Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing currenr situation to 2011 re-build of the defense.
(01-16-2019, 05:42 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: He got ejected in the first quarter of the Colts game and his replacement won the game single-handedly. 

"Single-handedly"????

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
The area to improve the defense is linebackers. Although I wouldn't mind adding another stud DT because of the injuries to Glasgow and Billings. There are many high quality difference makers on the D-Line in the 2019 draft. Oliver could fall to #11. But if it came down to White at MLB or another blue chip DT/DE at #11, I would hope they choose White. As much as the team needs O-Line help, I think the Bengals need to add two backers in this upcoming draft.

It may come down to building the defense to be a top tier defense and ride with a mediocre offense, hoping the defense can carry. Or with Zac Taylor, the team may opt to build the O-Line and address the thin tight end position.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 05:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: This is just silly; why cut one of our best players because of one play? Anyways he was second on the team in tackles and led the team in interceptions.

Is is silly to ignore what I also said about missed tackles and coverage?  I did give him a bit of a pass because of the lack of pass rush, but the point remains that he is a lot of money that I feel could be better utilized elsewhere.  

Look at the impact of Bates in his rookie season.  Granted, they play different roles, but I think you can see the impact of a better talent compared to Iloka.  I think Williams could also be replaced.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 05:55 PM)Wyche Wrote: Yeah, but they didn't run that defense against NE, seems it was a one off deal to stop Jackson, and it worked.

As for the ejection, I get it, but I think they were trigger happy on that one.  A 15 yarder?  Sure.  I don't feel the ejection was warranted though.  Like I said, though, he led the team in INTs, and was 2nd in tackles, I think.  I'd keep him around, but that's just me.

He was second on the team in tackles, but who else played most the season at LB?  He did have some INTs, and those were big plays.  

I think the Chargers did run that defense in NE.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2019, 06:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: "Single-handedly"????

Hilarious

Coming in off the bench in the first quarter, he had 10 tackles (second only to Vigil's 11), forced a fumble, and made the 83 yard fumble return for a TD to seal the game.  

Yeah, I don't think they win that game without him.   Better?
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 08:22 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: He was second on the team in tackles, but who else played most the season at LB?  He did have some INTs, and those were big plays.  

I think the Chargers did run that defense in NE.

Maybe they did.....would explain why I changed the channel after 21-7. LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
We really need a great DC in the worlds worst way. Lewis is gone, Austin obviously won't be here so it'll have to be someone who knows how to get the most out of each and every player on the team. The wrong guy can make an otherwise pretty good defense into the Bengals D of early to mid 2018..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2019, 09:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think the Bengals can fix this defense fast.  Last year the Bengals were willing to bring in an OT paid in the top 10 in the league at his position and an ILB paid in the top half of the league at his.  And the Bengals have proven that they are willing to be a little aggressive in free agency.

In 2011 we signed three new starters for our defense.  The numbers don't sound high now, but they were not bad for 8 years ago.  

Nate Clements was getting old, but he was still a decent starter when we signed him at $10.5 million for 2 years.  Clements was a former Pro Bowler who had 82 tkls and 3 picks for the Niners in 2010.

Thomas Howard (2 yr $6.5 mil) had 62 career starts with 7 ints and almost 400 tkls for the Raiders.

Manny Lawson (1 yr $3 mil) had 56 starts, 14.5 sacks, and 240 tkls for the Niners.

They were 3 solid signings, and along with Geno busting out into a Pro Bowler his second year the defense moved up from 24 in points to number 9 and from 15th to 7th in yards.

Now let us look at our current situation on defense.

I have faith in our CBs.  Both Jackson and Kirkpatrick have shown they can be good starters, and Dennard has looked good at times also.  None of them are injured or old enough to be headed down hill.  I think they will be fine with better coaching.  

I also have faith in Lawson.  I know he only had 1 sack, but according to a new ESPN stat called "Pass Rush Win Rate" Lawson was 3rd in the league in beating his blocker in 2.5 seconds or quicker when he went down with injury.  He has elite skills.  If he stays healthy he can be a star.

Last year Hubbard lead all rookie D-linemen with 6 sacks and was 3rd in tackles.  Most NFL players get better after their rookie season, I have a lot of faith in Hubbard.  I think he will be a very good player for us.

Bates led all rookie DBs with 111 tkls, and his 3 ints was just one behind rookie leader Donte Jackson.  If he improves from his rookie season we have another very good player.

Geno Atkins was one of just 4 interior D-linemen with double digit sacks, and he was also near the top with 13 tacles for loss, and 19 QB hits.

Carlos Dunlap had 8 sacks but was first in the league among DEs with 8 passes defended (tipped passes) and 12th in QB hits (21).

We have a lot of talent on defense.  If get better coaching and upgraded three positions in free agency we could have a top defense again immediately.

I completely agree Fred, with a new DC that likes to play more aggressive man to man with our Corners who that is what they are, a couple good tackling Linebackers and atleast one that can cover and make plays we should be good. I think coaching, scheme, injuries and our LB coach were what killed us last year. We have a lot of young players that if coached up correctly namely in tackling and being able to diagnose plays, namely checkdowns we should improve immensely.

I think we must already have our DC and we just cannot announce it until Taylor is out of the postseason. I know lots would be jumping at this job, cause the players aren't the problem except for at Linebacker and that can be pretty easily fixed with a couple playmakers and a good Linebacker coach.

Could go from historically bad D to one of the best in one year. Would be great for a DC's resume that wants to be a HC soon.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2019, 08:20 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Is is silly to ignore what I also said about missed tackles and coverage?  I did give him a bit of a pass because of the lack of pass rush, but the point remains that he is a lot of money that I feel could be better utilized elsewhere.  

Look at the impact of Bates in his rookie season.  Granted, they play different roles, but I think you can see the impact of a better talent compared to Iloka.  I think Williams could also be replaced.  

It's silly because none of those things mentioned  actually happened.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
That Charger D scheme worked mostly because Jackson is a WR/RB playing the QB position. No touch on his passes, middling accuracy and only one speed on the throws. They were daring the Rats to throw.
Reply/Quote