Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collection of observations
I don't usually rant but hearing so many Chiefs players, fans, and pundits going on about how the Chiefs lost the game more than the Bengals winning it has me out of sorts. How Mahomes was "greedy" and it cost them the game. How he was looking for that big payoff and not taking what was there, How they gave up on the run, blah blah blah.

First,
So I rewatched the game this morning. Unadulterated Bullshit. In that second half, I looked at it from that perspective and that completely defies what actually happened on the field.
I couldn't find a single play where Mahomes had an option to check down that he didn't take, usually they were all covered like blankets as much as the downfield recievers. The incompletions in the 3rd Q were close covered, contested catch attempts, not drops.
Over half of their plays in the second half were runs or designed pass plays behind the line of scrimmage-- screens, swings, shovel passes. OH that is REEAALLY greedy.
On his scrambles at the end of regulation, that wasn't greed-- it was receivers being covered and when they were breaking open, he was escaping the rush and couldn't release the ball.
The one SINGLE play where he was greedy was the goof at the end of the half.....and that was it.
Not even the interception in overtime was greedy.....for god's sake...Tyreek Hill singled up on a safety downfield....you take that EVERY time, I don't care who is playing QB.
Bottom line Lou's Crew stepped up on the big stage, rattled and frustrated the great and powerful Wizard, and TOOK the game, they were given NOTHING.

Second, I haven't trolled the boards but I wonder how many are bitching about how refs cost them this game, too....

Third, Sometimes overt, but usually veiled, pundits implying that the better team did not win that AFC Championship game even though the "lesser" team beat them TWICE in the same month....their only 2 losses in THREE months of games. Which brings me to #4....a bit of nostalgia.

Fourth, We have lived through this before. I seem to recall a magical 1981 season, where in the middle of he "November to Remember" a Bengals team beat a West Division team both in the their balmy warm home and in our own Artic AFC Championship game...and most outside of Cincinnati still considered the other team the better one.

Fifth, That same year I have a parallel recollection where a team with years of losing records that wasn't supposed to beat the "better team" and got to the Super Bowl. Their coach was a protoge of the master of his opposing team in that Super Bowl and went into his backyard (Detroit,) with a young up and coming unflappable QB against his accomplished and experienced QB, and beat him in the Super Bowl. I would love to see THAT history repeat itself.

Sixth, that said, I can live with losing to the Rams, but losing to the 49ers would be crushingly unbearable. If the Rams win, some good deserving people get the Lombardi, Stafford who suffered through years of futility with the Lions and our own Whit. All in all though, I would rather the Good Guys go into the Rams backyard and the protoge school the master...
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2022, 12:43 PM)dr tarzan Wrote: Second, I haven't trolled the boards but I wonder how many are bitching about how refs cost them this game, too....
I read a report today on NBC Sports, Pro Football Talk, that claimed "a questionable call helped the Bengals get to the Super Bowl," citing the "Mixon Fumble" and that "Mixon did not give himself up."

Yeah, very few are crediting the Bengals for any of the three playoff wins or the first KC win. Let them keep poking the tiger. You see what the Bengal tiger did to the grim reaper.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/30/andy-reid-i-asked-officials-to-review-joe-mixon-fumble-they-said-he-gave-himself-up/
Reply/Quote
What I saw in the second half was a frustrated panicking Mahomes. Bottom line.....
Reply/Quote
Meh. People just need a few days to decompress. Many, MANY people thought this was in the bag for KC. Having to pivot now they need to adjust and process. It's only Tuesday. They'll get it out of their systems pretty quickly and move on to the SB teams being the focus.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote