Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbus officer fatally shot young teen 'who drew BB gun'
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tyree-king-13-fatally-shot-by-police-in-columbus-ohio/ar-BBwbhTj?li=BBnb7Kz
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/15/us/ohio-columbus-police-kill-teen/index.html

The jist of what is alledged to have happened is that someone called in and said he was approached by 3 black males, one of whom was armed, and demanded money from him. When police arrived, they saw 3 young black men that fit the caller's description about a block away. When they approached them, two started to run, and when they caught up to them, one pulled a gun from his waistband. That prompted the one officer to draw his gun and shoot him. He was just 13 years old, and died a short time later.

It was discovered shortly afterwards it was actually a BB gun without a red/orange tip as it was removed. And it had a red laser attached to it. The picture of the gun is below per the CNN page link above.

[Image: 160915115913-13-yo-shot-by-cop-exlarge-169.jpg]
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Looks like a real gun.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Sounds like the kid had it coming. A good rule of thumb when dealing with police is 'don't pull a gun on them, regardless of it's authenticity'. Sucks he was young, but I think we can all agree he was gonna get picked off eventually.
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Im just curious how the BLM will respond to this. There was an armed robbery called in. Cops approached suspects. One of them pulled that out (allegedly), and then was fatally shot. If that is all true, I dont care what race the kid was, he was going down. I even knew back in the late 80's dont point a bb gun at anyone, and definitely never point it at a cop. And I grew up in white suburbia.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(09-15-2016, 03:10 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Looks like a real gun.

(09-15-2016, 03:10 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Sounds like the kid had it coming. A good rule of thumb when dealing with police is 'don't pull a gun on them, regardless of it's authenticity'. Sucks he was young, but I think we can all agree he was gonna get picked off eventually.

Yeah, I shared this one in the other thread today.  Some things will get you shot.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
That totally sucks, but if the kid removed the orange tip himself, then he know what he was doing.
My concern is some people in the past have tried to reduce the realism of BB guns like that because of instances where kids get shot because of it. My concern there is some people carry those specifically because it looks like a real gun without being a real gun. Some people don't want to carry a real firearm, but realize having what looks like a gun might help scare off a home intruder or an assault.
(09-15-2016, 04:06 PM)Benton Wrote: My concern is some people in the past have tried to reduce the realism of BB guns like that because of instances where kids get shot because of it. My concern there is some people carry those specifically because it looks like a real gun without being a real gun. Some people don't want to carry a real firearm, but realize having what looks like a gun might help scare off a home intruder or an assault.

It is illegal to remove or cover the orange tip of a fake firearm. If they are reducing the "fake" look of them they are putting their own lives in danger and breaking a law. It is specifically in place to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening. Unfortunately, there is a loophole in the law that excludes BB and pellet guns. This is another example of why it should include all guns that aren't real.
(09-15-2016, 03:28 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Im just curious how the BLM will respond to this. There was an armed robbery called in. Cops approached suspects. One of them pulled that out (allegedly), and then was fatally shot. If that is all true, I dont care what race the kid was, he was going down. I even knew back in the late 80's dont point a bb gun at anyone, and definitely never point it at a cop. And I grew up in white suburbia.

Like this is my guess: Those racist cops murdered that child with his toy. 
(09-15-2016, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: It is illegal to remove or cover the orange tip of a fake firearm. If they are reducing the "fake" look of them they are putting their own lives in danger and breaking a law. It is specifically in place to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening. Unfortunately, there is a loophole in the law that excludes BB and pellet guns. This is another example of why it should include all guns that aren't real.

That's not entirely true (the orange tip thing). It's illegal to sell or ship a fake gun without an orange tip. As many airsoft enthusiasts will tell you, swapping out the stock barrel for any reason will usually net you a black/silver/whatever color barrel you want all the way down. This is usually done because many airsoft guns don't come with threads for barrel extensions and mock silencers or for performance issues. 

In such a case, the barrel does not need an orange tip and it is not illegal to not have one. It is, however, ill advised to take said modified gun out into public.

More information on the subject can be found on many airsoft retailers websites that I won't name because they don't pay me and it's a breach of forum rules and etiquette.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(09-15-2016, 04:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: It is illegal to remove or cover the orange tip of a fake firearm. If they are reducing the "fake" look of them they are putting their own lives in danger and breaking a law. It is specifically in place to try and prevent this kind of thing from happening. Unfortunately, there is a loophole in the law that excludes BB and pellet guns. This is another example of why it should include all guns that aren't real.

True, but making it look more fake wouldn't help those trying to use it as a self defense scare tactic.
(09-15-2016, 04:45 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: That's not entirely true (the orange tip thing). It's illegal to sell or ship a fake gun without an orange tip. As many airsoft enthusiasts will tell you, swapping out the stock barrel for any reason will usually net you a black/silver/whatever color barrel you want all the way down. This is usually done because many airsoft guns don't come with threads for barrel extensions and mock silencers or for performance issues. 

In such a case, the barrel does not need an orange tip and it is not illegal to not have one. It is, however, ill advised to take said modified gun out into public.

More information on the subject can be found on many airsoft retailers websites that I won't name because they don't pay me and it's a breach of forum rules and etiquette.

That's unfortunate they found a loophole. If you remember back to when that legislation came about the intent of the law was to keep things like this from happening. It looks like it needs to be rewritten to include post shipping.
(09-15-2016, 04:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: That's unfortunate they found a loophole. If you remember back to when that legislation came about the intent of the law was to keep things like this from happening. It looks like it needs to be rewritten to include post shipping.

It'd be a waste of taxpayer dollars. People who don't want orange tips won't have them.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Thats what i always say. If confronted by the cops RUN!!!! If they catch you pull out anything that can be perceived as a weapon. Follow those two rules and no police encounter will ever go bad.
(09-15-2016, 05:11 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: It'd be a waste of taxpayer dollars. People who don't want orange tips won't have them.

You can literally say that about almost any law.

Why have littering laws, people who want to litter are going to litter?
Why have speeding laws, people who want to speed will speed?
Why have drinking age laws, people who want to drink will drink?

The point is it adds repercussions that as people get caught and punished for doing it others may not be dumb enough to follow suit. It is in fact for their own good so they don't get shot.
(09-15-2016, 05:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: You can literally say that about almost any law. The point is it adds repercussions that as people get caught and punished for doing it others may not be dumb enough to follow suit. It is in fact for their own good so they don't get shot.

Eh I'm of the mindset that if you're dumb enough to pull a fake gun on someone, you probably deserve it.
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
How effective is an orange tip? I've always thought it a bit unreasonable to expect a cop to wait/determine a gun being pulled from the waistband has an orange tip or not. Maybe if it's a little kid most cops naturally hesitate, but once you get up to 12-13 and above, I don't think I would wait to see if it's an orange tip or not.

Make the whole thing orange, or blue, or whatever. Just make it easy to distinguish from a real gun.
--------------------------------------------------------

(09-15-2016, 05:21 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Eh I'm of the mindset that if you're dumb enough to pull a fake gun on someone, you probably deserve it.

But doea an innocent unarmed person deserve to be robbed at gunpoint by a kid who could not get his hands on a real gun?

The intent of the law was not just to protect the owner of the gun.
(09-18-2016, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But doea an innocent unarmed person deserve to be robbed at gunpoint by a kid who could not get his hands on a real gun?

The intent of the law was not just to protect the owner of the gun.

Are you seriously asking if someone deserves to be robbed? Is that a serious question or are you trying to make some nonsense point?
Unhallowed, be thy name
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(09-18-2016, 12:13 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Are you seriously asking if someone deserves to be robbed? Is that a serious question or are you trying to make some nonsense point?

My point is very serious.

Seems everyone understands it except you.

The intent of the law wa not just to protect the owner of the gun.