Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp Pick
Well its nice to know when the Bengals make a bad choice it doesn't just end there.
We will only be getting a 5th round comp pick for Whitworth. Thanks alot Mike

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/11/andrew-whitworth-bengals-5th-round-compensatory-pick/
Reply/Quote
Yeah this was expected all along...whit shoulda been tagged when we didn’t have a deal in place before FA
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 05:00 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Well its nice to know when the Bengals make a bad choice it doesn't just end there.
We will only be getting a 5th round comp pick for Whitworth. Thanks alot Mike

http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/11/andrew-whitworth-bengals-5th-round-compensatory-pick/

Mikey Brown sees a 5th round comp in the future as more valuable than a winning season today.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 05:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Mikey Brown sees a 5th round comp in the future as more valuable than a winning season today.

Yep, was able to save money not paying Whit while also getting a free 5th rounder under rookie wage scale for 4 years
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:02 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Yep, was able to save money not paying Whit while also getting a free 5th rounder under rookie wage scale for 4 years

Good Lord man he is 82 years old. Lets go for the damn thing instead of pinching pennies!
I remember before last season started that I was hoping to sign free agents and just assuming that we were keeping Whitworth , Zeitler and Fitzpatrick. Then we said that Whit and Zeitler were leaving and we didn't do much in FA.  That was mind boggling to me.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 05:58 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Mikey Brown sees a 5th round comp in the future as more valuable than a winning season today.

Yeah, that explains the abundance of Lombardi trophies in Cincinnati!
Reply/Quote
Definately the biggest screw up lately letting Whit go.

It was insulting not to give the guy atleast the same contract he got from the Rams. Or at the very least tag him.

I know he was getting up there in terms of age but he always took great care of himself and we all saw from last
season he had years in him. He is a coach off the field to boot. BTW, when is the last time a comp pick paid off for
us? Cannot remember?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately the biggest screw up lately letting Whit go.

It was insulting not to give the guy atleast the same contract he got from the Rams. Or at the very least tag him.

I know he was getting up there in terms of age but he always took great care of himself and we all saw from last
season he had years in him. He is a coach off the field to boot. BTW, when is the last time a comp pick paid off for
us? Cannot remember?

Maybe Glasgow will be worth it.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:13 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah, that explains the abundance of Lombardi trophies in Cincinnati!

The abundance of empty space in the trophy case, which is one of the smaller cases in the league. Ya know how expensive it is to send a team to play in the playoffs don't you.

Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: The abundance of empty space in the trophy case, which is one of the smaller cases in the league. Ya know how expensive it is to send a team to play in the playoffs don't you.

Does the owner have to pay for SuperBowl rings? If so he would just order one for the whole team and they would have to share it.
Reply/Quote
We've known Whit's departure would only garner a 5th round comp, at best, since he left in the spring. Even if the obscure rule didn't exist, it's highly doubtful Whit's departure would have resulted in a 3rd round comp anyway because he didn't get a huge contract from the Rams.

I'm among the Bengals biggest critics regarding the Whitworth debacle and believe last season would have resulted in Mike Brown being fired as a GM on any team he didn't own. But, there isn't anything new in this report.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:11 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Good Lord man he is 82 years old. Lets go for the damn thing instead of pinching pennies!
I remember before last season started that I was hoping to sign free agents and just assuming that we were keeping Whitworth , Zeitler and Fitzpatrick. Then we said that Whit and Zeitler were leaving and we didn't do much in FA.  That was mind boggling to me.

Funny that you mention penny pinching.  One of the JN regulars did a "mini study" on a few cases where the Bengals allowed quality players to head down the road, over a few dollars (figuratively).  What he found was that the team typically spends more trying to replace a good talent, with multiple lesser talented players that still can't get the job done.

I can't quite remember who it was, or even which thread (there are so many), but hopefully they will see this post and take the lead on the penny pinching argument.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny that you mention penny pinching.  One of the JN regulars did a "mini study" on a few cases where the Bengals allowed quality players to head down the road, over a few dollars (figuratively).  What he found was that the team typically spends more trying to replace a good talent, with multiple lesser talented players that still can't get the job done.

I can't quite remember who it was, or even which thread (there are so many), but hopefully they will see this post and take the lead on the penny pinching argument.

Probably replacing Houshmazilla with a list of FA failures they use to support their argument at signing free agents=self fulfilling prophecy.

I know they spent more on Coles, Bryant, and TO than they would have spent on TJ. Plus they lost their franchise QB after the TOchocinco circus.
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 07:01 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Probably replacing Houshmazilla with a list of FA failures they use to support their argument at signing free agents=self fulfilling prophecy.

I know they spent more on Coles, Bryant, and TO than they would have spent on TJ. Plus they lost their franchise QB after the TOchocinco circus.

That's a great case in point, about Houshmanzadeh.  I believe that one of the examples that was used in the post/thread I was thinking of was Jonathan Joseph.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Funny that you mention penny pinching.  One of the JN regulars did a "mini study" on a few cases where the Bengals allowed quality players to head down the road, over a few dollars (figuratively).  What he found was that the team typically spends more trying to replace a good talent, with multiple lesser talented players that still can't get the job done.

Was it The Leonard Leap ?
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 06:19 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Definately the biggest screw up lately letting Whit go.

us? Cannot remember?

How many comp picks pay off in the entire NFL ? 1 in 25 ? 1 in 50 ? There's probably stats on that somewhere. But I'd say it's a fair bet very few become regular starters. And a tiny portion actually become true impact players !
Reply/Quote

Yeah it ended up costing more but he was trying to be cheap to begin with, that is what i am talking about. 
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 07:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Was it The Leonard Leap ?

Maybe.  Likely either him, Shake, or Ochocincos.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 07:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's a great case in point, about Houshmanzadeh.  I believe that one of the examples that was used in the post/thread I was thinking of was Jonathan Joseph.

(02-11-2018, 07:12 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Was it The Leonard Leap ?

[Image: scrubs-twothumbs.jpg]

Yeah, I have done a couple things over the years about how much more it cost the Bengals in picks and dollars to try to replace JJo than if they had just given him the guaranteed money that he wanted.

Pretty sure I did one for Housh, too.

As for the OP, I have done a couple posts in the past listing all of the Bengals comp picks under Lewis. It is an ugly ugly list. It has never paid off for the Bengals.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-11-2018, 07:19 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: Yeah it ended up costing more but he was trying to be cheap to begin with, that is what i am talking about. 

That was the entire point that whomever it was, was attempting to show.  It cost more to replace with several, than it does to just pay the man, to begin with.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote