Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbus Day is stupid
Christopher Columbus didn't "discover" America any more than Neil Armstrong "discovered" the moon.
Reply/Quote
Nothing like celebrating rape, pillage and famine like Columbus Day.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure the Native Americans would agree with this.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
It absolutely is, but us Italians needed a folk hero so we got to lobbying. Even if the inception of it is hollow, America's love a "tradition".

[Image: 200704230509-baltimore-columbus-statue-full-169.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I prefer Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Unfortunately, all people do on Indigenous Peoples' Day is shit on Columbus (rightfully, mind you), so the re-classification doesn't quite escape the shroud that Columbus cast on this world.
Reply/Quote
I used to just treat it as a day off. But I don't get it off anymore. So it's just another Monday.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:13 AM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I used to just treat it as a day off. But I don't get it off anymore. So it's just another Monday.

This is the first year our school system didn't take off for it. Our county also just changed the name too

Reply/Quote
I think Hispanics (I believe that's the correct term here) are pretty big on it.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I just care that it gets me a paid day off from work.

Should probably change it though.
Reply/Quote
Just a note to all you self righteous white people piling on the "Shit on Columbus" bandwagon. He was not the only one who screwed the native people.  The good old United States of America is probably the number one perpetrator. So what are we going to do about the Fourth of July?
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just a note to all you self righteous white people piling on the "Shit on Columbus" bandwagon. He was not the only one who screwed the native people.  The good old United States of America is probably the number one perpetrator. So what are we going to do about the Fourth of July?

Terrible comparison, but to answer the question we will do what we always do: celebrate what we currently stand for as a nation that values freedom over tyranny. 

Reply/Quote
https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-columbus-day-2020/

Quote:Sadly, in recent years, radical activists have sought to undermine Christopher Columbus’s legacy. These extremists seek to replace discussion of his vast contributions with talk of failings, his discoveries with atrocities, and his achievements with transgressions. Rather than learn from our history, this radical ideology and its adherents seek to revise it, deprive it of any splendor, and mark it as inherently sinister. They seek to squash any dissent from their orthodoxy. We must not give in to these tactics or consent to such a bleak view of our history. We must teach future generations about our storied heritage, starting with the protection of monuments to our intrepid heroes like Columbus. This June, I signed an Executive Order to ensure that any person or group destroying or vandalizing a Federal monument, memorial, or statue is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

I have also taken steps to ensure that we preserve our Nation’s history and promote patriotic education.
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 01:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Just a note to all you self righteous white people piling on the "Shit on Columbus" bandwagon. He was not the only one who screwed the native people.  The good old United States of America is probably the number one perpetrator. So what are we going to do about the Fourth of July?

Isn't that the Day we Declared Independence from Native Americans? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Shoot off fireworks. Eat some grilled burgers, hot dogs, bbq. And drink the beverage of choosing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 08:25 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm pretty sure the Native Americans would agree with this.

If only their ancestors could have made it beyond the stone age in the 1000s of years before Columbus.

Dont get me wrong, I think the way the Europeans (Spanish, English, Dutch, etc.) went about conquering the New World wasn't the nicest way to go about it obviously. But as history has shown time and time again, it was inevitable the Natives were going to fall against a far more advanced people. And as history has also shown, it doesn't usually go well for the conquered.

Reply/Quote
We had our Thanksgiving today, so we still had a paid day off too, just celebrating togetherness and being thankful, as opposed to a loser that only got funding for his expedition after going to his *3rd* country.

Despite me being a proud and patriotic Northern Italian, I couldn't care less about Columbus, especially since he didn't discover anything, other than the Bahamas (which isn't the US, as far as I remember).

(10-12-2020, 09:42 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It absolutely is, but us Italians needed a folk hero so we got to lobbying. Even if the inception of it is hollow, America's love a "tradition".

[Image: 200704230509-baltimore-columbus-statue-full-169.jpg]

!!!! You're Italian, Pat?!?! Big Grin

Where in the country are you from? :)
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2020, 11:51 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: We had our Thanksgiving today, so we still had a paid day off too, just celebrating togetherness and being thankful, as opposed to a loser that only got funding for his expedition after going to his *3rd* country.

Despite me being a proud and patriotic Northern Italian, I couldn't care less about Columbus, especially since he didn't discover anything, other than the Bahamas (which isn't the US, as far as I remember).

!!!! You're Italian, Pat?!?! Big Grin

Where in the country are you from? :)

He did discover the initial ocean route from the then modern day Europe to the New World. Due to that, more explorers followed suit which eventually led to 3 McDonalds within 10 minutes of me.

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 09:41 PM)Millhouse Wrote: He did discover the initial ocean route from the then modern day Europe to the New World. Due to that, more explorers followed suit which eventually led to 3 McDonalds within 10 minutes of me.

Ocean route? Isn't that like a straight line? Like, 'yo, dawg, go west. When you run out of food and clean water, hang on for two more weeks!'
Reply/Quote
Is Columbus, Ohio named after Christopher Columbus?

If so, why?

What is the connection?
Reply/Quote