Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colonoscopy
I am fifty (closing on 51) and just had my first colonoscopy Monday. Two small polyps removed and the biopsy was benign. But, had I not had the procedure, those polyps could have one day become cancerous. If you wait until you have symptoms it may be too late, and colon cancer is not anything to be trifled with.

I was the same as most others. I did not want to do it. But let me tell you, it's not that bad. The procedure itself is nothing. Not eating the day before sucks. I didn't have the giant jug to drink, just two 8 oz bottles with 8 oz of water. One at 6pm the day before, and one at 7:30 the day of. The stuff last 2 to 3 hours. It really wasn't that big of a deal.

I'm just saying, get it done. Women too. It plays no favorites. I did a fair amount of reading on colon cancer out of curiosity, and in many cases it's asymptomatic until it's almost too late. There is no saying the polyps I had would have become cancer. Most don't, but virtually all colon cancer begins with polyps.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Been putting this off as long as possible. I probably need to get this done this year at some point. I’m 41
Reply/Quote
My GP had a system so that on his patients 50th birthday they receive a call from him to schedule a colonoscopy. I turn 55 this year and it is time for me to have another one. Especially since my father died of colon cancer in '16.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:31 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Been putting this off as long as possible.   I probably need to get this done this year at some point. I’m 41

They recommend 50 unless you have a first degree relative with polyps or cancer.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My GP had a system so that on his patients 50th birthday they receive a call from him to schedule a colonoscopy.  I turn 55 this year and it is time for me to have another one.  Especially since my father died of colon cancer in '16.

Sorry to hear that.  I'm now on the 5 year plan since I had polyps so I'll be going back at 55.  Now that I've done it once, the fear or anxiety is gone.  Of course now I'll have to meet a deductible since it's now diagnostic and no longer screening for me.  

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They recommend 50 unless you have a first degree relative with polyps or cancer.

Oh ok. Well I have 9 years then.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: My GP had a system so that on his patients 50th birthday they receive a call from him to schedule a colonoscopy. I turn 55 this year and it is time for me to have another one. Especially since my father died of colon cancer in '16.

Good to see you back Fred. Hope all is well.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Oh ok.  Well I have 9 years then.

Not that it would hurt or anything, but I'm not sure how insurance covers that if you are below 50.  With most insurance (maybe all) it's completely free if you are asymptomatic.  

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Good to see you back Fred. Hope all is well.

Perfect thread to welcome back an ass!

J/k Fred. Welcome back.

I am 50 as well and just had a med check a few months ago. Dr brought this up and said it was time. I came home and burned my AARP card that they’ve been sending me since I’ve been 40, lol.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 12:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I am fifty (closing on 51) and just had my first colonoscopy Monday.  Two small polyps removed and the biopsy was benign.  But, had I not had the procedure, those polyps could have one day become cancerous.  If you wait until you have symptoms it may be too late, and colon cancer is not anything to be trifled with.  

I was the same as most others.  I did not want to do it.  But let me tell you, it's not that bad.  The procedure itself is nothing.  Not eating the day before sucks.  I didn't have the giant jug to drink, just two 8 oz bottles with 8 oz of water.  One at 6pm the day before, and one at 7:30 the day of.  The stuff last 2 to 3 hours.  It really wasn't that big of a deal.  

I'm just saying, get it done. Women too.  It plays no favorites.  I did a fair amount of reading on colon cancer out of curiosity, and in many cases it's asymptomatic until it's almost too late.  There is no saying the  polyps I had would have become cancer.  Most don't, but virtually all colon cancer begins with polyps.

100% agree! Great advice.

I'm also closing in of 51 as well (in March) and I had my first one about 5 years ago. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 10:06 PM)Erudite Stoner Wrote: 100% agree! Great advice.

I'm also closing in of 51 as well (in March) and I had my first one about 5 years ago. 

Got you beat by 2 days. I was due on St Patty’s but came out on the Ides. (I’m not a stalker, it’s in your profile. )

Reply/Quote
I will say that when I had mine I asked to have some of the drug they gave me during the procedure to take home. Of course I was joking, but they told me that it was the medicine that killed Michael Jackson. Dude must have been in pain beyond belief.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Perfect thread to welcome back an ass!

J/k Fred. Welcome back.

I am 50 as well and just had a med check a few months ago. Dr brought this up and said it was time. I came home and burned my AARP card that they’ve been sending me since I’ve been 40, lol.

I hear ya, Dog.  I turn 49 next month.  Only one year left..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 10:34 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say that when I had mine I asked to have some of the drug they gave me during the procedure to take home. Of course I was joking, but they told me that it was the medicine that killed Michael Jackson. Dude must have been in pain beyond belief.

Propofol. I was given demerol and another one I didn’t catch the name of. Since I haven’t drank since I was 23 I was kinda looking forward to it. LOL

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 10:33 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Got you beat by 2 days. I was due on St Patty’s but came out on the Ides.  (I’m not a stalker, it’s in your profile. )

So I put on my pants and armed the cat for no good reason?  Cool
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 11:06 PM)Erudite Stoner Wrote: So I put on my pants and armed the cat for no good reason?  Cool

Yeah sorry about that.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 06:54 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Not that it would hurt or anything, but I'm not sure how insurance covers that if you are below 50.  With most insurance (maybe all) it's completely free if you are asymptomatic.  

That is because of new regulations related to Obamacare. If they get rid of that regulation insurance companies will most likely stop covering this.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 10:09 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: That is because of new regulations related to Obamacare. If they get rid of that regulation insurance companies will most likely stop covering this.

It seems like it would make sense for an insurance company to do so.  Cutting off a couple polyps seems a lot cheaper than treating colon cancer.  Of course you would have to calculate how many people would pass on it because they were out of pocket for some of it.  I know with my deductible, I'll have to pay for mine in 5 years.

Reply/Quote
I’m sorry.....I keep reading this word, asymptomatic.....what does that mean? What are the signs of colon cancer? I had hemorrhoids pretty bad a few years ago. I went to the doctor and he checked them out. First time ever I had a guy look that close at me. I had to go out for a smoke afterwards. Lol! They sucked though. Only thing I could do to keep them from flaring up was sitting in a HOT bath for an hour or so every night. Just soaked the crap outta them, literally. :) Ever since then, I’m pretty nervous about that part of my body. I was probably 35 when I had them puppies and I’m 40 now.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
I had one in 2015. I was only 38, but I was having some odd symptoms and thought it best to be thorough. My dad died of colon cancer, too, so it was going to bother me if I didn't get an answer.

overall it wasn't too bad outside of the prep. I spent the day before coloring with my son, drinking broth, popping dulcolax, and shitting my brains out. I had a headache from not eating by the next morning.

The biggest surprise was the fact that I wasn't asleep while the procedure was being done. I assumed I would be totally sedated. Fortunately they gave me a cocktail of fentanyl and something else, which they told me was similar to valium. The drugs worked, for sure, but I could still feel the camera moving around inside me, which was odd.

In the end, I had a couple of polyps removed and they were determined to be benign. I did have some internal hemorrhoids, which were causing my symptoms.
Reply/Quote