Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Combine my mocks
This mock is based off a few assumptions:

1) We resign Sanu/Jones and Iloka/Nelson, so WR and Saftey become needs, but not dire needs.
2) We don't bring in any free agents. Of course I'm sure we will but I'm not going to guess at who and where, so my picks will address current team needs.
3) I use CBS prospect rankings. I usually will pick players in the range of 10 spots before to 10 spots after the Bengals' pick.
4) Not assuming comp picks yet.

1(24). Eli Apple, CB 6'1" 200lbs. Going to stick with Apple here. Really shone during the combine on just how athletically gifted he is. Give him a year of developing and ST play and we can let DreK walk after this year.
[Image: 19846263-standard.jpg]

2(53). Austin Johnson, DT 6'3" 314lbs. Time to get a run-stuffer in the pipeline to replace Peko. Johnson is talented enough to go higher than this, but the sheer depth at DT will push him down, lucky us. I also like Washington or Ridgeway here if Johnson is gone.
[Image: NFL%20Combine%20Football%20(2)]

3(87). Sterling Shepard, WR 5'10" 194lbs. Highly productive (223 rec, 3,482 yds, 26 tds) during his college career. Reminds me of Golden Tate. Can play inside, outside and return punts.
[Image: 56d4678040d2c.image.jpg]

4(119). Scooby Wright III, LB 6'0" 239lbs. Not really sure what to do with Scooby, he can probably play MLB or SLB. I just know he can tackle and rush the passer with the best of them.
[Image: ap_4209308845.jpg?itok=f6Dr-3-G&timestam...1456766657]

5(151). KJ Dillon, SS 6'0" 210lbs. This guy is basically a Williams clone. Can play either safety spot or even S/LB hybrid (which he played a lot at WVA). He does need to work on his tackling technique due to some missed tackles, but when he does connect, he blows guys up. (Couldn't find a combine image)
[Image: 544353918f233.image.jpg?resize=760%2C490]

6(183). Cayleb Jones, WR 6'3" 209lbs. Taking a flier on a very talented deep threat that might need some motivation and development to reach full potential.
[Image: CcWCsSkUUAAYaEH.jpg]

7(215). Joe Dahl, OG 6'4" 303lbs. Some interior depth. Experienced at OG and OT, but not ideal length to hold up at OT in the NFL for any extended period.
[Image: NFL_Combine_Football-780x520.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Don't like Apple.  If I was going to start with a corner (which I think the Bengals will) I like Jackson, Mackenzie or Fuller - in about that order.

I really like Johnson.  Seems very strong and his #s for 2015 are excellent.  Have not thought to this point that he'll be there, but some of the DTs (notably Billings) are dropping on some boards so maybe he does.  I'd be very happy with him in the 2nd.

I'd be thrilled if Shepherd and Wright were there in the 3rd and 4th.  I don't see it, but I'd definitely be up for them at that point.

I don't know your strong safety, but I like his battle mask

I don't know Jones or Dahl - but I like your rationale
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2016, 04:21 PM)3wt Wrote: Don't like Apple.  If I was going to start with a corner (which I think the Bengals will) I like Jackson, Mackenzie or Fuller - in about that order.

I really like Johnson.  Seems very strong and his #s for 2015 are excellent.  Have not thought to this point that he'll be there, but some of the DTs (notably Billings) are dropping on some boards so maybe he does.  I'd be very happy with him in the 2nd.

I'd be thrilled if Shepherd and Wright were there in the 3rd and 4th.  I don't see it, but I'd definitely be up for them at that point.

I don't know your strong safety, but I like his battle mask

I don't know Jones or Dahl - but I like your rationale

Thanks. You should check out Dillon if you like those safeties that can play the LB hybrid role, called the "spur" at West Virginia.
Reply/Quote
Not a fan of apple. He has tight hips and if you watch he had trouble pivoting his him from side to side and coming out of the back pedal. Deff not a fan.. Like Johnson and his speed and explosiveness though.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Yeah, i am with the other dudes about Apple, the more and more i research the guy the less i like.

Dude is seriously a lot like Kirkpatrick, tight hips and plays too physical before the ball comes his way.

Would be a penalty machine.

We need a Center...

Other than that i like the Mock a lot. Austin and Scooby are two of my faves and also really like the Receivers.
Reply/Quote
Making too much contact downfield was a knock on Dennard as well. That is something that can be coached out. Apple is not my personal choice for a first round pick, but it's a pick the Bengals would make if Jones and Hall leave.
Reply/Quote
(03-06-2016, 09:38 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Making too much contact downfield was a knock on Dennard as well. That is something that can be coached out. Apple is not my personal choice for a first round pick, but it's a pick the Bengals would make if Jones and Hall leave.

I'd rather grab Jackson III if I had my choice !
Reply/Quote