Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compare Preseason Predictions to the Half Way Point
I didn't feel bored enough to scour through prediction threads, taking time to post this myself, so I thought of doing a simple thread where we can compare, being truthful, our preseason predictions to our current predictions at the halfway point after 8 games, especially with the bye layover.

My preseason prediction, based upon some injuries, uncertainties, and franchise history, was 9-7.

My current half way point is 6-9-1.
Reply/Quote
I was way....wrong. I was one of the more optimistic ones preseason.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 03:19 PM)Goalpost Wrote: I was way....wrong.   I was one of the more optimistic ones preseason.

Okay so what was it and what is it now?  Don't leave us hanging GP.
Reply/Quote
They are actually scary close to my predictions, which is weird, because I feel much worse about the season so far than I thought I would when I made the prediction. Maybe it's because of how they've looked getting there?

I had them losing to the Broncos, Cowboys, Patriots, and Redskins and being 4-4 at the halfway point.

They lost to the Steelers, which I had them winning in the first game, but tied the Redskins.

Had them at: 4-4
They are at: 3-4-1

I had them losing two more games in the second half (Browns and Steelers) but now the Eagles are looking awfully good, so who knows. Original 10-6 revised to 9-6-1 or 8-7-1.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I had the Bengals 11-5 or 10-6 and winning the division. I don't even think we'll make the playoffs. We might end up 7-8-1 this season. I had more faith in the Bengals D which really let us down this year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
I had em with the standard 11-5 or 10-6. My optimism has gone up and down all year. At the midway point, I'd say there is no way they sniff 10 wins, and I wouldn't be shocked if they finish with 5.

Quick... Name one thing this team does well... I'll wait.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 05:15 PM)jason Wrote: I had em with the standard 11-5 or 10-6. My optimism has gone up and down all year. At the midway point, I'd say there is no way they sniff 10 wins, and I wouldn't be shocked if they finish with 5.

Quick... Name one thing this team does well... I'll wait.

Sneak Dalton into the end zone.

And give up plenty of yards on defense this year...
Reply/Quote
I predicted a step back, but I'm a pessimist. Our offense was great in 2015 and I wasn't exactly expecting it to hold form after losing the OC, top red zone threat TE (for who knows how long), #2 and #3 WRs (they were over-paid, admittedly but losing them blows), and Burfict for 25% of the season at least.

Our schedule looked really tough too, and it's proven to be even harder than I thought it would be at this point. So it goes. I still think the Bengals pull 9 wins out of this season, though. Marvin has never missed the playoffs as long as he's posted 9 wins or more.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 05:23 PM)Emphasis Wrote: Sneak Dalton into the end zone.

And give up plenty of yards on defense this year...
Someone also pointed out in another thread that Clark Harris is ballin' at long snapper too... So there's that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 05:35 PM)jason Wrote: Someone also pointed out in another thread that Clark Harris is ballin' at long snapper too... So there's that.

+1.  That's one position, and holder, that nobody really thinks about that is, for me, a very underrated position with a ton of pressure that most don't think about either.  One thing about Clark Harris is, beyond his accuracy, his ability to get down the field so many times making tackles or being in on tackles.
Reply/Quote
I think the offense has played better than expected (even though the offensive line has been disappointing) and the defense has played worse than expected.

Basically, both lines have been subpar and they are the main reason for the failures so far this year.
Reply/Quote
Might have said 10-6 and a WC spot or barely miss the playoffs before the season began. Now, I see a 4-4 on the back eight and a very unpalatable 7-8-1. Ugh. Did not anticipate this much struggle.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2016, 06:07 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: I think the offense has played better than expected (even though the offensive line has been disappointing) and the defense has played worse than expected.

Basically, both lines have been subpar and they are the main reason for the failures so far this year.
I agree, but the offense doesn't really have an identity yet. If it starts clicking outta the bye, then they still have a chance.... But the offense is going to have to carry the team. The other two phases of the team's game are sorely lacking.

Some individuals are playing well. I think AJ has been great this year. There aren't 10 QBs in the league that I'd take over Andy. Dunlap and Clark Lewis... LaFell and Gio are contributing. Jeremy Hill is trying hard... He at least looks like he cares. He gets an "E" for effort, and "T" for nice try.

Down year fellas... Oh well. Be thankful for the things that really matter. We have a good life if we can worry about that silly team.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I thought for sure we'd beat the Skins, Broncos, and Cowboys games were all gonna be wins. We should be 6-2.

I think its safe to say this team is playing far from what we expected them too. We need a tremendous second half of the season to stay in the Wild Card hunt, but nothing from what Ive seen so far leads me to believe that they can be. Ive been saying the last few weeks now that weve gotten to know this team, they are undisciplined and poorly coached. Changes need to be done either on the field or on the sideline, but we all know Mike Brown fears any kind of change. So we can expect this team to be mediocre the rest of the year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I had them at 11-5

This team is imploding, I'd say .500 in 2nd half is best case scenario. 7-8-1

They might get it together for one game and beat a winning team in which case we go 8-7-1.

Neither will get us in the playoffs. Sorry guys the honeymoon is over ! And we won't get back in the playoffs until Marvin and the tenured clowns are gone.
Reply/Quote
(11-01-2016, 10:47 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I had them at 11-5

This team is imploding, I'd say .500 in 2nd half is best case scenario. 7-8-1

They might get it together for one game and beat a winning team in which case we go 8-7-1.

Neither will get us in the playoffs. Sorry guys the honeymoon is over ! And we won't get back in the playoffs until Marvin and the tenured clowns are gone.

7-8-1 sounds about right. There isn't some "light" that's going to switch on and this team is going to play better. They are what they are, just a underwhelming team.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I was way off. Had us between 11-5 and 13-3. We won't come close to that.

At this point I'll say between 6-9-1 and 8-7-1. Going .500 the rest of the way would put us at 7-8-1.

The tie really f's us up. The team already has 4 loses and the tie. A 9-6-1 might get us into the playoffs, but that means only 2 more losses and 6 wins and I really don't think this team has that kind of run in it.

Reply/Quote
I was way off as well. I predicted 11-5, but changed that to 6-10 a couple weeks ago. I guess my current prediction is 6-9-1, which would do nothing more than drop us down a spot in the draft.

I honestly believe we could be in for a couple down years. The defense does not look very good at all, and we don't have replacements ready to go. Add in Fisher and Ogbuehi, Whit getting older, and Bodine being Bodine. On top of that you have Dalton, Geno, and Dunlap all being under contract for only two more years. They will not be active in free agency, which means they are going to have to hit it out of the park in the next couple of drafts.

Someone posted an article before the season started about the Bengals window closing, and most people dismissed it out of hand. Suddenly it looks like the author may have known what he was talking about...
Reply/Quote
was think 4-4 by now.

Slightly off.

There's still a chance!!
Reply/Quote