Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Comparing AJ Green and Tee Higgins as prospects
(04-27-2020, 06:14 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: You put 6'4 Green on one side, 6'4 Higgins on the other , n the redzone. Then you also have Boyd in the slot, motion with JR ( a pick that I hated, but ts, I think his is his year to REALLY bust loose). Opposing secondaries arse's are going to be puckered!

Mixon in the backfield, hell this offense has serious potential, now.

(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Add 6'5" Auden Tate as that 4th RZ receiver.

Add in 6'5 Drew Sample and CJ Uzomah and they have alot of height for Burrow to throw too.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 06:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Add 6'5" Auden Tate as that 4th RZ receiver.

Agreed! I was going to throw his name in the mix. Just got lazy. He showed his potential last season. Definitely another RZ threat.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 06:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Add in 6'5 Drew Sample and CJ Uzomah and they have alot of height for Burrow to throw too.

Maybe Uzomah, but Sample hasn't shown to be a pass catcher yet  Tongue
I'd use Ross well before Sample in the RZ. Ross is good at getting TDs
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 04:18 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Thanks! I'm glad to be winning you over Tongue. His personality and work ethic is definitely one of his many strengths.

Thanks! :)

I think the beauty of players like AJ Green and Tee Higgins is they don't really have to make horizontal separation in order to be open. It's great when they do get it, and they both do it pretty frequently, but they are both incredibly good at creating vertical separation, by which I mean they are open when other receivers are not because they can high point the ball so well. So many of both Green's and Higgins' best catches from their college days were caught around a defender's head or over the defender's shoulder because they were just physically larger and more imposing than the person covering them.

Higgins has some nifty moves at the line and I think he'll have similar get off as Green. Handling the press has never been a huge strength of Green, but he does it well enough to make it risky if the cornerback whiffs or doesn't do it well enough. I expect Higgins will have that same level of risk vs reward in pressing him.

If we could make a playoff run this season, that would be so sweet!
It was sweet in 2011 and I  dont see why we cant with a better QB by all accounts 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 06:46 PM)Synric Wrote: Add in 6'5 Drew Sample and CJ Uzomah and they have alot of height for Burrow to throw too.

And the UDFA kid, Washington is 6'5".  Our WR room could field a helluva basketball team.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm not going to quote you but on the arm length thing, Kelvin Benjamin very well could have also been an elite playmaker if he wasn't a fat lazy son of a gun.
Reply/Quote

(04-27-2020, 06:52 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe Uzomah, but Sample hasn't shown to be a pass catcher yet  Tongue
I'd use Ross well before Sample in the RZ. Ross is good at getting TDs

Not if they are using play action from a heavy 12 personnel redzone package. 

The Bengals have alot of peices just a below average offensive line lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 07:18 PM)Synric Wrote: Not if they are using play action from a heavy 12 personnel redzone package. 

The Bengals have alot of peices just a below average offensive line lol.

If that, yes, but I'd rather have 3-5 WRs out there in the RZ than Uzomah and Sample.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 07:17 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I'm not going to quote you but on the arm length thing, Kelvin Benjamin very well could have also been an elite playmaker if he wasn't a fat lazy son of a gun.

He had a really nice first two years. But then it all went downhill. But his arm length obviously helped. Long armed, 6'4" receivers with some wiggle are tough to guard. 
Reply/Quote
Posting newbie here :)  I think the big difference between Green and Higgins is their separation on the deep route when the ball's in the air. I think Green is special in this regard, as was Chris Henry.  I mean how many times have we seen the ball in the air and see both Green and Henry just flat out blow by their one-on-one coverage?  Especially Henry..my jaw would drop at the sudden separation he'd get from his coverage.  I shudder to think of what Green's stats might have been with a strong-armed quarterback like Palmer.

I think this is also born out in their combine numbers, if you look at their 10, 20, & 40 yd progression times, as well as their mph at the end of the 40. Check it out here:

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Chris&l=Henry&i=7140

https://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=A.J.&l=Green&i=6458

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Tee&l=Higgins&i=30138
Reply/Quote
Really great post and so well researched. I got the same impression watching Tee Higgin's highlights
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2020, 04:58 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: CrazyjDawg,

As I mentioned in my #33 thread, we both predicted WR's to be taken, and you hit it on the nose with Tee and my guy went a few picks later in Shenault.
Looking back on it now, you were 100% right with this pick for our team.

I was a little shocked at his Vert being less than AJs, b/c Tee is such a good Bball player. And, after watching him do his between the leg dunks, I'd say anyone would agree Tee's athleticism is off the damn charts! But, Tee is also a little bit taller than AJ is as well.

All the rest of the pitty patty stuff that these fans keep talking about needing refinements on.....well, of course!
He's going to be a rookie, but being taught not only by a really good WRs coach in Bicknell, he'll also be right behind AJ in all the WR drills I can assure you. During their off times, he'll work with AJ on tactics getting off the line of scrimmage better. That's what these guys do. He'll get better and progress throughout his Rookie season. Please remember, that as good as AJ was his Rookie year, he still had trouble getting off press coverage particularly against some of the better CB's in the league, especially against Haden when he was in Cleveland.

The bottom line is:  
1. They get a WR who is a Comp to AJ.  No way!
2. He is a Fan of the Bengals???  Huh? In what universe are we in??
3. And, his idol is AJ?  What? Too good to be true
4. And, he'll get to learn from his idol?  Icing on the cake!

I mean, you couldn't have drawn up a better situation here for a #2 WR on the opposite side of AJ.

I do agree that he was the best choice at WR of any player remaining and time will tell if it pays off or not.
Right now, I'm salivating to see how Defenses will be able to stop Higgins and AJ on the outsides, and Ross and Boyd and Tate in the slots, along with flanking Mixon and Gio out as well for Burrow.

Good Luck NFL!!! Lol
NEW DEY!!

It's a great time to be a Bengals fan! Big Grin

Shenault would have been a great pick as well, but I think Higgins just fit their system and what they want to do too well. This is probably my favorite non-Burrow pick since AJ Green himself XD.
Reply/Quote
Great OP (and thread). I've thought all along that Higgins is probably the 3rd or 4th receiver in this class, behind Jeudy, Lamb, and maybe Ruggs (whose lack of elite production and similarities to Ross are question marks in my mind).

Agree that Tee has a lot of similarities to AJ, and that the biggest difference between the two is that AJ was more polished coming out of college (better route runner, toe taps, high-pointing, tracking deep balls, etc.) Comparing Tee to Tate is selling Tee a little short, though. Tee has much better receiving skills.

For Tee, the comp that comes to my mind is Mike Williams. Williams has similar measurables and had a similar skill set coming out of Clemson. Drafted by the Chargers, he got off to a slow start in that high-powered offense with his limited route tree. First season was a total dud, 11 catches for 95 yards. But his route running and production improved each season. 700 yards, 11 TDs in season 2, then hit 1000 yards in season 3. Now in year 4, hes poised to become their No 1 as Keenan Allen starts to decline. I see a similar progression for Tee. I don't expect him to be ROY in year 1, or put up anywhere near the stats that AJ put up. But if he continues to develop and learns the NFL game and our offense, he absolutely has the tools to become a great receiver in this league.
Reply/Quote