Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Come again, Housh?
(06-10-2015, 01:27 AM)blt4584 Wrote: I don't think he was saying that they should be lazy. I took it to mean that they should think a little bit and take a look at how the coverages are set up first instead of just running without thinking.

I don't think he worded it very well though.

That makes more sense.   Didn't seem like Housh to advise half assed play.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 12:41 AM)eoxyod Wrote: They were out doing whatever. They weren't putting the necessary work in to become better football players, let alone people

After listening to the Akili Smith podcast last year and how the locker room was back in 99-00, I wouldn't be surprised if a few players were practicing hung over every day.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:44 AM)Wyche Wrote: Unless they're Nolan Ryan..... Ninja

Nolan Ryan was one of the all time freaks of nature.
Reply/Quote
I don't get where people are getting the idea that he's condoning taking plays off... That isn't what I interpreted at all. He's saying take the plays the defense gives you, you don't have to go for the home run every play. A lot of plays WR's run (especially slot type guys like TJ) are option routes, where you can either go 10 yards and stop, or stop and go depending on what the defense is giving you. I think he's saying if they're giving you the cushion, take your 10 yard completion. Where as a young stud might think to himself " Forget 10 yards. I'm gonna run a sick double move on this CB and have a 70 yard touchdown." Take your easy 10 and keep moving the ball.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 08:28 PM)bearstronaut Wrote: I don't get where people are getting the idea that he's condoning taking plays off...  That isn't what I interpreted at all.  He's saying take the plays the defense gives you, you don't have to go for the home run every play.  A lot of plays WR's run (especially slot type guys like TJ) are option routes, where you can either go 10 yards and stop, or stop and go depending on what the defense is giving you.  I think he's saying if they're giving you the cushion, take your 10 yard completion.  Where as a young stud might think to himself " Forget 10 yards. I'm gonna run a sick double move on this CB and have a 70 yard touchdown."  Take your easy 10 and keep moving the ball.

That's the nice thing to think. Whenever a coach like figure is telling guys to not run their best route and to make it easy on themselves I have a problem. And that is what he did. I saw Carson Palmer irate at his receivers way more than I have ever seen Dalton in his years here. This isn't about making it easy on yourself. Its about the team. Our old blood Bengals did not have the proper team mentality. We went to the playoffs twice with Carson Palmer the golden boy and Chad and TJ. Dalton and AJ have gotten us there 4 straight years. So what would you rather have? Balls to the walls every time, or try when you think its the right time? Because I get irritated when I see AJ not go 100% when it easily could have made a difference if he was.

16 freaking games. Making millions of dollars. I want the best route every time............................................
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hated when I read this little tid bit

“I told a few of them today you don’t have to go all out and run your best route all the time,” Houshmandzadeh said. “See what the defense is giving you. You know where the defense is going to sit. You know what they’re going to play, so you automatically know what they have to do. Make it easy on yourself.”

Not the kind of coach I want to stick around if he is telling our guys not to give their best every play. What the hell kind of coaching is that?

Maybe he meant that because, when you're running your route your hardest, you're not watching the DB to see what he's giving you and what he's not. Maybe going 3/4 speed a play or two let's you size up the defense a little better.

I don't know. Not trying to cover for him. It's really unclear WTF he meant. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2015, 02:00 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: That's the nice thing to think. Whenever a coach like figure is telling guys to not run their best route and to make it easy on themselves I have a problem. And that is what he did. I saw Carson Palmer irate at his receivers way more than I have ever seen Dalton in his years here. This isn't about making it easy on yourself. Its about the team. Our old blood Bengals did not have the proper team mentality. We went to the playoffs twice with Carson Palmer the golden boy and Chad and TJ. Dalton and AJ have gotten us there 4 straight years. So what would you rather have? Balls to the walls every time, or try when you think its the right time? Because I get irritated when I see AJ not go 100% when it easily could have made a difference if he was.

16 freaking games. Making millions of dollars. I want the best route every time............................................

I prefer production over effort.

Sometimes playing smart leads to more production.  

When I was in college I worked at the Racquetball center. I played a lot and got pretty good. Many times I would play against guys who smashed into walls and threw themselves on the floor every point. But by playing smart I could beat them.
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 11:03 PM)Toy Cannon Wrote: From Hobson's article about Houshmandzadeh:

“It’s a different culture,” Houshmandzadeh said. “These guys have come into a winner. When I came in, we were trying to become winners. The guys that were older than me, they were worse than me outside football. I get the impression the guys that are coming in now, they’re coming into guys that are more serious. It’s just a different culture. You can see it. You can talk to certain guys and see what they’re like outside football. Winning breeds a different environment. Winning solves a lot.”

Can anyone help me understand the bolded sentence?

I believe he was talking about the guys who were in a losing culture here, didn't help them
outside of football and we have started a winning culture here which really helps outside of
football. Just my take though. I didn't take it as he is an angel or anything.
(06-09-2015, 11:46 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I hated when I read this little tid bit

“I told a few of them today you don’t have to go all out and run your best route all the time,” Houshmandzadeh said. “See what the defense is giving you. You know where the defense is going to sit. You know what they’re going to play, so you automatically know what they have to do. Make it easy on yourself.”

Not the kind of coach I want to stick around if he is telling our guys not to give their best every play. What the hell kind of coaching is that?

He is talking about taking what the Defense gives you and if you have a QB that is on the same
page as the WR this can really beat Defenses cause they have no clue. Bottomline what he is sayin
can work as long as the QB and WR are on the same page, if not, bad habit to take on.

But i could be wrong, this is just how i took these quotes.
Reply/Quote
It's not that hard to get. He's not saying to slack off he's telling them to pay attention to what's there to take. And whoever's saying Housh took to many plays off really needs to think about the fact he's our 3rd all time productive WR. He may just know more than you.
[Image: 52393749789596023645410.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Anyone that has ever played a down at WR should be able to understand the message that he was trying to convey. Sometimes it's best to squat and take what the D is giving. The problem is that this teams current QB doesn't seem to have the ability to read what the D is giving up, aka a Brady,P.Manning,Rivers type of football IQ; and thus throws the ball into coverage usually resulting in a pick.
Reply/Quote