Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Comparing Front Office Sizes in the AFC North
(09-21-2017, 06:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wash rinse repeat..
Washington Generals=Cincinnati Bengals. 
It's a team designed to be beaten and not to win. It has nothing to do with the Brown family, coaching, etc., and everything to do with the league structure of having a consistent door mat to lose to the real money makers of the league, big market teams and they occasionally switch places, but not often enough. 
Does anyone think that the Washington Generals ever have a legitimate shot at beating the Harlem Globe Trotters any more than the Bengals having a legitimate shot at winning the SB? Of course not..

According to Google, the Generals have won 6 times. 

Just sayin'. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 06:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Wash rinse repeat..
Washington Generals=Cincinnati Bengals. 
It's a team designed to be beaten and not to win. It has nothing to do with the Brown family, coaching, etc., and everything to do with the league structure of having a consistent door mat to lose to the real money makers of the league, big market teams and they occasionally switch places, but not often enough. 
Does anyone think that the Washington Generals ever have a legitimate shot at beating the Harlem Globe Trotters any more than the Bengals having a legitimate shot at winning the SB? Of course not..

Are you serious or joking?

If you believe the NFL is scripted for the Bengals to lose...why would you follow them? I'm sure the Washington Generals don't have people who watch them and hope for a win.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 05:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Not a strawman. You said when he doesn't have a good offensive line he's terrible:

Heck, you're saying it again: Without an offensive line...like this year...he's a TERRIBLE QB.

Last year, he did not have a good offensive line. Yet, he wasn't terrible. So, you're either wrong about Dalton or you believe our offensive line was good last year.

We had the same line last year as we did the year before on the 12-4 team. Our line was not terrible last year.

The point with Dalton is you have to surround him with great WR's and a good line and he's just an above average QB.

Do you want to make the argument that Dalton is a Top 7-8 QB in the league? Where would you rank him?

Look...I'm not bashing him. We could do worse...but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and assume he is one of the best QB's in the league.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2017, 08:42 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We had the same line last year as we did the year before on the 12-4 team. Our line was not terrible last year.

The point with Dalton is you have to surround him with great WR's and a good line and he's just an above average QB.

Do you want to make the argument that Dalton is a Top 7-8 QB in the league? Where would you rank him?

Look...I'm not bashing him. We could do worse...but I'm not going to stick my head in the sand and assume he is one of the best QB's in the league.

Pistons you're my dude, but you can't say you looked at the 2016 line as "the same" line as 2015.

Dalton got sacked once every 19.3 attempts in 2015 (good)
He was sacked once every 13.7 attempts in 2016 (bad)

That's not even getting into all the pressures or how Ogbuehi was one of the worst linemen in the league according to PFF.

I don't think Philhos is saying Andy is one of the best in the league, just that he hasn't been terrible with a bad line. At least not up to now. That's not even mentioning 2012, when he was sacked 46 times (career high) and was the 13th rated QB with 27 touchdowns. Not to mention a pretty weak core of "weapons" outside of AJ Green. Gresham was an average TE. The #2 WR was a combo of Armon Binns and a couple of raw rookies. The run game was terrible. Literally all we had going for us on offense in 2012 was Dalton and Green.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well size does matter
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've always thought the biggest recent front office mistake was letting Jay Gruden get away.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Hmmm...so we lost a bunch of quality free agents over the past 2 years (Hall, Nelson, Peko, Whitworth, Zeitler, Sanu, Dansby, Hawk, Burkhead, etc.)

And we have a woefully small scouting department when compared to the other AFC North teams which hasn't brought in a lot of talent the past 5 years thru the draft.

Then we hear Willie Anderson talking about the coaches having a lot of paperwork preventing them from coaching. And we know they scout. But with college season they rely on workouts after the season. (How many players do we draft with insane bench press or powerlifting numbers that get here and can't play? Hunt, Askew, Westerman, Bodine or guys with insane speed Moch, Ross. Yeah...it's because we mainly scout workouts and the combine.)
Reply/Quote
Bengals
8 people in our Scouting Department. 26 people in our Ticket Sales Department.

Steelers
19 people in their Scouting Department. 6 people in their Ticket Sales Department.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2017, 04:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: With the Draft nearly upon us...lets take a look at the people who will be making these selections:

Steelers:
The Steelers have 19 people in their 'Football Operations' Department.
http://www.steelers.com/team/front-office.html

Bengals:
The Bengals have 8 people in their 'Player Personnel' Department.
http://www.bengals.com/team/staff-directory.html

Ravens:
 RTheavens have 25 people in their 'Player Personnel' Department.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/front-office.html

Before you discount that numbers matter...both of these teams have won 2 Super Bowls each since we've won a playoff game and they've appeared in a combined 6!

Browns:
The Browns have 32 people in their 'Player Personnel' epartment:
http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/front-office.html

The Browns really hurt the argument that more is better.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2017, 04:37 AM)Utts Wrote: The Browns really hurt the argument that more is better.

You have to throw the Browns out as an outlier. But, the Bengals help the argument that small scouting departments is bad...as it's what now 27+ years since we won a playoff game.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You have to throw the Browns out as an outlier. But, the Bengals help the argument that small scouting departments is bad...as it's what now 27+ years since we won a playoff game.

The Browns don't even know what they want to do as they're a revolving door of schemes/players attributes/personalities. 

Heaven for bid they develop a sense of direction and they will start competing much sooner.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:23 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: The Browns don't even know what they want to do as they're a revolving door of schemes/players attributes/personalities. 

Heaven for bid they develop a sense of direction and they will start competing much sooner.

Honestly, I could see the Browns winning a playoff game before us.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2017, 02:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, I could see the Browns winning a playoff game before us.

Yes, I can certainly see this.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
As it looks like we're about to enter the Dark Ages again...I think we need to start rehashing some of the facts. Fact 1 is the Bengals have an extremely small front office size compared to the rest of the AFC North.

When you look at how poor drafts have been recently, I think this is valid to look at.

The Browns are closer to winning a playoff game than we are.
Reply/Quote
3 losing seasons in a row. Maybe it's time to get with the times and revamp our front office?
Reply/Quote
Nothing is going to change idk why i can’t accept it why everyone else can’t either but watch
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 12:37 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: Nothing is going to change idk why i can’t accept it why everyone else can’t either but watch

Even if Marvin does get fired. Our roster is in shambles. We'll celebrate, but it's 5 years too late and it's going to take a long time to fix this.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2018, 11:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: 3 losing seasons in a row. Maybe it's time to get with the times and revamp our front office?

The Brown Family needs jobs. Consequently, they’ll keep theirs no matter how bad the team sucks. Them’s the bennies of owning the team. That said, it could be easily argued that more scouts/talent evaluators, and more non-Family Front Office positions would only improve the team. If Mike is going to continue playing the cheap prick, then the team has to get far better at evaluating draftable talent and/or budget free agents that fit whatever the team’s offensive/defensive scheme is. Their current, minimalist effort is laughable.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Glazer reporting that it looks like this may be Lewis last year with the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
The one good thing about all of this is that our best chance to avoid Hue Jackson as head coach may be if he tells Mike Brown that based on his experience with the Browns he needs 30 people in Player Personnel.
Reply/Quote