Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Comparing Front Office Sizes in the AFC North
(04-25-2017, 10:10 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's undeniable that having the smallest front office in the NFL hasn't lead to playoff success.

Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:33 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: While I'm not saying the Bengals don't need more staff I'd rather see a smaller staff that worked well together rather than 32 people who don't. My point being I think if you add someone to the staff they have to mesh well with the rest of the staff and contribute to the drafting process without hindering what we already have in place.

32 people is a lot of people and a lot of voices that need to be heard. If they aren't on the same page then this could be part of the issue with the Browns. I was just reading the other day about how Pettine (whatever their last HC's name was.) had not interest in Justin Gilbert and with no pre-draft interview Ray Farmer made the pick.

On larger staffs...everyone has a role. It's not like they all sit in a room.

You have scouts covering regions for D2 Football. You can have 4 scouts just to do thos.

That stuff happens in any war room. I remember reading that Mike Brown and some people wanted Ryan Mallet. Others wanted Andy Dalton.

With a small staff like the Bengals have...there is no way they are thoroughly scouting D2 and smaller division football as well as sending people to many college games.

Part of the thing with the Bengals recent good drafting grades...is it's like they draft right off of Kipers Board.
Reply/Quote
As I sorta mentioned above, it may not be the size that matters as much as the quality of said size. However here is the question, is it the lack of size of the fo that correlates to ZERO playoff wins or the quality of the fo that does? Maybe a bit both. Dont really know, but I do believe it is one or the other or both, with a sprinkle of Mike Brown thrown in.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls. 

OK, I'll bite.  You just happen to know how many scouts and front office personnel teams had in 1981?  Because I randomly chose the Dolphins and cannot find any information.  I can find who the actual coaches were, but nothing about the scouting department.

For argument's sake, let's assume you are correct though.  You don't think the team being led by an all time great NFL mind, and having people like Bill Walsh on the staff might have made up for the lack of scouting?  Since Mike Brown took over the team has not been led by an all time great mind, does not have coaches destined for the Hall of Fame, and has an extremely small scouting department.  My guess is that all three, and some bad luck, have combined for the futility.  Having such a small scouting department cannot help though.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 10:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls. 

Not since modern NFL free agency began in 1992. We haven't won a single playoff game since then.

Our Super Bowls were all before modern free agency and were under different ownership and management.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 10:08 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: While they do some things good...EVERY TEAM in the NFL has won a playoff game since we last have. And 80% of the league has won 5+ games since we have.

The goal is to win playoff games. We have THE WORST front office in sports based on that metric.

Scouting department size also factors into free agency and game planning.

You need to separate the last 6 years from the previous 2 decades.

Brock Osweiler won a Playoff game last year against Conner Cook yet Dalton has Zero playoff wins.

Only 3 or 4 teams out of 32 have made 5 straight Playoff appearances in the last 6 years.
Denver, Patriots, Bengals and maybe one more.

9 buffoons could not have done that.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Not since modern NFL free agency began in 1992. We haven't won a single playoff game since then.

Our Super Bowls were all before modern free agency and were under different ownership and management.

Get out of here with those facts. Don't you know they have no power here?!?! Ninja
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:35 PM)depthchart Wrote: You need to separate the last 6 years from the previous 2 decades.

Brock Osweiler won a Playoff game last year against Conner Cook yet Dalton has Zero playoff wins.

Only 3 or 4 teams out of 32 have made 5 straight Playoff appearances in the last 6 years.
Denver, Patriots, Bengals and maybe one more.

9 buffoons could not have done that.

Dalton did face TJ Yates with 4 starts under his belt and lost. That's not too different than Osweiler facing Connor Cook.

While Dalton missed the playoff game against the Steelers...so did Leveon Bell. The Steelers still rushed for 167 yards.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:03 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: OK, I'll bite.  You just happen to know how many scouts and front office personnel teams had in 1981?  Because I randomly chose the Dolphins and cannot find any information.  I can find who the actual coaches were, but nothing about the scouting department.

Shouldn't you be directing this at everyone who has been claiming (long before I posted anything) that the Bengals have had the smallest front office and fewest scouts ever since 1992?
Reply/Quote
Everyone remember just two years ago when so many of you were claiming that Marvin could not win with "the most talented roster in the league".

Seems like some of those exact same people are now claiming that our front office and scouting department are unable to find any talent.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 05:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Shouldn't you be directing this at everyone who has been claiming (long before I posted anything) that the Bengals have had the smallest front office and fewest scouts ever since 1992?

Actually, no.  You said "Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls" so I am asking how you know this information. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone remember just two years ago when so many of you were claiming that Marvin could not win with "the most talented roster in the league".

Seems like some of those exact same people are now claiming that our front office and scouting department are unable to find any talent.

Scouting is responsible for far more than the draft. Free agency. Scouting teams for gameplanning.

The Bengals did have 2 great drafts. The Dalton/Green/Boling draft and the Atkins/Dunlap draft.

They've also had a bunch of mediocre drafts.

Much of the talent on the roster has left via free agency over the past couple years and has been replaced with lesser talent. (See Nelson for Williams, Whitworth for Ced, etc.)
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Actually, no.  You said "Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls" so I am asking how you know this information. 

Do you see the tap dancer tapping away ? Exit stage left

Hilarious
Reply/Quote

So you're telling me that team that won 4 SBs in that time-frame (including two over us) as well as the team that won 4 SBs the decade before had larger front offices than we did?  Ruh roah!

(04-25-2017, 05:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone remember just two years ago when so many of you were claiming that Marvin could not win with "the most talented roster in the league".

Seems like some of those exact same people are now claiming that our front office and scouting department are unable to find any talent.

Message boards are a great place to see people completely over-blowing their team's talent.  
Reply/Quote
For this argument, the Browns aren't really a fair sample size. This is a new regime who has only been in place for a year.

The Bengals, Ravens and Bengals have been the same management for a decade. Quit deflecting the argument.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:47 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Actually, no.  You said "Nope, you are wrong.  We also had the smallest front office when we were going to Super Bowls" so I am asking how you know this information. 

The same way Pistons and everyone else knows that we have had the smallest front office for the last 26 years.

Funny how claims about the Bengals are never questioned when they are part of a group of haters having a whine fest.
Reply/Quote
Front office or not what matters is this...

[Image: 4f93b3d0ad147164be6cd7d2c40e0504.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 09:04 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Front office or not what matters is this...    

[Image: 4f93b3d0ad147164be6cd7d2c40e0504.jpg]

Hey...our next Playoff win and we can post '6 time playoff game winner!'

As we've only won 5 playoff games in franchise history.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 08:44 AM)fredtoast Wrote: The same way Pistons and everyone else knows that we have had the smallest front office for the last 26 years.

Funny how claims about the Bengals are never questioned when they are part of a group of haters having a whine fest.

Are you going to answer his question?  It sure seems like you just caught in a blatant lie. 

Keep side stepping, pal.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2017, 09:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote:
Hey...our next Playoff win and we can post '6 time playoff game winner!'

As we've only won 5 playoff games in franchise history.

LOL!!!  here we are worried about a bunch of pencil pushers!  and the Steelers keep dominating.  I am sick of it!!!!!!  
Reply/Quote