Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colts/Texans
Lots of occupations are dangerous and some pay well and some don't. If you worked in a coal mine for example, would you like if there were no safeguards in place? I knew quite a few miners when I was a kid who were really screwed up from lack of basic safety controls. Several years ago I worked as an industrial spray painter and they offered very little in ways of safeguards so I ended up completely numb from both elbows and knees down for several years and have problems with neuropathy to this day. Back then I shot over 70 gallons of oil based paint per week on my own. The same company now limits painters to 8 gallons per week and they're supplied with full body suits and fresh air systems and are required to have a blood gas test every month.
I knew the hazards of the job back then, but I was young and dumb enough to subject myself to it. Just because someone is young and dumb enough to do a job doesn't excuse an employer from the responsibility for the employee. Teams and the league are responsible to these young men to ensure that once they're out of the league they aren't beat up to the point where they can no longer feed their families. Call it what you like, but it's still highly exploitive and young men and women will always forgo their health and well being for short term financial gain.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2015, 12:13 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I think it's pretty well known that you could have serious issues while playing.   When I played they made sure we knew about this every year.    
Besides these are adults, if they want to work in a high risk enviornment then that's their choice.   They are well compensated for that risk.  

I know it's legitimate to try and shield these guys from head problems but for almost all of them, the risk is worth the rewards.    They basically have ran a few guys out of the league because of this protocol.   That's crazy, especially if the guy wants to work.    

This goes back to the whether you are ok with someone making their own decisions or do you want to make them instead.

I agree people should be allowed to make their own decisions, but you are ignoring the fact that the NFL intentionally buried the information required for players to make the most informed decision.  That is my issue.

I'm very ok with people making their own decisions in regards to employment.  I'm not ok with employers lying about the danger of a position and then acting surprised when the dangers become known to the general public.  In today's NFL we now see many players playing football knowing the risks, but we are now seeing some players walking away from the game and making what they feel are informed decisions about the pros and cons of continuing onward.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 12:39 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I agree people should be allowed to make their own decisions, but you are ignoring the fact that the NFL intentionally buried the information required for players to make the most informed decision.  That is my issue.

I'm very ok with people making their own decisions in regards to employment.  I'm not ok with employers lying about the danger of a position and then acting surprised when the dangers become known to the general public.  In today's NFL we now see many players playing football knowing the risks, but we are now seeing some players walking away from the game and making what they feel are informed decisions about the pros and cons of continuing onward.

Yes some don't value the generational changing wealth. Which is fine but to tell another they can't is wrong. And whether or not the NFL his the info. On every helmet you get there is a warning of the potential side effects of using this equipment and what it can do to your head. Every coach is required to go over this in detail. That's been my whole life, well before any of this concussion protocol nonsense.

To say any player doesn't know the risk is bs. The concussion lawsuit was nonsense as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 01:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yes some don't value the generational changing wealth.    Which is fine but to tell another they can't is wrong.    And whether or not the NFL his the info.   On every helmet you get there is a warning of the potential side effects of using this equipment and what it can do to your head.    Every coach is required to go over this in detail.   That's been my whole life, well before any of this concussion protocol nonsense.  

To say any player doesn't know the risk is bs.   The concussion lawsuit was nonsense as well.

You seem to think pee wee football coaches have had a grasp of the neurological implications of long-term concussion and head trauma equal to that of current medical professionals, so your take on this just smacks of an agenda.  The NFL hired non-neurologists to minimize and discredit the findings of independent neurologists because of money.  They did it to save money, shift blame elsewhere, and because they know people like you will eat it right up.

The fact that you think concussion protocol is nonsense just emphasizes the fact that you claim "people know the risks" and yet you support those who hide/minimize the risks you claim people do or should know.  People knew next to nothing about the long-term effects of concussions years ago, so the fact that you think you have it all figured out and that the intricacies of the human brain are just easy peezie simple is a laugh.

As usual you think I just have it out for the NFL because I hate rich people and am a communist or something.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2015, 03:13 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You seem to think pee wee football coaches have had a grasp of the neurological implications of long-term concussion and head trauma equal to that of current medical professionals, so your take on this just smacks of an agenda.  The NFL hired non-neurologists to minimize and discredit the findings of independent neurologists because of money.  They did it to save money, shift blame elsewhere, and because they know people like you will eat it right up.

The fact that you think concussion protocol is nonsense just emphasizes the fact that you claim "people know the risks" and yet you support those who hide/minimize the risks you claim people do or should know.  People knew next to nothing about the long-term effects of concussions years ago, so the fact that you think you have it all figured out and that the intricacies of the human brain are just easy peezie simple is a laugh.

As usual you think I just have it out for the NFL because I hate rich people and am a communist or something.

I have never coached pee wee. But I know in high school and college that coaches and trainers (college) go through all the risks an read the information provided by equipment manufactures. There is a long list of what can happen while using that equipment .

I don't think you have it out for anyone. It's natural to care for another person's well being. I just feel like all we can do is tell them the worst case scenario and let them do as they wish. I care for others as well. But you know when you tell some people to not touch the hot stove they just gotta try it out. It's their choice.

They should he providing info, and recommendations, and if the professional player decides to go against those recommendations then they are accepting the risk. I also think there shouldn't be any chance to sue if they go against that recommendation.
Reply/Quote