Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbus officer fatally shot young teen 'who drew BB gun'
(09-18-2016, 12:06 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But doea an innocent unarmed person deserve to be robbed at gunpoint by a kid who could not get his hands on a real gun?

The intent of the law was not just to protect the owner of the gun.

True, but an ineffective law is ineffective regardless of its intent.  A large percentage of our society knows next to nothing about guns, they wouldn't be able to tell the difference even with the orange tip.  Add the fact that the orange tip is simple to remove and you have an ineffective law.  Around a year ago we had a case in which a group of kids was pointing a replica handgun (laser pointer) at employees of a bar/restaurant.  The first victim, a female bartender, recognized the gun as fake and told the kids to eff off.  The second victim, a guy who worked in the kitchen who came out to see what the commotion was, thought the gun was real and reacted accordingly.  The gun in question was insanely obvious as a fake to anyone even remotely familiar with guns.  So, again, ineffective law.
(09-20-2016, 10:37 AM)fredtoast Wrote: My point is very serious.

Seems everyone understands it except you.

The intent of the law wa not just to protect the owner of the gun.  

And what does that point have to do with my line of thinking that if you pull a fake gun on someone you deserve to get shot?

I know what the point of the law was. But even if they were to pass new laws to prevent any sort of fake barrel from not being orange, a criminal is still going to remove the tip or paint over it or sand the paint off. Almost as if criminals ignore the law.

Merp. 
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
(09-20-2016, 12:04 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote:  Almost as if criminals ignore the law.

Wait. Are you saying that passing laws does NOT stop the illegal behaviors? But people *coughliberalscough* have said the solution to many unwanted behaviors have been to pass tough(er) laws. Are you saying that doesn't work? Shocked

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-20-2016, 12:10 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Wait. Are you saying that passing laws does NOT stop the illegal behaviors? But people *coughliberalscough* have said the solution to many unwanted behaviors have been to pass tough(er) laws. Are you saying that doesn't work? Shocked

Ninja

I don't know what a lot of people are trying to say in this thread.  

Passing tougher laws does effect the rate of crime.  Are you saying it does not?

And making things legal means they happen more often.  Do you disagree with that?
(09-20-2016, 12:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know what a lot of people are trying to say in this thread.  

Passing tougher laws does effect the rate of crime.  Are you saying it does not?

And making things legal means they happen more often.  Do you disagree with that?

Quite simply, what I was saying is that many of those (and it's not just one side or the other, politically) that call for certain laws to be enacted so as to curb certain behaviors often act and say things that make it seem like the passing of said law will stop all instances of said unwanted behavior when that is simply not true.
[Image: giphy.gif]