Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College Football!
So, I've been a NFL fan for as long as I can remember, but I've never dabbled much into the college football scene. I don't really understand the SEC, Big-12, etc, and I would very much like to (not to sound like a noob but yeah xD ). Any college teams that remind you of the Bengals in terms of play style/culture?
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 04:55 PM)OkamiW Wrote: So, I've been a NFL fan for as long as I can remember, but I've never dabbled much into the college football scene. I don't really understand the SEC, Big-12, etc, and I would very much like to (not to sound like a noob but yeah xD ). Any college teams that remind you of the Bengals in terms of play style/culture?

You have asked an extremely difficult question, which is why it has taken so long for anyone to answer. I'd like some clarification before giving my answer.

What do you mean by "play style"? Do you want the air-it-out offensive style of the Palmer days? The ball-hawking defense of '05? The stifling defense of '09? The more recent West Coast trend Hue is aiming for? Or just a pro-style offense in general? The Bengals have been pretty schizophrenic in their identity over the past ten years.

"Culture" can be interpreted in numerous ways, as well. Do you mean a Midwestern identity? An argument could even be made that Cincinnati is the northernmost tip of the South. Do you want a small-market college team to root for, or one that consistently makes it to bowl games? "Snake-bitten" or "One-and-done" could accurately describe the Bengals' franchise, but I can't imagine wanting to double down on either of those.

There are over 120 FBS teams, and each brings something different to the table. Ohio alone has 8 to choose from (2 of which are in Cincinnati), and Kentucky has 2. Even if you just like having a tiger as a mascot, you're left to choose between Mizzou, Auburn, Memphis, LSU, and Clemson. Most Ohioans tend to cheer on the Buckeyes as their primary team, and then a MAC team or UC to support on the side.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2015, 04:55 PM)OkamiW Wrote: So, I've been a NFL fan for as long as I can remember, but I've never dabbled much into the college football scene. I don't really understand the SEC, Big-12, etc, and I would very much like to (not to sound like a noob but yeah xD ). Any college teams that remind you of the Bengals in terms of play style/culture?

I almost forgot to describe the conferences to you...

The Big Ten is in the Midwest, and prides itself on academics. Applicants are required to meet stringent standards, including AAU membership. This conference is home to the three largest fanbases in the country: Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. The Big Ten has not actually had ten teams since 1990.

The ACC is (shockingly) located along the Atlantic Coast, and thanks to the rich history of Duke and North Carolina, are generally thought of as more of a basketball conference. However, ACC teams have seen success on the football field, especially Miami in the 80s and early 00s and Florida State in the 90s as well as recent years.

The SEC is located in the southeast (again, shocking), and had a recent run of national football success through the 00s. These successes have been thanks to the effort of numerous teams. The camaraderie individual fans share with their so-called rivals has led to chants of "S-E-C" being audible over telecasts. (This is akin to Bengal fans rejoicing when the Steelers win a Super Bowl. "Hooray, our division won!") Generally, when a talented recruit is kicked off a team, he can easily find his way onto an SEC roster due to southern hospitality and lax standards. They think it's fun to schedule games against lower division teams in November.

The Big XII is centered in Texas, but for some reason West Virginia is there, too. Football here is what you'd expect from a great football state like Texas. The Red River Rivalry was one of the best in football, and TCU and Baylor have seen great success in recent years. They have not actually had 12 teams since 2011, and they do not have a conference championship (all teams play each other).

The Pac-12 is the one conference that knows how to count. They are located in the Arctic Ocean. Kidding! They are on the Pacific Coast. USC is their traditional powerhouse, with the University of Nike (Oregon) coming on strong since the late 00s. The Golden Coast has a rich history of producing NFL talent, and has a long-standing rivalry with the Big Ten due to similar academic standards (putting the college in college football). The showcase for this rivalry was the Rose Bowl, the granddaddy of them all.
Reply/Quote

College game is so much bigger than the NFL. Ohio State has more fans and higher attendance than any NFL team. Pittsburgh might be close in number of fans, maybe, but certainly not attendance.

But few college teams play a pro-style offense. Michigan State comes to mind and I'd probably compare them to the Bengals more than anyone else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 09:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: College game is so much bigger than the NFL. Ohio State has more fans and higher attendance than any NFL team. Pittsburgh might be close in number of fans, maybe, but certainly not attendance.

But few college teams play a pro-style offense. Michigan State comes to mind and I'd probably compare them to the Bengals more than anyone else.

http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/12/08/the-10-best-fan-bases-in-college-football/

I realize that it is USAtoday, but it is an entertaining article.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2015, 09:47 PM)BengalChris Wrote: College game is so much bigger than the NFL. Ohio State has more fans and higher attendance than any NFL team. Pittsburgh might be close in number of fans, maybe, but certainly not attendance.

Absolutely. I find the fans (and general experience) to be more intense, as well.

The 15 largest football stadiums in the country are college stadiums. Fanbases tend to be more loyal because most of them (depending on the team) are alumni. The tradition is richer because most college teams are older than the NFL. The gameday experience is better because there's a live band doing new shows every week instead of the same old rap "songs" blasting through the speakers. 
Reply/Quote
College football atmosphere >>>>>>>NFL football atmosphere
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
sometimes the rivalries can get pretty ugly as well. like this story below! kidding...this little dude kicks ass

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/08/10-year-old_ohio_state_fan_com.html#incart_river
Reply/Quote
(08-26-2015, 01:53 PM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: sometimes the rivalries can get pretty ugly as well.  like this story below!  kidding...this little dude kicks ass

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/08/10-year-old_ohio_state_fan_com.html#incart_river

Absolutely. Never let a good, old-fashioned rivalry get in the way of what's important.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9464533/ohio-state-buckeyes-fan-12-beats-cancer-named-michigan

Meanwhile in Alabama, they're poisoning trees...
Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 12:43 PM)Ryuko Wrote: Absolutely. Never let a good, old-fashioned rivalry get in the way of what's important.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9464533/ohio-state-buckeyes-fan-12-beats-cancer-named-michigan

Meanwhile in Alabama, they're poisoning trees...

i remember that story.  no kid should have to go through a 16 hour surgery.  %^& cancer.

I think Hoke actually sent the family tickets to The Game that year in Ann Arbor?  the father of the kid said something to the effect of "he makes it hard for me to hate them" or something along those lines LOL.
Reply/Quote
Check out the Iowa Hawkeyes and Notre Dame Fightin' Irish.  Those are the only two teams you really need to pay attention to anyways.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-28-2015, 03:12 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: Check out the Iowa Hawkeyes and Notre Dame Fightin' Irish.  Those are the only two teams you really need to pay attention to anyways.

lot of Notre Dame fans here...on NBC every week since the early 90s.  TV exposure is a wonder thing for fandom....existing and growing.  sometimes on a Saturday aft that's all you will see here unless you have an expensive sports package (guilty as charged)

that's how I became a Michigan fan in my early teens because one of my closest friends is a Dame fan.  He's also a 49er fan which explains my Bengal fandom (89 superbowl).  At the time it was more to tick him off and it grew into an obsession.

he's become more of a casual fan in his old age (2 young kids now) and i plan my Saturdays and Sundays around my NCAA team and NFL team.  My old lady just absolutely loves me for it as well LOL
Reply/Quote
I've taken in all this info, sorry I haven't replied yet. A lot of work and things to do in my life xD

For college teams I've decided to watch TCU for now. It could be because it's where Dalton came from (What made me look at them first), but I also like the plays they throw out there. Alot of redzone fades and I've seen them do some tricky WR throws too . I can't say yet this is MY TEAM, but I like what I see so far every week even though they lost this week :/

Can't say if Boykin is a NFL QB or not but I've seen alot of impressive plays from him so far. I must be honest though, Baylor is pretty fun to watch for me too. Big Grin And better colors, since the Ravens I just hate purple haha
[Image: tFtivUoURYLbG.gif]
"From the great spirit was born the wolf, and man became it's messenger."
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:13 AM)OkamiW Wrote: I've taken in all this info, sorry I haven't replied yet. A lot of work and things to do in my life xD

For college teams I've decided to watch TCU for now. It could be because it's where Dalton came from (What made me look at them first), but I also like the plays they throw out there. Alot of redzone fades and I've seen them do some tricky WR throws too . I can't say yet this is MY TEAM, but I like what I see so far every week even though they lost this week :/

Can't say if Boykin is a NFL QB or not but I've seen alot of impressive plays from him so far.  I must be honest though, Baylor is pretty fun to watch for me too. Big Grin And better colors, since the Ravens I just hate purple haha

Gary Patterson is a great coach.  He rebuilt TCU and has kept them there for a while.  FSU Seminole fan here....it's been a fun ride.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote