Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Comp Picks
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
When it comes to comp picks and the Bengals I have learned to round down. Even if said player leaving is worth a 3rd round comp pick there are only so many of those picks available teams are often pushed down a round (usually the Bengals).
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Did you see how many the 49ers got this year? Crazy amount.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did you see how many the 49ers got this year? Crazy amount.

Pays to hire minorities I guess 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:01 AM)Big_Ern Wrote: Pays to hire minorities I guess 

Not if my mental image of Marvin Lewis is accurate.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not if my mental image of Marvin Lewis is accurate.

Uh hee, hee, hee

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I'll be excited about comp picks when the Bengals actually hit on one.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'll be excited about comp picks when the Bengals actually hit on one.

Only one I can recall (may even be wrong) is Marvin Jones with Chad Johnson comp pick. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:23 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Only one I can recall (may even be wrong) is Marvin Jones with Chad Johnson comp pick. 

You got it sorta right.

Marvin Jones was drafted with the pick the Patriots sent to us in a trade for Chad Johnson. Wasn't a comp pick.

I compiled a list of Bengals comp picks a year or two (or 3?) back on this board. It was an absolutely brutal list.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 12:59 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'll be excited about comp picks when the Bengals actually hit on one.

Yeah and I don't want to hear anyone hee and haw about if you don't want to talk about it then ignore the thread, but right now I could give two shits about compensatory picks. Especially when we hardly ever get them anyways.
Reply/Quote

Can't agree more, Ocho.

All Bengals Comp Picks since 1994 when it became a thing...

'94: 3rd- Steve Shine
'98: 7th- Damian Vaughn
'99: 7th- Scott Covington, Donald Broomfield
'03: 7th- Elton Patterson
'04: 3rd- Landon Johnson
'07: 7th- Chinedum Ndukwe
'08: 3rd- Andre Caldwell / 6th- Matt Sherry / 7th- Angelo Craig, Mario Urrutia
'09: 3rd- Chase Coffman / 6th- Bernard Scott / 7th- Clinton McDonald, Freddie Brown
'10: 3rd- Brandon Ghee / 4th- Rodderick Muckleroy
'11: 7th- Jay Finley
'13: 7th- Reid Fragel, TJ Johnson
'14: 6th- Marquis Flowers / 7th- Lavelle Westbrooks
'15: 3rd- Paul Dawson / 4th- Marcus Hardison
'17: 4th- Ryan Glasgow / 5th- JJ Dielman / 7th- Mason Schreck
'18: 5th- Darius Phillips / 7th- Rod Taylor, Auden Tate
'19: 4th- Michael Jordan / 6th- Deshaun Davis, Rodney Anderson
'22: 4th- D'Ante Smith

- - - - - - - -

Yeah, I will take participating in FA every single time over comp picks. When Landon Johnson almost 20 years ago is your best result, just sign actual NFL caliber players now. Not to mention you're making your team worse this year in order to potentially get picks next year, and it's certainly not time to be dicking around with that now. Win now.

Reply/Quote
I really thought they would go the comp pick route by default, but on the surface it looks as if they have no issue with guys leaving if they don't find the right deal. I don't known if Pratt was a priority or came down or a combo of both but so far he is it. It will look more blatant either way if they start scheduling cut vets (that don't factor into the formula) tomorrow.

If they end up with a slew of potential late round picks, the convo may not be the history of comp picks, but what they can end up with in trade of similar picks or their own. For example, they may deal next year's original pick for a RT, or safety (if they don't sign a cut vet) knowing they'll get a similar pick for Bates.

This could become a bigger deal around the trade deadline when they have ammo to right a wrong such as not getting enough OL depth or expecting a youngster (Tycen Andersom) to take a step that doesn't happen. Don't look at the comp picks as not planning to win now until we see if they use them that way.

I edited my other thread to say that I'm swaying away from seeing the comp pick (default) plan all the way through if ring chasers are serious about joining. There is a gamble in waiting too long for the market to settle. If more safeties, RBs, TEs, CBs and Ts sign elsewhere they're going to have to get aggressive short term with guaranteed money.
Reply/Quote
So the moral of the story is dont be surprised if the Bengals dont go after a free agent safety because they want to keep a potential 3rd round draft pick they get for losing Bates.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:20 AM)phil413 Wrote: I really thought they would go the comp pick route by default, but on the surface it looks as if they have no issue with guys leaving if they don't find the right deal.  I don't known if Pratt was a priority or came down or a combo of both but so far he is it.  It will look more blatant either way if they start scheduling cut vets (that don't factor into the formula) tomorrow.  

If they end up with a slew of potential late round picks, the convo may not be the history of comp picks, but what they can end up with in trade of similar picks or their own.  For example, they may deal next year's original pick for a RT, or safety (if they don't sign a cut vet) knowing they'll get a similar pick for Bates.  

This could become a bigger deal around the trade deadline when they have ammo to right a wrong such as not getting enough OL depth or expecting a youngster (Tycen Andersom) to take a step that doesn't happen.  Don't look at the comp picks as not planning to win now until we see if they use them that way.

The last time the Bengals added someone in a midseason trade was 1972.

Pretending for a second that they'd actually deal draft capital at the deadline to add talent... Why wait until 6-8 games into the season to try to fix an obvious problem? Then you're working with a smaller talent pool, you're desperate, and it will cost you both picks and money, and the player has to now learn a scheme on the fly that he could have spent all offseason learning and becoming familiarized in. All of that is assuming you don't find yourself needing that depth after the deadline and then you're just screwed and need to scan the waiver wire and practice squads.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The last time the Bengals added someone in a midseason trade was 1972.

Pretending for a second that they'd actually deal draft capital at the deadline to add talent... Why wait until 6-8 games into the season to try to fix an obvious problem? Then you're working with a smaller talent pool, you're desperate, and it will cost you both picks and money, and the player has to now learn a scheme on the fly that he could have spent all offseason learning and becoming familiarized in. All of that is assuming you don't find yourself needing that depth after the deadline and then you're just screwed and need to scan the waiver wire and practice squads.

There were quite a few deals at the deadline and I also don't want to plan around waiting for the deadline to make moves. I'm saying with the comp picks, they have no excuse to not pickup a much needed vet now and worst case scenario during cuts or the deadline.  I don't think this will spiral into them shutting the phones off on their UFAs, I'm just prepping for the worst case scenario and it's still on them to add the talent.  I think before we ever get to the trade deadline, they'll have opportunities to get a few ring chasing vets that can showcase themselves on a one year deal.  
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:07 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't agree more, Ocho.

'09: 3rd- Chase Coffman / 6th- Bernard Scott / 7th- Clinton McDonald, Freddie Brown

- - - - - - - -

Yeah, I will take participating in FA every single time over comp picks. When Landon Johnson almost 20 years ago is your best result, just sign actual NFL caliber players now. Not to mention you're making your team worse this year in order to potentially get picks next year, and it's certainly not time to be dicking around with that now. Win now.
B Scott and Landon Johnson best of that whole bunch Cool
Reply/Quote
I was listening to Malik Wright today. He said the person he talks to within the team said that the comp pick strategy has changed in the FO. Apparently sitting back and trying to compile comp picks is no longer the strategy. The team is willing to sign players and not be dependent on comp picks.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 12:07 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Can't agree more, Ocho.

- - - - - - - -

Geez, that list of names wouldnt make for a decent XFL roster.....

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 01:29 AM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I was listening to Malik Wright today. He said the person he talks to within the team said that the comp pick strategy has changed in the FO. Apparently sitting back and trying to compile comp picks is no longer the strategy. The team is willing to sign players and not be dependent on comp picks.

Really?

I was just coming to say I think we are playing the comp pick game and being patient. We should. If you have a good core of highly paid players and start bleeding talent because you can't afford it all is why comp picks exist I feel like.  
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2023, 11:00 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Did you see how many the 49ers got this year? Crazy amount.

I did and that is insane.  I had no idea a team could get that many.  Who was their big loss?  I thought they got trade compensation for their DT that went to the Colts?  Side note, boy, do I bet he regrets that.  
Reply/Quote