Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colonoscopy
Im a couple years past due. It's just too easy to put off, especially since I generally feel pretty good.
I really need to quit putting it off.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’m sorry.....I keep reading this word, asymptomatic.....what does that mean? What are the signs of colon cancer? I had hemorrhoids pretty bad a few years ago. I went to the doctor and he checked them out. First time ever I had a guy look that close at me. I had to go out for a smoke afterwards. Lol! They sucked though. Only thing I could do to keep them from flaring up was sitting in a HOT bath for an hour or so every night. Just soaked the crap outta them, literally. :) Ever since then, I’m pretty nervous about that part of my body. I was probably 35 when I had them puppies and I’m 40 now.

Asymptomatic means there are no symptoms shown.

Reply/Quote
How about the fun part when they make you fart before they let you go home? LOL

In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 04:15 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I’m sorry.....I keep reading this word, asymptomatic.....what does that mean?  What are the signs of colon cancer?  I had hemorrhoids pretty bad a few years ago.  I went to the doctor and he checked them out. First time ever I had a guy look that close at me.  I had to go out for a smoke afterwards. Lol!  They sucked though.  Only thing I could do to keep them from flaring up was sitting in a HOT bath for an hour or so every night. Just soaked the crap outta them, literally.  :) Ever since then, I’m pretty nervous about that part of my body.  I was probably 35 when I had them puppies and I’m 40 now.

Hemorrhoids wouldn't be a symptom.  Basically what it means is your doctor is telling you to get a colonoscopy as a preventative measure rather than having something that concerns them.  

I don't know what the odds of having colon cancer at 40 are, but they would be extremely low.  90% of all colon cancers occur after 50.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 04:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: How about the fun part when they make you fart before they let you go home? LOL

That bothered me more than anything else. LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2018, 11:58 PM)samhain Wrote: I had one in 2015.  I was only 38, but I was having some odd symptoms and thought it best to be thorough.  My dad died of colon cancer, too, so it was going to bother me if I didn't get an answer.  

overall it wasn't too bad outside of the prep.  I spent the day before coloring with my son, drinking broth, popping dulcolax, and shitting my brains out.  I had a headache from not eating by the next morning.  

The biggest surprise was the fact that I wasn't asleep while the procedure was being done.  I assumed I would be totally sedated.  Fortunately they gave me a cocktail of fentanyl and something else, which they told me was similar to valium.  The drugs worked, for sure, but I could still feel the camera moving around inside me, which was odd.

In the end, I had a couple of polyps removed and they were determined to be benign.  I did have some internal hemorrhoids, which were causing my symptoms.

You know when I read the Dr's report it stated I had internal hemorrhoids.  He didn't even mention it to me.  Do you just let them go if they are not bothering you?  

Reply/Quote
Is the age still 50? my wives cousin died of prostate/colon issues @ 24 years old
Reply/Quote
(01-12-2018, 10:28 AM)michaelsean Wrote: You know when I read the Dr's report it stated I had internal hemorrhoids.  He didn't even mention it to me.  Do you just let them go if they are not bothering you?  

That's what the doctor that performed the procedure told me.  I tend to believe her due to the fact that my wife works at a cancer center  and recommended her to me.  She said they'd possibly go away, possibly not.  Reccomended more fiber in my diet.  

The symptoms that caused concern for me were flat, ribbon-like stool and trouble with bowel movements.  Both are signs of colon cancer, but are also major signs of internal hemorrhoids.  The condition only occasionally causes me pain or discomfort, so I'm not too worried.  Beats the hell out of the alternative. 
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 07:43 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Perfect thread to welcome back an ass!

J/k Fred. Welcome back.

From the guy who needed a colonoscopy to get his drivers license photo.

ThumbsUp

Good to be back.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2018, 12:35 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I am fifty (closing on 51) and just had my first colonoscopy Monday.  Two small polyps removed and the biopsy was benign.  But, had I not had the procedure, those polyps could have one day become cancerous.  If you wait until you have symptoms it may be too late, and colon cancer is not anything to be trifled with.  

I was the same as most others.  I did not want to do it.  But let me tell you, it's not that bad.  The procedure itself is nothing.  Not eating the day before sucks.  I didn't have the giant jug to drink, just two 8 oz bottles with 8 oz of water.  One at 6pm the day before, and one at 7:30 the day of.  The stuff last 2 to 3 hours.  It really wasn't that big of a deal.  

I'm just saying, get it done. Women too.  It plays no favorites.  I did a fair amount of reading on colon cancer out of curiosity, and in many cases it's asymptomatic until it's almost too late.  There is no saying the  polyps I had would have become cancer.  Most don't, but virtually all colon cancer begins with polyps.

Ugh. You just reminded me (not that i forgot), i need to get mine scheduled. Told the doc at my last checkup i'd do it right after the first of the year.

Thanks a lot man...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Waited too long it appears, for a multitude of reasons. When I worked at places that had insurance, there never seemed to be time to go to the doctor. The last few years, no insurance; and stubbornly wouldn't sign up for help. Knew around Christmas there was a problem, which I thought was prostate infection coupled with huge hemorrhoids. So after procuring really decent insurance, off to the doctor and a quick colonoscopy. To EVERYONE on here, DO NOT put this off; it's no big deal and you're pretty much knocked out for the procedure, and you don't hurt when you wake up! Me, well stage 4 colon cancer which also metasticized in the liver, third round of chemo treatments next week and really doing well, better than expected. So please, please everyone, get this done sooner rather than later. I'm doing all I can to fight it, but it does not have to get to this point! (I'm 59) And of the people I know, R Faulk get it done NOW!! You'll be glad you did later. Hope this helps just one person, and the time spent typing will be well worth it. Robbie
Reply/Quote
Sorry to hear that Bengalsrob. Cancer is a *****! My wife just had hers done and I will be getting mine soon.

Reply/Quote
Man Rob that’s just awful. Really don’t know what to say. Glad to hear it’s going better than expected.

Reply/Quote
Very sorry to hear that Robbie. If it helps, reading your story has helped me make up my mind about getting my second one done, now.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm on the 10-year plan, and am due this year. Sounds like the prep part has gotten better, and the drugs they give you are fabulous. I woke up in the middle of my first c-scope, and found it fascinating to watch the doc root around up there on the monitor. I finally said, "hey, I'm awake", and somebody came at me with a loaded syringe into the IV line. Next thing I knew, I woke up farting.

I'm very sorry, Robbie. That's a hard thing, and I admire you for doing what you can to encourage others.
Reply/Quote
Thanks for the support Bengal friends! It took me some time to get around to replying, because you're so devastated you really don't know what to say. Stay ahead of the game on any of this medical if you can, and remember, work will go on just fine without you; but if you get to where I am, it's definitely going on without you much longer than one could predict. Even though my mother died from melanoma shortly after I was born, I just didn't think it could happen to me. Different dog that bit me, but happening nonetheless. Someone asked about the internal hemis, my doctor was actually going to try banding them, until he found this. When I woke up and seen the Doc's face, I already knew. I think it bothered him every bit as much as it did me, if not more. My significant other is an OR nurse, and they all said he pounded the table and used a few choice words when he found it. Generally, they won't remove those unless they're giving you grief, and depending on how big, they either cut them out, or band them, kinda like making a bull calf a steer. God bless everyone, and thanks for your support. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Had my first in my early 40's because of family risk factors. Yes, the prep is the worst but it's really not that big of a deal.

I don't know why anyone would be afraid or put this off.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
Very sorry to hear that Robbie.  I hope you kick cancer's ass.  it sucks. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote