Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Compared to Last Year ...
(01-26-2023, 01:01 AM)Brimey Wrote: *****

On the other side, I think we saw the plan against Buffalo. Get ahead, and then play physical in space. Hurst, Perine, Mixon smashing them in the short passing and run game and using the middle of the field in the intermediate game. I don't expect deep shots unless they're sideline go balls with this offensive line. Not with Jones looming in the middle.

Good detailed analysis, of which I will just reference one paragraph.

I do think one improvement for the Bengals is in the short passing game. It seemed that last year the Bengals placed a heavy importance on a long-pass, quick strike offense. During this season, they became masters of the short and intermediate passing game. If the forecast of windy conditions come true (sustained winds of 15 mph and wind gusts in the mid-20s), then a short passing game will be very important. 
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are a much better team this season than last year. The Chiefs are as good as last season though, which is a feat considering they lost Tyreek Hill.

But the Bengals are way more versatile this year and not as one dimensional only looking for the HR ball. The appendectomy surgery slowing Joe and the NFL defenses throwing the whole kitchen sink at him this year starting with the two high shells that momentarily slowed him. Yet Burrow learned to take what they were giving and beat opponents with methodical drives while spreading the ball around. Joe now can deal with whatever is thrown at him and can dissect defenses with precision.

Many players have stepped forward too, or added this year in Perine, Volson, Karras, Pratt, Irwin, Carter, CTB, Ossai, Hurst, and the new Jackson Carman even and only really lost Uzomah.

Bengals are better imho and the Chiefs are about the same which is very formidable, should be a great game. Believe it or not, think stopping Pacheco could be the key to winning per thinking KC will lean on their O-line and rushing attack mores than usual with Mahomes hobbled somewhat.

Believe the Bengals are the better team and should be a slight favorite, but that KC is still very dangerous and can not be overlooked.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
I would argue the Bengals are the more complete team. Outside of Chris Jones, no one really fears the Chiefs' defense. I think the Bengals' offense has more of an advantage against the Chiefs' defense than the Chiefs' offense has against the Bengals' defense.
Reply/Quote
The confidence level of the staff and players is amazing right now. Not that they think they are invincible but Zac referenced it in his presser. It’s like you are doing a presentation and it’s a difficult and important one but you are completely at ease about it. You are thoroughly prepared. Now he meant the last several weeks. He said they’ve not finished KC prep. But my source said that the staff was exceedingly confident in the team going to Buffalo and weren’t the least bit surprised in the score. It’s more about their rhythm and how they are playing versus who they are playing. That being said this game is still 50/50. Another note is Carman is pretty stout and isn’t going to get pushed around in the pass rush.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 12:28 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Compared to this time last year, how do these two teams stack up? I think most all of us would probably agree that the Bengals are better than last year.  But what about the Chiefs? I honestly don't watch other teams that closely. In fact, I haven't watched more than a quarter total of Chiefs' play all season.  I know the Chiefs have won something like 11 of their last 12 but a number of those were games they could have easily lost. The woeful Broncos played them close twice, the Texans took them to overtime, and I think the Raiders only lost to them by a point in Arrowhead. Many of you have probably followed the Chiefs closer than I have. Are they on par with last year or are they just a tad below the level they were year ago. My impression is that while very good, they may not be quite the juggernaut of the last few years. Again, you likely know their personnel better than I do.

So, what do you think? Are the Bengals considerably better than last year, slightly better, or about the same, in your opinion ? How would you answer the same question about the current Chiefs' squad?

I think KC is better than when we played them this season especially in their Running Game and Mahomes is being smart with the ball.. he has only 1 int last 5 games..  Their defense seems better than last year at this time.. 

So with our improvement and their improvement , it about even just the games have been with them but we are 1-0 at Arrowhead and a strong road team
Reply/Quote
Both teams have improved. But I don't want to see a come-from-behind scenario. I'm sure KC learned from that in last year's playoff game.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
On paper, we're a better team than we were last year and, on paper. And I think that translated to the field. We were kind of flying by the seat of our pants last season with clutch, narrow wins all season but this year we have been much more demonstrably dominant, with the Bills game being the crowning achievement so far.

The Chiefs team is a little more complicated. On paper, their offense is worse because they lost Hill, but Mahomes is playing the best ball of his life from an EPA standpoint. At the same time, he is injured so we don't know what impact that will have on their offense on Sunday.
On defense, they definitely seem to be better on paper, with several starting rookies like Karlaftis and McDuffie considered upgrades to what they had last year.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out. I think the Bengals have a slight edge, but it is essentially a coin flip game.

But then again, I felt the same way about the Bills game and we saw how that turned out.
Reply/Quote
I think the Chiefs are scarier on offense
This year than last year. After Kelce , any of those WRs
Could be due for a big game. Schuster has
Played at a High level. Kadarius Toney is very capable
Of being a missed tackle away from a 60 yd plus play
Scantling has shown he can get behind the
Bengals secondary
This isn't Pringle and Robinson this year. It's
A much faster crew of WRs.
Now you throw in Pacheco who is very hard
To get a clean shot on in open space
He plays bigger than he looks.

Cincy will have to play their very best game
Of the year on defense this Sunday
Stuffing their running game is crucial
3rd and 2 is alot harder to suffocate than
3rd and 9. But Cincy's is more battle tested now
Than last year
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2023, 10:16 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Without Mahomes, the Chiefs are like a 6 win team...and I stand by that. 

Completely disagree.  Even Chad Henne was able to move this offense downfield 98 yards and score a TD with all the same weapons Mahomes has.  

Kansas City has one of the best O lines in the NFL being anchored by 3 Pro Bowlers.  They also have the best TE in the NFL, a RB in Pacheco averaging almost 5 yards a carry.  At WR they signed Marquez Valdes Scanting and his 4.37 forty time to a 10 million per year contract before the 2022 season. They have 2nd round draft pick Mecole Hardman who runs a 4.33.  They traded for 2021 1st round draft pick Kadarius Tony who runs a 4.39.  They have Juju Smith Schuster.  That offense is loaded with talent and that is even without Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
For those who watched the two Chiefs' games against Denver late in the season and the Chiefs' game at Houston, what were those bad teams able to do to have themselves on the verge on beating KC?

Also, didn't that overmatched and sad-looking Bills team that we saw last week go into Arrowhead and win this season?
"Knowledge is preferable to ignorance. Better by far to embrace the hard truth than a reassuring fable. "
---CARL SAGAN
Reply/Quote