Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comp picks dictating FA approach
(03-16-2017, 11:12 AM)jj22 Wrote: Comp picks dictating free agent approach, but watch somehow Cle,Bal,Pit,NE get 3rd round comp picks again (like they did this draft) given the amount of money they spend and people they sign in free agency. Something isn't right.

As I understand it...the NFL doesn't disclose the Comp pick formula. So the amount of money spent may just be one of many factors in it.

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

Although the formula has never been revealed, by studying the compensatory picks that have been awarded since they began in 1994, I’ve determined that the primary factor in the value of the picks awarded is the average annual value of the contract the player signed with his new team, with an adjustment for playing time and a smaller adjustment for postseason honors.

http://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/
Reply/Quote
I've never claimed I could be an NFL GM. I'd love to be one, but never claimed I could be or even should be. However, I could do just as good of a job at GM as Mike Brown. I truly believe that and I truly believe there are plenty of other people that could as well. Whether I did well or failed miserably, there would be absolutely no question about my dedication to trying to win.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
What's frustrating about the failed 2016 comp pick plan and why it stung the organization so much (but clearly not enough to give up on the plan) is our "high" 4th round pick is now pushed back 11 spots. That's a lot of team getting ahead of us and eating up some good talent that would have been on the board when we picked in the 4th round.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  Because all of the fans here are4 so perfect at building a Super Bowl team that the only way you couldpossibly disagree with any of their moves is if you do not want to win.

BTW which rich fan do you want to buy the Bengals?  The ones who want to trade AJ Green?  the ones who would have cut Dalton by now?  The ones who said any team that signed Peko "did not want to win"?  The ones who said Justin Smith was garbage?  The ones who claimed Dre Kirkpatrick was one of the absolute worst CBs in the entire league in '15?  How about the ones who were insisting that we sign Albert Haynesworth?

The people around here whose egos are so big that they think the only possible way anyone could disagree with their plans is if that person "does not want to win" are delusional.  NFL teams do not make the playoffs 6 of 8 years just by accident while they are not even trying to win.  And as hard as it is to win a Super Bowl if any of you really had a foolproof way to do it you would be making millions of dollars.

Eh, there are extremes in every fan base and everyone is wrong sometimes. But to have no accountability on
your team starts from the top down. Your bro Paul Alexander should of been fired after last season and replaced
with someone more competent. Ogbuehi should of been more prepared by this guy and should of been benched
as soon as he saw he was not ready.

To continue to start Og as long as we did was downright pathetic and even an extreme fan could see this.

This was total incompetence and hurt our entire team. This should never be tolerated, anywhere.

It is obvious that PA is a friend of MB, he would of been replaced otherwise. The team should come first, there
should be no favorites and when someone screws up their should be some accountability.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:59 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eh, there are extremes in every fan base and everyone is wrong sometimes. But to have no accountability on
your team starts from the top down. Your bro Paul Alexander should of been fired after last season and replaced
with someone more competent. Ogbuehi should of been more prepared by this guy and should of been benched
as soon as he saw he was not ready.

To continue to start Og as long as we did was downright pathetic and even an extreme fan could see this.

This was total incompetence and hurt our entire team. This should never be tolerated, anywhere.

It is obvious that PA is a friend of MB, he would of been replaced otherwise. The team should come first, there
should be no favorites and when someone screws up their should be some accountability.

I won several Super Bowls on Tecmo Super Bowl, and the Gameday Series on PS1 back in the day......with the Bengals a few times, so...... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:15 PM)Wyche Wrote: I won several Super Bowls on Tecmo Super Bowl, and the Gameday Series on PS1 back in the day......with the Bengals a few times, so...... Mellow

Lol, i won quite a many on Madden with the same players this guy has had.

Bottomline is the fans give a damn and i am having serious doubts that MB does.

There would be some accountability going on. Atleast in 2011 we replaced Bratkowski.

PA should of been replaced after last year if we wanted to get better.

Brat was bad but i don't think he single handedly hurt our team as bad as PA did last year.

Then to follow that up with Marv saying the OL was not a concern and letting our great LT go was a topper to me.

We are not serious about winning the Superbowl, this told Whit and many of us fans this...
Reply/Quote
One thing's for DAMN SURE.....Son of Paul has given every single person who has ever watched a game of football, the EXACT blueprint of how NOT to win in the postseason.  Just do the opposite of that dumb sumbitch, and you're bound to stumble into a playoff win here and there with the right coach, GM, and cash.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 11:22 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I've never claimed I could be an NFL GM. I'd love to be one, but never claimed I could be or even should be. However, I could do just as good of a job at GM as Mike Brown. I truly believe that and I truly believe there are plenty of other people that could as well. Whether I did well or failed miserably, there would be absolutely no question about my dedication to trying to win.

So you honestly believe that Mike Brown has been more successful than most other NFL teams over the last several years while NOT EVEN TRYING TO WIN?

Seriously?

The point I am making is that just because Mike Brown does not agree with you does not mean he does not want to win.  You are free to claim that you disagree with his decisions, but you can not claim that the only way anyone could possible disagree with your opi9nion is if that poerson does not want to win.  you just are not that perfect.  and I honestly doubt you could do as good mof a job running an NFL team as you believe.  It is impossible for every team to be good in the NFL.  Half of them are going to be losers NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY.  That is why it is so silly to claim that Mike Brown does not even want to win or does not even try.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you honestly believe that Mike Brown has been more successful than most other NFL teams over the last several years while NOT EVEN TRYING TO WIN?

Seriously?

The point I am making is that just because Mike Brown does not agree with you does not mean he does not want to win.  You are free to claim that you disagree with his decisions, but you can not claim that the only way anyone could possible disagree with your opi9nion is if that poerson does not want to win.  you just are not that perfect.  and I honestly doubt you could do as good mof a job running an NFL team as you believe.  It is impossible for every team to be good in the NFL.  Half of them are going to be losers NO MATTER HOW HARD THEY TRY.  That is why it is so silly to claim that Mike Brown does not even want to win or does not even try.

After the debacle of the 90's...to not hire a GM...

To go 26 years without a playoff win and keep doing business as usual...

If the Steelers go 6-10 3 years in a row...they're changing coaches or GM's...Marvin loses a bunch of playoff games and gets extended.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing's for DAMN SURE.....Son of Paul has given every single person who has ever watched a game of football, the EXACT blueprint of how NOT to win in the postseason.  Just do the opposite of that dumb sumbitch, and you're bound to stumble into a playoff win here and there with the right coach, GM, and cash.

It really is crazy when you think of it... almost 30 years and not a single win.  You would think just through complete accident it would have happened once.  Seven appearances under Marvin... you would think something "funky" would have happened to allow the Bengals to win even one of these games.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:27 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you honestly believe that Mike Brown has been more successful than most other NFL teams over the last several years while NOT EVEN TRYING TO WIN?

Seriously?

I did not say he wasn't trying to win, but if the choice is between his bank account and winning we all know which one wins.

As far as being perfect, I never said that. Not even remotely close. I even said I could do well or fail miserably. Again, I also said I have never claimed I could be on or should be one. So lets step off the I think I'm perfect stuff that you're trying to put into my mouth.

I simply said I could do just as well as Mike Brown. I guarantee you that I could run the Bengals well enough to not win a single playoff game in almost 30 years. Are you trying to say that I can't? Are you the one saying that in that time span I could win a playoff game? That would make me better than our current GM. I was only saying I could produce the same results.

Mike Brown may in fact have a desire to win, but it has to be his way. So far, his way hasn't proven to yield the success of the teams he claims he's trying to be like.

And again, I never said I would have success. I never said I would do a great job. Nowhere did I say I was perfect. I said I would like to be a GM. I stated that I never said I could be or should be. Just trying to make it clear that I never said I was perfect or that my opinions are the only right ones. I simply said I could do just as well as our current GM. I'll stand by that without question.

As for Mike Brown, with the way he runs things, there are a lot more fans than me that question his desire to win. He gets questioned by the mainstream writers and called cheap by plenty of more people than Bengals fans. I will stand by my statement that Mike Brown values money more than winning. As for me, I simply said that my desire to win would never be able to be questioned. Didn't say I would win. Didn't say I'd do a good job. Never said I even deserve a shot.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It really is crazy when you think of it... almost 30 years and not a single win.  You would think just through complete accident it would have happened once.  Seven appearances under Marvin... you would think something "funky" would have happened to allow the Bengals to win even one of these games.

Exactly! In the 80's when teams faced the Bengals in the playoffs, they were concerned. Under this incompetent regime, they just lick their chops.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:34 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Right.  Because all of the fans here are4 so perfect at building a Super Bowl team that the only way you couldpossibly disagree with any of their moves is if you do not want to win.

BTW which rich fan do you want to buy the Bengals?  The ones who want to trade AJ Green?  the ones who would have cut Dalton by now?  The ones who said any team that signed Peko "did not want to win"?  The ones who said Justin Smith was garbage?  The ones who claimed Dre Kirkpatrick was one of the absolute worst CBs in the entire league in '15?  How about the ones who were insisting that we sign Albert Haynesworth?

The people around here whose egos are so big that they think the only possible way anyone could disagree with their plans is if that person "does not want to win" are delusional.  NFL teams do not make the playoffs 6 of 8 years just by accident while they are not even trying to win.  And as hard as it is to win a Super Bowl if any of you really had a foolproof way to do it you would be making millions of dollars.

I would be happy if anyone who had winning as a first priority bought the team. Even if they moved it to another city.   You always want to change the subject to your opinion of  other Bengal fans on this board and I'm not going to do it.   
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:21 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We are not serious about winning the Superbowl, this told Whit and many of us fans this...

Can we all please stop with this little game where you pick a player or coach with a good reputation and try to claim he agrees with you? 

Whit just left the Bengals who had made the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years for a team that has not even had a single winning season in 13 years, and you claim he left because he wants to play for a team that is serious about winning a Super Bowl? 

Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

Whit said he loves the Bengals.  he respects them so much that he wants to retire as a Bengal.  Yet you cite him as a fellow hater that claims the Bengals do not even want to win a Super Bowl.

You are entitled to your opinion.  But this little game of claiming that guys like Whit agree with you is just silly.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:37 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: Mike Brown may in fact have a desire to win, but it has to be his way. So far, his way hasn't proven to yield the success of the teams he claims he's trying to be like.

You nailed it.  If doing things his way were not the most important factor than he would have made many changes over the last three decades.  How long does it take to figure out you're in over your head and need an actual General Manager?  How long does it take to realize you've made a huge mistake with a Dave Shula or Bruce Coslett?  How many losing seasons before you think "ok, we need a complete 180 in our thinking".

The man seems to have complete faith in his abilities, regardless of all outside evidence.
Reply/Quote
Our commitment to winning the Super Bowl is kind of like the Chickens commitment in bacon and eggs.

The chicken is involved. The pig is committed.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:24 PM)Wyche Wrote: One thing's for DAMN SURE.....Son of Paul has given every single person who has ever watched a game of football, the EXACT blueprint of how NOT to win in the postseason.  Just do the opposite of that dumb sumbitch, and you're bound to stumble into a playoff win here and there with the right coach, GM, and cash.

Exactly.  And if I were a billionaire and bought the team, we'd have a GM to make free agent decisions.  If the GM and head coach didn't do good jobs, I would fire them.  So, yeah, I could do better than Mike Brown.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 12:31 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It really is crazy when you think of it... almost 30 years and not a single win.  You would think just through complete accident it would have happened once.  Seven appearances under Marvin... you would think something "funky" would have happened to allow the Bengals to win even one of these games.

It's that "rotten Mike Clown luck"..... :andy:

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 01:12 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Exactly.  And if I were a billionaire and bought the team, we'd have a GM to make free agent decisions.  If the GM and head coach didn't do good jobs, I would fire them.  So, yeah, I could do better than Mike Brown.

Right... if what you're doing is not working, then maybe you need to try something else.
Reply/Quote
Funky stuff has happened but it worked against us.
Reply/Quote