ignores their argument. If you're advocating for reducing health care spending by the government, do you want someone to respond "well military spending is a bigger problem?" No, because both are things we can address, you just want to bring light to one.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-31-2016, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Krapernick is just trying to get back in the spotlight because he sucks as a QB.....that, or he's way, way misguided.

I mean, wearing a Fidel Castro shirt doesn't scream tolerance, social justice, and freedom to me.  Secondly, if he was actually addressing this issue, like say, investing in the community, and using his platform/notoriety to effect real change.....like getting minority community leaders and police officers together for a cookout and a sit down, then I might buy in.  He's just another "celebrity" who thinks he can tell the rest of us peons how to act.  Put up or shut up Krap.

And then some people have the ***** gall to compare him to Ali, which is an utter travesty. Ali gave up EVERYTHING for his beliefs and liv3d them his whole life.   How does this idiot in any way stack up to that?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Kaepernick has the right, and the reaction to it is a dog whistle.

That said, he really should find another way to express himself.

This thread though, whoa boy.
Now I remember why I hate the people in this country.

holy ****...
(08-31-2016, 03:20 PM)McC Wrote: And then some people have the ***** gall to compare him to Ali, which is an utter travesty. Ali gave up EVERYTHING for his beliefs and liv3d them his whole life.   How does this idiot in any way stack up to that?

Yes, Ali was not only a man of words, but a man of ACTION.  How many times was he a part of some summit, or talks?  Marches? It ain't even close.  Ali was the greatest, and that doesn't solely apply to his day job.

Since there is already one thread in JN concerning the Kaepernick situation - which is at least slightly more Bengals related - I'm merging this with the one in PnR. 
(08-31-2016, 01:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Krapernick is just trying to get back in the spotlight because he sucks as a QB.....that, or he's way, way misguided.

I mean, wearing a Fidel Castro shirt doesn't scream tolerance, social justice, and freedom to me.  Secondly, if he was actually addressing this issue, like say, investing in the community, and using his platform/notoriety to effect real change.....like getting minority community leaders and police officers together for a cookout and a sit down, then I might buy in.  He's just another "celebrity" who thinks he can tell the rest of us peons how to act.  Put up or shut up Krap.

I think he's getting Yoko Ono'd.

Admittedly not 100% on how true any of this is because I read it on the internet, I heard he has a girlfriend who'd a Muslim BLM Activist... and it just coincides with him going Vegan and him suddenly getting involved in this National Anthem business.

Men do some stupid shit for women. Maybe Kap's just one of those guys who adapts all their preferences to the women they are with at the time.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-31-2016, 03:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I don't understand the argument that not standing for the national anthem disrespects the military. I've never solely associated it with the military. Same with the flag. Being a resident of the Baltimore area, I know quite a but about the history behind it. I wrote numerous papers on Fort McHenry and even rewrote the history section of their volunteer handbook in college. I get that some people want to associate all aspects of American patriotism to the military, but arguing that anyone who doesn't demonstrate blind patriotism is "insulting the military" is nothing more than a straw man that ignores the subject he wants to shed light on. Maybe that's the goal: to  ignore what he is saying because it isn't a comfortable topic.

My biggest beef is with people who defend Trump and then attack Kaepernick. We've all seen that blonde lady on facebook. Tori or Toni something? She's some loud mouth for The Blaze who always yells about black people and anyone who criticizes Trump. Her stupid ass video finally got on my nerves so I posted this:

People who support a presidential candidate running on the premise that this country isn't great because of minority groups are upset that a black athlete says this country isn't great because of how it treats minority groups.

The former is a major candidate for president while the latter is being told to get out of this country.

The former called POWs "losers" and is said to be supportive of the military while the latter is accused of insulting the military because he won't stand during a song.

The former is praised while he advocates eroding constitutionally protected rights while the latter is is attacked for peacefully exercising his own.

It's one thing to say "I disagree with his assessment of racial injustice in this country" and to cite examples to support what you say. It's another thing to just say "if you don't like it, then get out" while advocating for your own version of change in this country or even to respond with "well crime is a problem in black communities" or something else that ignores their argument. If you're advocating for reducing health care spending by the government, do you want someone to respond "well military spending is a bigger problem?" No, because both are things we can address, you just want to bring light to one.

He's just afflicted....waxing poetically about Castro, and sporting a shirt with his image emblazoned on it hardly screams tolerance, social equality, or much of anything else good to me.  Also, I've yet to see any real action by him....reeks of an attention grab....or some have postulated that he is doing this to ensure he gets his 11 mil.

As for the flag, it has different meanings for different people.  When you have a couple of those "triangles" in a shadow box, it might just mean something more to you. Hell, someone's always worried about offending someone, well....some people are offended by this.  It's really not much more complicated than that.

(08-31-2016, 01:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: What did Boomer say that was so wrong?

The narrative that there is this huge problem with police outright murdering African-Americans is totally bullshit.  This entire us vs. them mentality is a much bigger problem.  One only made worse by the actions of those as stupid as Colin Kaepernick.

Has his display changed one person's mind?  Doubtful.  Has anyone, having now seen his act, not become aware of a problem that they didn't know existed prior to said display?  Again, doubtful.  I'd say all he's managed to do is to insert himself into a conversation that in no way needs or cares to have his input.

And boy oh boy, do I hate the word privilege.  If for no other reason than it's overuse.  It's like that one guy who start saying  a new word he learned way too often.  Like, I get it, Bill.  You went to a conference where they talked about synergy. Stop bringing it up in every meeting.  The idea that there is all of this inherit privilege that somehow precludes Boomer from sharing his opinion is comical.  Ironic even.

I'm just waiting for the hot takes on this one.  "Collin Kaerpernick is just voicing his opinion!!!  That his right as an American!"  Same person then goes on to blast Boomer for sharing his opinion, in a forum (talk radio) that specifically intending for sharing your opinion.  Because he's privileged?  Uh, what?

I'll keep this short because I know it's impossible to change people's minds in this discussion (God knows I've tried before).

The police's treatment of black people is not "totally bullshit." This isn't a narrative, it's a reality that a large portion of our country deals with a daily basis. I don't think the media is helping by shining a light on each individual case, but the individual cases have been occurring for decades.

In the past, institutional racism was easy to cover up, especially by the police. However, with the recent invention of smart phones with cameras capable of recording, it has been more difficult for them and stories are getting out and the truth is being revealed. Like I said, I don't care for the sensationalism, but I don't understand how people can see the stories that come out, hear the stories from their black friends and family (if they have any) and still deny its existence.

How were the actions of Colin Kaepernick stupid? He is doing something within his rights to bring attention to something that is on millions of people's minds every day. You could argue he is doing it because he needs attention or something like that, but the fact is people are standing with him. You don't get millions of people agreeing that something is a problem if it is fictional or "created by the media."

And I imagine you do hate the word privilege. It seems like people may have used it on you and it has hurt your feelings. But it is a privilege. Being white. Not having to think about racism. The ability to assume that the interactions you had with the police, with your co-workers, with your friends, with your bosses has nothing to do with your race. The ability to say, unequivocally, that you were treated with respect and in a manner that was not biased by the color of your skin. The ability to look at problems like being murdered by the police for not putting your hands behind your back and realizing that, yes, you will never have that problem. The ability to look at the problems of the minority communities and know that, even if you do nothing, your life will remain unaffected, even in the face of obvious injustice.

These are all privileges that white people have. I assume you're white, based on the way you feel about this issue. If you are, somehow, not white and feel this way then that's not only interesting but also kind of astounding. Someone should interview you in that case. But, like I said, I'm 99.9% sure you're white.

As for Boomer not having the right to share his opinion..well...I never said that. I don't know if you were referring to me or just the general response to something like what he said. All I'm saying is he is voicing his opinion on something that he has no experience in. 

And he said some awfully silly things in this article that only highlight the things that frustrate me about people who share his view. Saying "that it’s an embarrassment and it’s about as disrespectful as any athlete has ever been." I don't know if that was taken out of context but damn...if it wasn't, that's just ridiculous. Not standing during the National Anthem and then voicing a concern that millions of people share....is the most disrespectful an athlete has ever done? I can't even come up with a counter point to that statement because it's just so absurdly stupid. 

Then he goes on about how it feels to be a policeman but he doesn't know either. As if being afraid or being in a dangerous job is an excuse to murder people. The whole purpose of police training is to teach a person how to behave properly in dangerous situations when dealing with hostile, angry, confused or upset civilians. If they can't do that, they shouldn't be policemen. That excuse is just so ***** tired. 

And then the salary thing...I don't know what he is implying, but I definitely inferred that he thinks, because the government pays police very little, they somehow are compensated with the ability to end lives when they want to or when they feel someone is disobeying them (like, say, a person is running from them).

I just don't know why he felt the need to paint himself in this way. There's a reason that his black co-worker, Bart Scott, was apparently immediately correcting him as he was talking. Boomer is uninformed and spouting out right wing propaganda that seems to be straight from a Donald Trump speech. 

Like I said, I'm just glad they referenced him as a former Jets QB in this article. I would hate to see his words associated with Cincinnati in any way.
(08-31-2016, 03:57 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: And I imagine you do hate the word privilege. It seems like people may have used it on you and it has hurt your feelings. But it is a privilege. Being white. Not having to think about racism.

Thinking people can't be racist towards white people is racist.   Mellow

Same as how I never understood the people who use terms like "reverse" racism or "reverse" sexism... as if racism and sexism are only actually a thing if you're not a white male.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-31-2016, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Since there is already one thread in JN concerning the Kaepernick situation - which is at least slightly more Bengals related - I'm merging this with the one in PnR. 

I was thinking this thread had grown exponentially, lol.

(08-31-2016, 02:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: I still think it's a non story though. No way the actions of a 3rd string QB on the verge of being cut should get so much attention for what they do/say. Not sure why the media is obsessed with this story.

Because it has to do with race and a celebrity. And all they care about is market share , clicks likes views

Clickbait is taking over the normal news. 5% will go read how little suzy got a new wheel chair donated to her. 95% will go read playoff winning QB shits on America.
(08-31-2016, 02:20 PM)Wyche Wrote: I have PLENTY of issues myself....as I stated in P'n'R, if I typed a lot of the things I say about our "government", I'd probably be on a watchlist and labeled an anarchist.  That said, I salute those who have gone before me to have those opinions.....and this is literally the most common way to do so.  

I am of a mind that this is class warfare, and we are being divided to make us easier prey.....but that's another forum, another thread.....shit like this just widens the divide and fans the flames.

My eyes sort of glazed over at some point reading the thread... saw this bolded phrase... wondered what it refers to?

I have seen many memes slamming Colin K because he is wealthy - i.e. there is one wealthy black man (tokenism, anyone?) ergo there is no oppression.  - Is that what you are talking about Wyche? - Or, maybe the "logic" is there is oppression but no wealthy man is entitled to acknowledge or complain about it, because, you know, you can't have an opinion about ANYTHING that is outside of your current personal experience. And if that is the "logic" then where do these angry chalkie bastards get off having an opinion about Colin - who is a millionaire and black and a pro athlete - and they are none of the three?

Aye carumba!
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
(08-31-2016, 03:32 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Yes, Ali was not only a man of words, but a man of ACTION.  How many times was he a part of some summit, or talks?  Marches? It ain't even close.  Ali was the greatest, and that doesn't solely apply to his day job.

There is one similarity though. Ali was thoroughly shit on by many Americans back then for his beliefs. It's softened over the years, but at one time he was FOI, and one of Elijah Mohammad's boys. White America wanted Joe Frazier to beat his ass when he did return to the ring. Ali even rubbed elbows with at least one dictator (Mobutu of Zaire). The shirt Kaepernick was wearing was of Malcolm X meeting Castro. Malcolm X was also Ali's boy. Time has softened our view of him, but your point stands.

Action over words.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021