Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comey and the Hatch Act
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/31/politics/what-is-the-hatch-act/index.html

I feel like he did violate it, especially since he stil has no clue what the emails are pertaining to, other than they werent sent to/or from Clinton
People suck
(10-31-2016, 11:15 AM)Griever Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/31/politics/what-is-the-hatch-act/index.html

I feel like he did violate it, especially since he stil has no clue what the emails are pertaining to, other than they werent sent to/or from Clinton

I don't know if he did or not. I think there is an ethics violation here, but other than that I can't say whether he violated the law. I've been listening to interviews about this and the consensus among many people that should know is that he didn't, but there are some people that should know that say he did. My guess is that there will be an investigation into his actions and there will be no charges but his resignation will occur.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
He did something stupid, but there is enough plausible deniability that he probably won't be formally found to be in violation of anything.

That sounds oddly familiar...
the worst that can come of this for him is him being fired, which was going to happen either way after the election is done more than likely
People suck
(10-31-2016, 11:37 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if he did or not. I think there is an ethics violation here, but other than that I can't say whether he violated the law. I've been listening to interviews about this and the consensus among many people that should know is that he didn't, but there are some people that should know that say he did. My guess is that there will be an investigation into his actions and there will be no charges but his resignation will occur.

His resignation is already going to happen, what he can do now is save face.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
It's a damned if you, damned if you don't for him. If he reveals it the Dems accuse him of meddling in the election. If he does not then the GOP would later claim he withheld information to meddle in the election.

The fact is that if Huma had turned this laptop over during the initial investigation this doesn't happen. She swore under oath she had turned in every device with e-mails on it. So she either lied because there's things on this lap top that are bad for Hillary, she lied because there's things on that lap top that are bad for her or she genuinely forgot about this lap top (yeah, I'm not buying that possibility). She definitely showed that her poor judgment is not confined to who shes chooses to have a relationship with.
(10-31-2016, 05:26 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's a damned if you, damned if you don't for him.  If he reveals it the Dems accuse him of meddling in the election.  If he does not then the GOP would later claim he withheld information to meddle in the election.

The GOP would only have a legitimate complaint if he had information damaging to Hillary, and he does not have that.
Did Comey publicly release the letter he sent to Congress? Like, did he send it to news outlets and reporters? If no, then I don't think he violated the Hatch Act. I would say whomever released the initial letter is the one that is guilty.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did Comey publicly release the letter he sent to Congress? Like, did he send it to news outlets and reporters? If no, then I don't think he violated the Hatch Act. I would say whomever released the initial letter is the one that is guilty.

I don't think he made it public, I do think he knew full well it would be made public. That being said, I still don't think his intent was to influence the election.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did Comey publicly release the letter he sent to Congress?

Yes.  The letter was not private or classified in any way.  That is why we all know about it.

Doesn't matter if he sent it to a newspaper or a congressman.  He put it out there for public consumption.
(11-01-2016, 12:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Did Comey publicly release the letter he sent to Congress? Like, did he send it to news outlets and reporters? If no, then I don't think he violated the Hatch Act. I would say whomever released the initial letter is the one that is guilty.

(11-01-2016, 02:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes. The letter was not private or classified in any way. That is why we all know about it.

I did read there was a "c" pertaining to the message. Most likely meant "a" and "b' had already been sent.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-01-2016, 12:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The GOP would only have a legitimate complaint if he had information damaging to Hillary, and he does not have that.

The mere fact that the investigation is re-opened is damaging, hence this thread.  In any event, what makes you capable of saying that definitively?
(11-02-2016, 12:04 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:   In any event, what makes you capable of saying that definitively?

Because he has no idea what he has right now.

You can't complain about him hiding damaging information when he has no idea if he has any damaging information.
(11-02-2016, 02:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Because he has no idea what he has right now.

I didn't say he definitively did or not.  You're the one who did that.

Quote:You can't complain about him hiding damaging information when he has no idea if he has any damaging information.

I didn't complain, yet another thing you're wrong about.  That along with the fact that you apparently do know that he doesn't.
(11-02-2016, 02:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I didn't complain, yet another thing you're wrong about.  That along with the fact that you apparently do know that he doesn't.

Excuse me.  I meant the GOP could not complain.

I know that he doesn't because that is what he said.  He doe not know what is in the emails.  He admitted that when he wrote the letter.
(11-02-2016, 09:20 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Excuse me.  I meant the GOP could not complain.

I know that he doesn't because that is what he said.  He doe not know what is in the emails.  He admitted that when he wrote the letter.

He doesn't know does not equal nothing damaging to Clinton.  It certainly doesn't mean you know what's in the e-mails.
(11-02-2016, 10:59 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He doesn't know does not equal nothing damaging to Clinton.  It certainly doesn't mean you know what's in the e-mails.

Okay.  I don't know why we are all tied up with semantics.

If you were to ask Comey to present all of the damaging information he has from these emails right now you know what he would produce.  .  .  .          

Nothing.

So the GOP can not complain about him hiding any damaging information because right now he has no damaging information to hide.
From my understanding the reason he sent the letter is because he was required to as an update on his testimony to Congress. If so the Hatch Act doesn't come into play.
Yup first sentence of the letter specifically says he is writing to update his testimony. Absolutely nothing illegal about that at all. Just the left trying to do damage control and make it about Comey and not Hilldog