Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avengers: End Game
*SPOILER ALERT* (read at own risk starting in second post)

“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Loved it, great ending that brought together all the movies of the main avengers. I know that there will be now a second phase, but this one has come full circle. Can't wait to go see it again!

I thought the Captain America ending was rightfully done, as with Tony and the Black Widow.

There is so much in the movie, dont even know where to start. Just cool to see all these characters, even if for a few seconds, all rolled in one movie.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Just got done seeing it. My knee jerk reaction:

As a movie in and of itself? Pretty good. Doesn't top Winter Soldier for me. 

As fan service and a culmination of 11 (12?) years of films? Holy ***** shit that was nuts.

I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow. Theres a lot to love, but I was disappointed on more than one occasion.
Reply/Quote
My absolutely faveorite super hero movie of all time. It tied 11 years of movies together perfectly. Honestly if Marvel wanted to just stop making movies after that I'd be totally fine. That was incredible.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As aqua said, tied things together nicely. Seriously, when you think about the characters and their movie ethos, they couldn't have done better. Cap always just wanted to go home, marry the girl of his dreams. Tony was driven by preventing what he saw in the first avengers, and he got to do that. Widow wiped out the red.

I got close to guessing the ending. I thought Tony would put on the gauntlet and cap would get killed trying to buy him time, then Bucky would take up the shield and falcon would take up Ironman in the after credits.

And speaking of after credits, I watched it with my son and told him we should leave. I told him there wouldn't be much of anything after, because all of that was teasing up to this.

But all in all, outstanding movie. And I'm guessing Thor is in guardians 3?
Reply/Quote
I enjoyed it and I felt they did a good job of wrapping things up, but it had a lot of issues. I think Infinity War did a great job of incorporating all the different characters into a very balanced film, but this felt like a jumbled cluster of a movie. It felt a lot like Batman vs Superman in that there was just too much crammed into one movie. Relatively important events like Banner going from not being able to turn into the Hulk to having full control were just glossed over, which wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it in IW. Thanos's arc has been a total mess. They went from hinting at him being the death loving character in the comics in the teaser endings in the previous movies to making him a sympathetic baddie in IW to a generic 2D cardboard cutout that was stood up just to be knocked down in Endgame. While I felt Black Widow and Iron Man had fitting ends, I really felt like Cap should have died in a heroic sacrifice instead of getting the happy ending.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: I enjoyed it and I felt they did a good job of wrapping things up, but it had a lot of issues.  I think Infinity War did a great job of incorporating all the different characters into a very balanced film, but this felt like a jumbled cluster of a movie.  It felt a lot like Batman vs Superman in that there was just too much crammed into one movie.  Relatively important events like Banner going from not being able to turn into the Hulk to having full control were just glossed over, which wouldn't have been so bad if they hadn't made such a big deal out of it in IW. Thanos's arc has been a total mess.  They went from hinting at him being the death loving character in the comics in the teaser endings in the previous movies to making him a sympathetic baddie in IW to a generic 2D cardboard cutout that was stood up just to be knocked down in Endgame.  While I felt Black Widow and Iron Man had fitting ends, I really felt like Cap should have died in a heroic sacrifice instead of getting the happy ending.

I think the best way that I have been able to sum it up is that Endgame is not a movie that is meant to be thought about, it's simply meant to be consumed.

The plot holes are galore. The brushing over of important things is plentiful. Their own "rules" about time travel are wildly inconsistent.

I like the comparison to the DC movies. Marvel has certainly made movies that make you think about something. Whether it's post 9/11militarism in the original Iron Man to overreaching government authority in Winter Soldier and Civil War or Nationalism/Isolationism in Black Panther. But Endgame, much like BvS and Justice League, is there for the spectacle.

There's nothing inherently wrong about having a movie that is really just 3+ hours of fan service and payoffs set up in a decade's worth of films. I just feel like Marvel could have taken more risks with this one.
Reply/Quote
I thought it was great. I remember around 2000 or so when the X Men movies were first coming out. Back then it was absolutely laughable to just about everyone to think of making movies about characters like Thor and Captain America successfully. Black Panther was relatively unknown to anyone but real comic book fans. Captain Marvel? Yeah, right.

Now they've put things together so well that they can take practically any character and make them into a cash cow. People are almost compelled to watch due to the tie-in in the shared universe.

It's not just the effects, either. Lots of comic book movies with modern effects have been trash.

Also, Lebowski Thor is pretty damn hilarious.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:29 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I think the best way that I have been able to sum it up is that Endgame is not a movie that is meant to be thought about, it's simply meant to be consumed.

The plot holes are galore. The brushing over of important things is plentiful. Their own "rules" about time travel are wildly inconsistent.

I like the comparison to the DC movies. Marvel has certainly made movies that make you think about something. Whether it's post 9/11militarism in the original Iron Man to overreaching government authority in Winter Soldier and Civil War or Nationalism/Isolationism in Black Panther. But Endgame, much like BvS and Justice League, is there for the spectacle.

There's nothing inherently wrong about having a movie that is really just 3+ hours of fan service and payoffs set up in a decade's worth of films. I just feel like Marvel could have taken more risks with this one.

You hit the nail on the head.  It's an entertaining spectacle, but would be completely forgettable if it wasn't the conclusion to 20+ movies of build up.  While I enjoyed it, I was also disappointed with it, because the MCU has shown that they can do the huge team up movies so well with Avengers and IW.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 09:29 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I think the best way that I have been able to sum it up is that Endgame is not a movie that is meant to be thought about, it's simply meant to be consumed.

There are always plot holes when it comes to time travel. I'd argue no movie has done time travel perfectly. The only one that's even close is Interstellar and that's because they had a theoretical physicist working with the director and writers. Even then, they had to go into a black hole to go into the past. 

I think killing off Black Widow and Iron Man is a pretty big risk. I was definitely expecting Cap or Iron Man to die, but it still hurt to watch. He went out in the best way possible. 

Yeah the movie is a lot of fan service (mostly in the 3rd act), but the fans have made 11 years of Marvel movies successful. I don't see fan service as a bad thing. If Endgame really was just a spectacle (similar to BvS or Justice League) it wouldn't have made 1.2 billion dollars on opening weekend. To put that in perspective, it did 1.8 times the entire theatrical run of Justice League in 4 days. It only needs a multiplier of Civil War to pass Avatar as the highest grossing movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation). Many people thought that would be impossible. Nothing like this has ever been done in movie history. It really can't be compared to anything else. 
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2019, 09:23 AM)Aquapod770 Wrote: There are always plot holes when it comes to time travel. I'd argue no movie has done time travel perfectly. The only one that's even close is Interstellar and that's because they had a theoretical physicist working with the director and writers. Even then, they had to go into a black hole to go into the past. 

I think killing off Black Widow and Iron Man is a pretty big risk. I was definitely expecting Cap or Iron Man to die, but it still hurt to watch. He went out in the best way possible. 

Yeah the movie is a lot of fan service (mostly in the 3rd act), but the fans have made 11 years of Marvel movies successful. I don't see fan service as a bad thing. If Endgame really was just a spectacle (similar to BvS or Justice League) it wouldn't have made 1.2 billion dollars on opening weekend. To put that in perspective, it did 1.8 times the entire theatrical run of Justice League in 4 days. It only needs a multiplier of Civil War to pass Avatar as the highest grossing movie of all time (not adjusted for inflation). Many people thought that would be impossible. Nothing like this has ever been done in movie history. It really can't be compared to anything else. 

Well, Avatar was really just a spectacle, as well. I mean, it's Pocahontas in space with ground breaking special effects instead of musical numbers.  If you're not adjusting for inflation, Fast and the Furious 7 is #6 all time and Fate of the Furious also cracks the Top 20.  While I actually liked most of the F&F franchise for what it was, disposable action movies, they are by no means great movies.  Just because the movie made a ton of bank doesn't mean it isn't just a spectacle or that it's a well made movie.

This was always going to make insane bank because it's the climax to a 20 some movie plot arc.  Marvel did an amazing job with their meta plot and it's kept fans coming back and coming back.  Being fair, the MCU has some great movies, but it's got some big time misses and a lot of pretty good to average super hero movies.  DC made a mess of their meta plot from the word go, so their movies don't have the same momentum or inspire the same brand loyalty.  As a result, fans judge their movies more on their actual merit.  If they make good movies like Aquaman and Wonder Woman, fans will admit it and turn out, but average flicks like JL and BvS are skippable in a market oversaturated with super hero films.  
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 08:49 PM)Whatever Wrote: I enjoyed it and I felt they did a good job of wrapping things up, but it had a lot of issues.  I think Infinity War did a great job of incorporating all the different characters into a very balanced film, but this felt like a jumbled cluster of a movie. 

I had a similar feeling at the end of the movie, but I like the mulligan they let everyone take. Sure, it was stretching the wall of believably how the last fight came about, but it gave them a true chance for 'Earth versus Thanos Part 2.' And after the movie was over and I had time to think about it, if you go straight from IW to Endgame as just one whole movie, I think it will work better.
Reply/Quote
So did Captains America make out with his own grand nice in Civil War?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Passing Avatar is almost a certainty at this point. 3 billion world wide gross is now in play. That's insane.
Reply/Quote