Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing waste collection jobs
Anyone here ever work on a trash truck back when everyone still had to drag steel cans out to the street? I did and it was NO FUN especially in the summer months and to top it off the area i worked, Kettering, the residents didn't have to take their trash can to the street..we did it for them and I worked in the hilly areas of Kettering.
So today I'm watching the guys here casually walking along just rolling the trash cans up to the trash trucks..I wonder if they have even the slightest idea of how much easier they have it compared to 30-40 years ago..
This used to be a job that you absolutely had to be in great physical shape to do it. Now? Not so much..  
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Friend of mine used to work in sanitation. Said as a joke a carpenter filled up a cab with saw dust. The guys on the back of the truck were running along grabbing cans, hit that one and the guy did a cartwheel over it when he tried snatching the can full of a few hundred pounds.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote