Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
College rape reporting
Some of you may be aware that colleges and universities around the country are now required to report to the DoE reported sexual assaults and rapes. This information is made publicly available and so we now have this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/06/07/these-colleges-have-the-most-reports-of-rape/

The article has the rankings for reported rapes on campuses across the country and there is a sortable table at the bottom. What is problematic with this is that rape is a very under reported crime and institutions have been known to discourage reporting in an effort to protect their image. This has led to some very dubious claims.

For example, of the schools with zero reported rapes on the list, 12 of those have an enrollment of over 20k. NYU, with an undergraduate and graduate enrollment totaling about 50k (only undergrad is reported on the list) and an on-campus population of 11k claimed zero reported rapes in the year. We're not even talking about where someone was charged with rape or a student was found to have been responsible for rape within the school guidelines, no, we're just talking about someone reporting a rape. I have a hard time believing that claim.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-08-2016, 05:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Some of you may be aware that colleges and universities around the country are now required to report to the DoE reported sexual assaults and rapes. This information is made publicly available and so we now have this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/06/07/these-colleges-have-the-most-reports-of-rape/

The article has the rankings for reported rapes on campuses across the country and there is a sortable table at the bottom. What is problematic with this is that rape is a very under reported crime and institutions have been known to discourage reporting in an effort to protect their image. This has led to some very dubious claims.

For example, of the schools with zero reported rapes on the list, 12 of those have an enrollment of over 20k. NYU, with an undergraduate and graduate enrollment totaling about 50k (only undergrad is reported on the list) and an on-campus population of 11k claimed zero reported rapes in the year. We're not even talking about where someone was charged with rape or a student was found to have been responsible for rape within the school guidelines, no, we're just talking about someone reporting a rape. I have a hard time believing that claim.

I agree, I am not buying that any college campus has no rape, not even female only colleges.