Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compensatory Picks
JJ Dielman and Mason Schreck, both Comp Picks, we're cut.

These are the people that the Bengals neglect improving in free agency for and cheer about when a player leaves in FA.

I am pretty sure Dielman came from letting Reggie Nelson go. Letting NFL players go and getting people who can't make the 53 man roster?

[Image: gladiator-thumbs-down.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Great point!

Someone else posted a complete list of our Comp picks under Lewis. It's a pretty pathetic list.

Lose a Pro Bowl caliber player...replace him with a backup.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 02:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: JJ Dillman and Mason Schreck, both Comp Picks, we're cut.

These are the people that the Bengals neglect improving in free agency for and cheer about when a player leaves in FA.

[Image: gladiator-thumbs-down.gif]

Mr. Tobin is not impressing anyone with his late round draft picks 
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great point!

Someone else posted a complete list of our Comp picks under Lewis. It's a pretty pathetic list.

Is that Lewis or Tobin's fault? Or I guess it's both...
Reply/Quote
The way I see it is, our 2 biggest weaknesses last season was Kicker and Oline. We didnt address either till the 5th, I get not drafting a Kicker before the 5th but damn both cut already. So did we really improve.
Reply/Quote
Not liking our Comp picks either.

Hopefully these guys go to the PS and someday contribute something good otherwise it is embarassing.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 02:40 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Great point!

That was me.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bengals-Marvin-and-Comp-Picks

2003, 7th, DE Elton Patterson
2004, 3rd, LB Landon Johnson
2007, 7th, S Chinedum Ndukwe
2008, 3rd, WR Andre Caldwell
2008, 6th, TE Matt Sherry
2008, 7th, DE Angelo Craig
2008, 7th, WR Mario Urrutia
2009, 3rd, TE Chase Coffman
2009, 6th, RB Bernard Scott
2009, 7th, DE Clinton McDonald
2009, 7th, WR Freddie Brown
2010, 3rd, CB Brandon Ghee
2010, 4th, LB Roddrick Muckleroy
2011, 7th, RB Jay Finley
2013, 7th, OT Reid Fragel
2013, 7th, C TJ Johnson
2014, 6th, LB Marquis Flowers
2014, 7th, CB Lavelle Westbrooks
2015, 3rd, LB Paul Dawson
2015, 4th, DE Marcus Hardison

With none in 2016, and now in 2017:
2017, 4th, DT Ryan Glasgow
2017, 5th, C JJ Dielman
2017, 7th, TE Mason Schreck

Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 03:35 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That was me.
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Bengals-Marvin-and-Comp-Picks

2003, 7th, DE Elton Patterson
2004, 3rd, LB Landon Johnson
2007, 7th, S Chinedum Ndukwe
2008, 3rd, WR Andre Caldwell
2008, 6th, TE Matt Sherry
2008, 7th, DE Angelo Craig
2008, 7th, WR Mario Urrutia
2009, 3rd, TE Chase Coffman
2009, 6th, RB Bernard Scott
2009, 7th, DE Clinton McDonald
2009, 7th, WR Freddie Brown
2010, 3rd, CB Brandon Ghee
2010, 4th, LB Roddrick Muckleroy
2011, 7th, RB Jay Finley
2013, 7th, OT Reid Fragel
2013, 7th, C TJ Johnson
2014, 6th, LB Marquis Flowers
2014, 7th, CB Lavelle Westbrooks
2015, 3rd, LB Paul Dawson
2015, 4th, DE Marcus Hardison

With none in 2016, and now in 2017:
2017, 4th, DT Ryan Glasgow
2017, 5th, C JJ Dielman
2017, 7th, TE Mason Schreck

Pitiful.

Why do our drafts get so much praise again?
Reply/Quote
Schreck is heading to IR with a torn ACL from the Colts game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
You'd probably be very hard pressed to find an impressive list, regardless of team.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 05:44 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: You'd probably be very hard pressed to find an impressive list, regardless of team.

And the Bengals knows this. The PR side of it says that they don't use free agency heavily to preserve the Comp picks because they know that fans like their draft picks.

I can't remember a draft where fans on this board weren't excited. Fans tend to think that they got 5 impact starters from every draft. In reality we're lucky to get 1 or 2 starters and that's a 2-3 years from the draft in most cases.

Look at the John Ross hype train. He won't be playing in our 1st 2 games and has yet to catch a pass in a preseason game. He may eventually be a special player, but even with 1st Round picks...they generally don't improve you that much day 1.

The Bengals try to sell fans on the fact that they don't sign starters in free agency because these 5th, 6th, and 7th Round picks are coming in and improving the team. It generally doesn't happen with draft picks.

So you look at it this way...we lost 2 starters in Zeitler and Whitworth and we probably drafted 1 guy who is a starter this year in Mixon. The rest of the guys will be depth guys in rotations...which you need...but we lost more than we gained.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 05:44 PM)ElkValleyBengal Wrote: You'd probably be very hard pressed to find an impressive list, regardless of team.

True, but that's not gonna stop the Bengals PR team from pimping comp picks like they're stealing great value and tricking the rest of the NFL with their "awesome strategy" !

When the actual truth is we haven't gotten a single player who's made a true impact on the team. Couple guys who've done OK.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
4 draft picks not making the team is wretched. Actually more like 5 considering we traded up for Wilson.
Reply/Quote

From my count, there's actually been 14 Pro Bowlers that have come out of the compensatory round in the Marvin Lewis era ('03-'16 drafts) or 1 a year averaged out. Granted, that's out of 32 picks a year, or 448 picks. Meaning 3.125% of comp picks in the Marvin Lewis era have been Pro Bowlers, with the Bengals making 23 of those picks and getting 0.

The REALLY sad thing is? Over the time that 14 Pro Bowlers were selected in comp rounds (so end of 3rd round or later) the Bengals have only drafted 11 Pro Bowlers. Sure there's a pick differential of 425 (the 448 minus the Bengals' 23) to 124, but the Bengals 124 includes all their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks, which are statistically significantly more likely to produce (9 of the Bengals 11 Pro Bowlers in the Lewis era came from the 1st and 2nd round). The only two Pro Bowlers the Bengals have drafted after the 2nd round in the Lewis era are Kevin Huber and Geno Atkins.

Reply/Quote
I think we severely underachieved this off season. We had 11 picks, a tradable QB and some decent cash. We got some young talent in the draft but I don't expect more than 2 of those picks to make an impact this year. Which is about average, maybe even slightly better. The FA's we brought in, Minter, D.Smith are both backups at best. We still have around 18 Mil. We still have major questions with the Oline even the kicker. I just don't see how this team is supposed to be any better than last year. It seems we've done the bare minimum but expect the fans to believe this franchise is committed to winning. Did this team do enough to make you think so? I don't see it. Hope they surprised the hell out of me, but for now I'm not impressed at all.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals draft the shiny skill players. The guy with the fastest 40 yard time that is constantly injured. Mixon does look promising but they overlooked the bad PR. Hopefully he stays out of trouble in the Pros.

Then they take shortcuts on guys with issues like Jones and Burfict. Burfict's college career was littered with personal fouls and benchings from lack of discipline. Those issues have followed him to the Pros...and fans think there is some league conspiracy against the Bengals.

The same things happened to Burfict in college. He also leads with his head on tackles which has caused concussion issues. No modification made on this by the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
Ross is like that new cherry red Porsche that your too afraid to drive and get dinged up. Hopefully they get a good insurance and open him up on the autobahn.
Reply/Quote
(09-02-2017, 03:38 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Pitiful.

Why do our drafts get so much praise again?

To me, this is looking at a hot girl and complaining about a pimple on her butt cheek.  No one is perfect, and this draft looks amazing and they have drafted very well, overall, for some time now.  

The people complaining about letting good veterans go for comp picks that were backups don't understand that those picks were never going to replace those players directly, but they did afford the opportunity to get more nute-and-bolts key pieces for this team.  When you "build through the draft", you are able to sign your key core players to long-term contracts (AJ, Andy, Eifert, Gio, Atkins, Dunlap, Burfict, Williams, Iloka, Dre, etc) because you aren't overpaying for FA also-rans to take the place of later round draft picks.  

Sure, that list of compensatory picks is a who's-who of guys that were not very impactful, but by merely having those extra selections, it allowed the Bengals to have more opportunities to hit on guys in the later rounds and with their original seven picks.  Look at recent history of guys like Iloka (5th), TJ Johnson(7th), James Wright (7th), Uzomah (5th), Derron Smith(6th), Westerman(5th), Core(6th) Fejedelem(7th), and this year's Jordan Evans(6th).  I think you would all agree that these guys are in some way vital pieces to this team.  

Maybe some of the current cuts also find their way on to the practice squad.  The current crop also stepped up their game because they were drafted as well.  
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:21 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: To me, this is looking at a hot girl and complaining about a pimple on her butt cheek.  No one is perfect, and this draft looks amazing and they have drafted very well, overall, for some time now.   

I think the issue is more about us winning 6 games and letting players walk and doing little/nothing in free agency while the two teams that played in the AFC Championship game spent the off-season making some pretty big moves to improve their team.  It's like the Bengals, Steelers, and Patriots are all vying for the same hot girl and they are working out and learning to play sweet electric guitar to impress her and we are sitting in our mom's basement watching Battlestar Galactica reruns and eating hot pockets and waiting for her to come to her senses and pick us because we are a nice guy.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2017, 09:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the issue is more about us winning 6 games and letting players walk and doing little/nothing in free agency while the two teams that played in the AFC Championship game spent the off-season making some pretty big moves to improve their team.  It's like the Bengals, Steelers, and Patriots are all vying for the same hot girl and they are working out and learning to play sweet electric guitar to impress her and we are sitting in our mom's basement watching Battlestar Galactica reruns and eating hot pockets and waiting for her to come to her senses and pick us because we are a nice guy.

Despite the pure awesomeness of this response, I have to disagree on this premise:  Who would you have kept, for what money, and what future FA we would not be able to sign because we kept an aging Whitworth and a WAY overvalued Zeitler.  

I would much rather go with who we have and be able to sign Burfict and Eifert.  They are more important to the team at this stage.  

Huge Rep on the post, though, for creativity. 
Reply/Quote