Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming To PBS September 15th A Ken Burns film - Country Music
I'll get sucked into this too, just like everything else.
16.5 hours over 8 episodes.

https://rollingstone.com/music/music-features/ken-burns-country-music-history-doc-878470/
[Image: nkiZ5dP4?format=jpg&name=600x314]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Big fan of Ken Burns.

Raised on country music and still a big fan of bluegrass and roots folk music.

So I'll be watching.
Reply/Quote
I just finished my two year long endeavor of watching Vietnam...

I'm beyond excited about this one.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2019, 03:46 PM)jason Wrote: I just finished my two year long endeavor of watching Vietnam...

I'm beyond excited about this one.

That was tought to watch.  The first parts were very educational about the roots of the conflict, but in the middle it was just the same midless killing and corruption over and over and over again.

But it was well done and I watched it all.

Crazy now to think thsat tis country went through the Vietnam conflict and the civil rights movement at the same time.  People say we area divided country now, but back then people were getting killed in the streets all the time.  People freaked out a couple of years ago when a woman dies in Charlottesville, but people died in almost all of the big riots int he sixties and a dozen student were killed by police/national guard in three different college campus protests.
Reply/Quote
So far this has been typical Ken Burns which means that it is awesome.

I had always heard of The Carter Family before . . . Holy Shit! I had NO idea how deep their impact was on Country Music. Same thing with Bill Monroe, that's a name I had heard but never knew he was the one that created Bluegrass.

My favorite line so far was Merle Haggard's comment on the wild Bakersfield Honky Tonks, 25 of them, all of which had a band and some of them had live bands 24 hours a day. "If you were to bring somebody back from the dead that lived at that time and turned 'em loose right now, they'd be in jail in an hour."
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 04:28 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: So far this has been typical Ken Burns which means that it is awesome.

I had always heard of The Carter Family before . . . Holy Shit! I had NO idea how deep their impact was on Country Music. Same thing with Bill Monroe, that's a name I had heard but never knew he was the one that created Bluegrass.

My favorite line so far was Merle Haggard's comment on the wild Bakersfield Honky Tonks, 25 of them, all of which had a band and some of them had live bands 24 hours a day. "If you were to bring somebody back from the dead that lived at that time and turned 'em loose right now, they'd be in jail in an hour."

My favorite quote was about Roger Miller. He was on speed... "How long can Roger Miller stay up?" "Well I've known him a year and a half; I'm not sure how long he'd been up before that.".

I've really learned a lot about the women of country music. I must admit that I've sorta ignored them until seeing this.

You're right though... Typical Ken Burns badassery.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(09-25-2019, 11:39 PM)jason Wrote: My favorite quote was about Roger Miller. He was on speed... "How long can Roger Miller stay up?" "Well I've known him a year and a half; I'm not sure how long he'd been up before that.".

Hank Williams friend (forget his name) talking about how bad Hank looked the last time he saw him

"He looked like Death eating a cracker."

I have no idea what that means, but it cracked me up.
Reply/Quote
Shameless plug copied from the main board.

My station will break from our wide variety programming and stream two hours as a sample of our upcoming streaming Country music station which is 100% recorded off of vinyl records.

Tonight from 6 pm until 8 Alaskan time which means 10:00 until Midnight in Cincituckyland. We will probably continue this every Sunday night. Link is in my signature.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote