Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Columbus day --
So, people on Facebook are tired of me doing the same thing every early October, so my rant will go on this board.

It's another year where the banks and post office are closed to honor an exploitative, syphilis-spreading rake.

Christopher Columbus didn't "discover" America any more than Neil Armstrong "discovered" the moon.
I'm sorry that this bothers you and given his history I can see why some don't like it. As for myself, this is a high paced and often stressful world. I don't let specific calendar days or bank holidays bother me no matter what they are based on. I usually don't even notice them unless I forget and go to the post office or bank and it is closed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that in the grand scheme of things we can choose to let something like the name of a day on a calendar anger us, offend us or not. After my 40 some spins around the sun I find it more beneficial to not focus on such things and instead trying to make the world a better place than I found it when I wake up each day, no matter how small an impact that may be. I'm not always so great at that and often fail but at least I try. I suppose I find that a better investment of my attention.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
He obviously wasn't the first person to discover this side of the planet. But his discoveries was the tip of the spearhead that led to the eventual European colonization of the Western Hemisphere which eventually led to me.

I wont defend him and his actions, especially on his return trips, as some sources suggest he wasn't a good guy towards the natives. But he is nonetheless an important figure in our history.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

I wouldn't mind it getting renamed to something more deserving of a holiday.

.....just don't take away my paid holiday from work is all I ask. Call it whatever you wan.t.
Did someone forget to lock the P&R door this weekend?

If I'm not mistaken, Latinos take a lot of pride in the Columbus voyage so that's a lot of votes.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

My problem with it is just that he didn't "discover" anything.  He never really knew where he was. lol.

He wasn't "proving" anything other than that he could make the royals some money and they hoping he'd see a nice cut.

It wasn't for "discovery" and he failed at what he was trying to do anyway.

He just doesn't deserve a federal holiday for trying to make money for himself and failing.

The rest of the history with the destruction of the natives from the three America's is above and separate, to me.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(10-08-2018, 08:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Did someone forget to lock the P&R door this weekend?

If I'm not mistaken, Latinos take a lot of pride in the Columbus voyage so that's a lot of votes.

I'm betting it was put in another subforum and got moved here.

And the Italians have co opted that "pride" too.  I grew up in an Italian household and it was never a big deal ever, but it looks like bigger cities with more densely populated communities of Italians really cling to it.
(10-08-2018, 09:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm betting it was put in another subforum and got moved here.

And the Italians have co opted that "pride" too.  I grew up in an Italian household and it was never a big deal ever, but it looks like bigger cities with more densely populated communities of Italians really cling to it.

I always figured (maybe wrongly until recently) that the Italians took some pride in it.  I think the Latino part came to my attention when Arizona was doing something or other with the holiday.  But it makes sense.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

A holiday made up by my Italian American forefathers to give them an American hero they could champion and help us to gain more acceptance into mainstream American culture.

Unfortunately, history tells us he was actually a pretty horrible human. Many feel like removing this "holiday" will "erase" history, though that's just nonsense.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(10-08-2018, 11:33 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A holiday made up by my Italian American forefathers to give them an American hero they could champion and help us to gain more acceptance into mainstream American culture.

Unfortunately, history tells us he was actually a pretty horrible human. Many feel like removing this "holiday" will "erase" history, though that's just nonsense.

Again, I don't think it SHOULD be a holiday, but it should be used as a teaching moment about human history.
(10-08-2018, 11:33 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: A holiday made up by my Italian American forefathers to give them an American hero they could champion and help us to gain more acceptance into mainstream American culture.

Can't blame them...it was a while before Rocky was going to become a hit.
(10-08-2018, 02:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Can't blame them...it was a while before Rocky was going to become a hit.

and Mario
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

His discovery led to the holocaust of the Native American and the 300+ year African/American slave trade that enslavement and murdered over 100's of million Africans, and have left many African Americans today with no lineage.

Let's celebrate!

Sure it brought us all here, but for the people that were here, living off the rich land with bows and arrows, and the Africans needed to farm and build this new land, it was a devastating moment in the original "America's/Africans" history.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-08-2018, 04:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: His discovery led to the holocaust of the Native American and the 300+ year African/American slave trade that enslavement and murdered over 100's of million Africans, and have left many African Americans today with no lineage.

Let's celebrate!

Sure it brought us all here, but for the people that were here, living off the rich land with bows and arrows, and the Africans needed to farm and build this new land, it was a devastating moment in the original "America's/Africans" history.

You can blame him for what he did, but he’s not responsible for what followed.

(10-08-2018, 04:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: His discovery led to the holocaust of the Native American

The use of the term holocaust to describe anything other than the systematic annihilation of Jews by the Third Reich is highly offensive.  I expect a prompt apology.

Quote:and the 300+ year African/American slave trade that enslavement and murdered over 100's of million Africans, and have left many African Americans today with no lineage.

100's of millions?  Please source this claim, as the estimate of the entire world's population in 1700 was around 682 million.  As you're the obviously hysterical type who needs this type of disclaimer, I am not minimizing the horrors of the slave trade, merely pointing out your insanely hyperbolic framing of it's causalities.

Quote:Sure it brought us all here, but for the people that were here, living off the rich land with bows and arrows, and the Africans needed to farm and build this new land,  it was a devastating moment in the original "America's/Africans" history.

Sadly, every civilization in world history has been built on the backs of others.  It doesn't make it right, but it does make it predictable.
(10-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The use of the term holocaust to describe anything other than the systematic annihilation of Jews by the Third Reich is highly offensive.  I expect a prompt apology.

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbc9a9c4e7258554df4e9a5]

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/four-genocides-we-should-also-remember-on-holocaust-memorial-day-a6837246.html

(10-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: 100's of millions?  Please source this claim, as the estimate of the entire world's population in 1700 was around 682 million.  As you're the obviously hysterical type who needs this type of disclaimer, I am not minimizing the horrors of the slave trade, merely pointing out your insanely hyperbolic framing of it's causalities.[/quote[]

Hyperbole police are here! I love their work on the "left"!

Popcorn

[quote='Sociopathicsteelerfan' pid='609152' dateline='1539058437']Sadly, every civilization in world history has been built on the backs of others.  It doesn't make it right, but it does make it predictable.

And that doesn't mean that (hopefully, eventually) we can learn from it and stop it worldwide.

Or that we can't acknowledged it.
(10-09-2018, 01:13 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: The use of the term holocaust to describe anything other than the systematic annihilation of Jews by the Third Reich is highly offensive.  I expect a prompt apology.

100's of millions?  Please source this claim, as the estimate of the entire world's population in 1700 was around 682 million.  As you're the obviously hysterical type who needs this type of disclaimer, I am not minimizing the horrors of the slave trade, merely pointing out your insanely hyperbolic framing of it's causalities.

Sadly, every civilization in world history has been built on the backs of others.  It doesn't make it right, but it does make it predictable.

Learn what Holocaust actually means before you go crying and sounding so uninformed. Until then, I'm not teaching you anything else about America history since you clearly are too busy looking to excuse rather then educate yourself. Actually I'm not sure why you are so defensive about well known and documented American history....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-08-2018, 04:09 PM)jj22 Wrote: His discovery led to the holocaust of the Native American and the 300+ year African/American slave trade that enslavement and murdered over 100's of million Africans, and have left many African Americans today with no lineage.

Let's celebrate!

Sure it brought us all here, but for the people that were here, living off the rich land with bows and arrows, and the Africans needed to farm and build this new land,  it was a devastating moment in the original "America's/Africans" history.

Leave it to a Democrat to make it a Federal Holiday.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(10-09-2018, 10:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: Learn what Holocaust actually means before you go crying and sounding so uninformed.

It literally means "burnt offering".  The proper term for what you're trying to describe is genocide.  No one with a brain in their head uses holocaust to describe anything but the Nazi genocide of Jews , homosexuals and others.

Quote:Until then, I'm not teaching you anything else about America history since you clearly are too busy looking to excuse rather then educate yourself. Actually I'm not sure why you are so defensive about well known and documented American history....

From what I've seen in your constant troll posts there isn't a single thing you could teach me.  Empty threat for the win!
(10-09-2018, 09:12 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bbc9a9c4e7258554df4e9a5]

My god, you're bad at this.  

Quote:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/four-genocides-we-should-also-remember-on-holocaust-memorial-day-a6837246.html

And that doesn't mean that (hopefully, eventually) we can learn from it and stop it worldwide.

Or that we can't acknowledged it.

Exactly who is advocating for genocide and slavery that you're trying to oppose here?  Also, who isn't acknowledging it?  You've created a fake crisis, or more appropriately, your ideological twin did.