Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compromised OL Off season plan
I think the plan should be to improve the OL's stability with short term money until the rookie contracts of the offensive studs hit. The FO is notorious for putting too much hope/stock into their own young prospects, but could buy into this as they did with the Riley Rieff deal.

Two things that won't happen:
1. Long term deal to Jonah Williams: They'll let his rookie deal play out and tag him if needed the following year.
2. High resource (pick or contract) going to a RG. They have a lot of in house guys to complete, and I'll give them that if they...

Three things that should happen:
1. Sign Spain to a 3-4 year deal. This should be done really early in the off season, some of us will say they overpay but it has less guaranteed money in the final year.
2. The big improvement that I think will happen is actually at center, not RG. Hopkins is coming off the injury and battling well, but they need to invest his 6M into a high end center in case they have issues at RG short term or have issues at other positions like OT in the long term. Ryan Jensen will be overpriced, Karras is possible but I think they give Ben Jones a 3rd year even at his age. I want a big long term free agency pickup at center, but I'll take Jones and his elite pass blocking at center to take pressure off RG for 2-3 years.
3. Keep Riley Rieff. Don't be shocked if they again give him a front loaded first year especially with them liking Carman, Smith and some others.

Some of these young guys could move around the line but the OL would look something like:

LT Jonah Williams/Isaiah Prince- Jonah is the future and hopefully stays long term. They like Prince as a 3rd tackle and D'Ante Smith could be an option here too long term

LG Quinton Spain/D'Ante Smith- They should be thrilled if Spain keeps his production from this year

C Ben Jones/Trey Hill - Jones would be a stable improvement, Hill likely back as the backup

RG Hakeem Adeniji/Jackson Carman/D'Ante Smith/Fred Johnson (RFA)- RG will be a polarizing topic through the off season. I can see polls where people are pounding the table calling it a mistake to not solidify the position or "calling" that their guy will be a great RG. I'm content with a RG battle as a compromise if they get the other positions right.

RT Riley Rieff/Prince and the new generation of leftovers from the RG scrum
Reply/Quote
Quinton Spain will be a big resign this offseason but I think he like Cincy and will want to stay with a solid deal.

Trey Hopkins is under contract for one more season, has history with solid center play, and has come on strong after a rough start due to healing from his ACL. This would be a good year to drsft a developmental center if they can't land Iowa's Tyler Linderbaum. In free agency the name that sticks out to me is James Daniels. He has improved his play alot since his rookie year but has very little NFL experience at Center even though that's where he played in college. A few more names in the draft at Center are Notre Dame's Jarrett Patterson, Arizona State's Dohnovan West (if he declares), and Minnesota's John Michael Schmitz.

Right Tackle is my big question mark. Even though I was one of the biggest advocates for Riley Reiff to come in and stabilize the right tackle spot I wouldnt hate this being the spot attacked in the first round. Trevor Penning or Nicolas Petit-Frere are likely going to be high on my draft board this off-season.

As for Right Guard stay the course let Jackson Carman, Hakeem Adeniji, D'Ante Smith, and a possible late day 2 or day 3 draft choice battle it out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no idea what they will do, but I do know one thing, offensive linemen who are free agents will be interested in coming here now.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 12:38 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I have no idea what they will do, but I do know one thing, offensive linemen who are free agents will be interested in coming here now.

Yes please let some of this happen....I have feeling however that they stick with Hopkins. 
and for the love of god, can we at least attempt to bring in a real game changer at TE? either via draft, trade or FA? 
Reply/Quote
In terms of drafting interior lineman, I don't think there are any centers or guards that are first round worthy beyond Linderbaum, Ekwonu, and Green. And maybe 1 more guy who is late 2nd round worthy. Maybe 2-3 more 3rd rounders. Not a deep IOL draft at all.

OT is a bit better. But not nearly as deep as last year. Neal & Cross are the top tier guys and will be pong gone. There are some late first/early 2nd types. Penning from Northern Iowa (small school). Kinnard from Kentucky.

Not a huge Petit-Frere fan. A reach in the first and probably gone by the time we pick in the 2nd. Both OTs from Minnesota are intruiging. Raimann (LT) is a 2nd round option, but he'd have to switch sides. Faalele (RT) is huge (6'9'", 380) and only started playing football 5 years ago. Late 2nd/3rd. Kind of raw. But man, signing Reiff short term and have him mentor Faalele would be interesting.
Reply/Quote
I think an important question is...why we gotta compromise? lol

(Did you mean Comprised?)

I really hope they get rid of Prince though.
He a terrible pass blocker.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I would love to see us go after Jason Kelce. I know hes older but see Andrew Whitworth and tell me that matters... Jason went to UC. Im sure the idea of coming back to Cincy and anchoring the OL on this young, sexy offense would be intriguing. At LG agree re-sign Spain he's solid and earned it in my eyes. At RG let the in-house guys compete. At RT I think bring back Reiff and draft a first round tackle even if that means trading up for the right guy. If the draft pick is ready day 1 great roll with him, if he's not let him learn behind Reiff. If the rookie RT is ready day 1 Reiff could even end up snagging the RG spot if the in-house guys aren't shining.

Jonah....Spain....Kelce....Carman/Smith/Reiff?.....Rookie or Reiff

Cigar
Reply/Quote
Between signing Reiff and three OL picks last offseason the process of rebuilding the line has started. Now they need to get real, legit starter quality vets at RG and C and either better depth at RT or maybe we draft the other bookend and get us a big, mean RT.
Reply/Quote
I’d consider Morgan Moses if Reiff doesn’t want to come back on a team friendly deal. I’d like an upgrade at RT as I wasn’t impressed with Reiff and it’s still a bandaid. There are rumors that Becton may be on the way out in NY after having some issues, I’d move him back to RT where he should be and be really happy with the long term tackle situation.

If we do something at RT and keep Spain I’ll feel okay as I think Hopkins can get back to average play. Now that said I wouldn’t mind being opportunistic if a high end C is available in FA or in the draft.
Reply/Quote
Austin Corbett at RG would be a good acquisition. Spain is just about a must re-sign at this point. If they don't keep the band together with Williams/Spain/Hopkins, they absolutely need to go after Scherff at that point IMHO. They cannot afford to move backwards on the left side of the line. 
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2022, 01:10 PM)kalibengal Wrote: Yes please let some of this happen....I have feeling however that they stick with Hopkins. 
and for the love of god, can we at least attempt to bring in a real game changer at TE? either via draft, trade or FA? 

I think Uzomah is fine at TE because it’s tough to justify spending $ or a high pick on a TE.
There just won’t be enough targets for him to be worth it. You already have to feed the ball to 3 very good WRs and Mixon. I think a guy like Uzomah who can make plays when called on but doesn’t have to get a lot of targets is a good fit.
Now I would love to have a Andrews or a Kelce at TE but he would not put up his normal numbers here and thus be a bit of a waste of money to me. Would rather see an OL in FA (and a couple in the draft)
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2022, 01:46 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I think Uzomah is fine at TE because it’s tough to justify spending $ or a high pick on a TE.
There just won’t be enough targets for him to be worth it.  You already have to feed the ball to 3 very good WRs and Mixon. I think a guy like Uzomah who can make plays when called on but doesn’t have to get a lot of targets is a good fit.
Now I would love to have a Andrews or a Kelce at TE but he would not put up his normal numbers here and thus be a bit of a waste of money to me.  Would rather see an OL in FA (and a couple in the draft)

If memory serves back in 2005 we had some pretty good receivers and a TE made of glass, but had a good season.. I like CJ, make no bones about it, but a really great pass catching TE couldn't hurt us in the least.. Who knows? There might be a stud TE just sitting lower in the draft or even an up and comer as a CFA waiting to be had.. Draft "guru's" are far from always being right about players. As I've often said, the last job in the world I'd want is to have to predict the fortunes of a lot of young men..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2021, 02:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Quinton Spain will be a big resign this offseason but I think he like Cincy and will want to stay with a solid deal.

Trey Hopkins is under contract for one more season, has history with solid center play, and has come on strong after a rough start due to healing from his ACL. This would be a good year to drsft a developmental center if they can't land Iowa's Tyler Linderbaum. In free agency the name that sticks out to me is James Daniels. He has improved his play alot since his rookie year but has very little NFL experience at Center even though that's where he played in college. A few more names in the draft at Center are Notre Dame's Jarrett Patterson, Arizona State's Dohnovan West (if he declares), and Minnesota's John Michael Schmitz.

Right Tackle is my big question mark. Even though I was one of the biggest advocates for Riley Reiff to come in and stabilize the right tackle spot I wouldnt hate this being the spot attacked in the first round. Trevor Penning or Nicolas Petit-Frere are likely going to be high on my draft board this off-season.

As for Right Guard stay the course let Jackson Carman, Hakeem Adeniji, D'Ante Smith, and a possible late day 2 or day 3 draft choice battle it out.

James Daniels would an awesome FA signing at RG.  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 04:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think an important question is...why we gotta compromise? lol

(Did you mean Comprised?)

I really hope they get rid of Prince though.
He a terrible pass blocker.

I'm glad you asked, I see it as the FO needing to compromise their historical values a little more.  I said they're notorious for putting too much hope/stock into their own prospects, but they did sign Rieff and threw money at a historically bad defense the last 2 years. 

So, I'll give them that they'll probably let the young guys battle that aren't good enough yet to solidify the RG spot. We NEED to have proven talent at the other spots.  That includes keeping Spain and hopefully an upgrade at either C or RT (as a few of you have mentioned).  I doubt they do both, just being realistic. 

So more guys may want to come to Cincy.  If there is a solid aging vet at RG sign the man and let your kids you favor have a shot to win.  We have never been here, we may get solid vet depth for a brutal 1st place 17 game 5th covid variation season.  I think the line will improve, but the "spend 30M and two high pick" plans we will hear won't happen.  We have to compromise.
Reply/Quote
We now have to ask, who are the best FA lineman?

I mean, we are picking 29th (at best), the chances a plug and play OL falls to us are slim, though not impossible. But we should not rely on that and then have to reach in the draft.

Also, we need help at all 3 spots, RT, RG, and C. Plus Spain is a FA. And I am not sold on Jonah as a high end LT.

I am mot an OL guru. I cannot say that this player is a better run blocker or pass blocker. I have to rely on stats for that. Nor can I discern if a player fits within a certain scheme. But I can compile lists of the top FAs on the offensive line. Grades & estimated salary listed.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Tackle.
1. Terron Armstrong, Saints. (2nd). LT. 76.6 PFF. 30. $19.3 mil.
2. Orlando Brown Jr , KC. (9th). LT. 75.2 PFF. 25. Pro Bowl Starter. $21 mil.
3. Duane Brown, Sea. (32nd). LT. 71.5 PFF. 36. $10 mil.
4. Eric Fisher, Colts. (34th). LT. 68.6 PFF. 30. $16 mil.
5. Morgan Moses, NYJ. (58th). RT. 71.0 PFF. 30. $7.5 mil.
6. Trent Brown, NE. (79th). T. 78.3 PFF. 28. $10 mil.
7. Germain Ifedi, Bears. (92nd). T/G. 61.8 PFF. 27.

Guard.
1. Brandon Scherff, Wash. (19th). 73.7 PFF. 30. Pro Bowl Reserve. $16.7 mil.
2. Connor Williams, Dallas. (38th). 76.6 PFF. 24. $6.67 mil.
3. James Daniels, Bears. (40th). 71.5 PFF. 24. $10 mil.
4. Andrew Norwell, Jax. (57th). 67.1 PFF. 30. $7.25 mil.
5. Austin Corbett, Rams. (75th). 69.3 PFF. 26. $9.25 mil.
6. Alex Cappa, TB. (86th). 74.2 PFF. 26. $9.25 mil.

Center.
1. Ryan Jensen, TB. (12th). 70.8 PFF. 30. Pro Bowl Starter. $10 mil.
2. Ben Jones, Tenn. (46th). 77.8 PFF. 32. $6.67 mil.
3. Brian Allen, Rams. (68th). 80.1 PFF. 26. $7.25 mil.

Bengals.
1. Jessie Bates, S, 11th. Franchise.
2. BJ Hill, DT, 74th. $8.75 mil.
3. Riley Reiff, RT, 91st. $7 mil.
Reply/Quote
There are several combinations for the team to address the o line without even necessarily breaking the bank. I like the idea of resigning reiff and Spain, bringing in Daniels or Connor Williams and drafting a tackle in rd 1 to develop behind reiff. That still leaves us with Jackson and smith to develop and hopefully be key reserves for 1 more year and then be ready to start.
Reply/Quote
Think we need to go all FA for oline this offseason and all defense in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 06:26 PM)BurrowTheGoat Wrote: I would love to see us go after Jason Kelce. I know hes older but see Andrew Whitworth and tell me that matters... Jason went to UC. Im sure the idea of coming back to Cincy and anchoring the OL on this young, sexy offense would be intriguing. At LG agree re-sign Spain he's solid and earned it in my eyes. At RG let the in-house guys compete. At RT I think bring back Reiff and draft a first round tackle even if that means trading up for the right guy. If the draft pick is ready day 1 great roll with him, if he's not let him learn behind Reiff. If the rookie RT is ready day 1 Reiff could even end up snagging the RG spot if the in-house guys aren't shining.

Jonah....Spain....Kelce....Carman/Smith/Reiff?.....Rookie or Reiff

Well Jason Peters fell off a cliff. I’d say age definitely matters until more guys start playing great at a late age.
Reply/Quote
We need a beast rookie at RT/RG and a veteran at the remaining position. At the very least get a beast FB.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:42 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: We now have to ask, who are the best FA lineman?

I mean, we are picking 29th (at best), the chances a plug and play OL falls to us are slim, though not impossible. But we should not rely on that and then have to reach in the draft.  

Also, we need help at all 3 spots, RT, RG, and C. Plus Spain is a FA. And I am not sold on Jonah as a high end LT.

I am mot an OL guru. I cannot say that this player is a better run blocker or pass blocker. I have to rely on stats for that. Nor can I discern if a player fits within a certain scheme. But I can compile lists of the top FAs on the offensive line.  Grades & estimated salary listed.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-free-agent-rankings-free-agency

Tackle.
1. Terron Armstrong, Saints. (2nd). LT. 76.6 PFF. 30.  $19.3 mil.
2. Orlando Brown Jr , KC. (9th). LT. 75.2 PFF. 25. Pro Bowl Starter. $21 mil.
3. Duane Brown, Sea. (32nd). LT. 71.5 PFF. 36. $10 mil.
4. Eric Fisher, Colts. (34th). LT. 68.6 PFF. 30. $16 mil.
5. Morgan Moses, NYJ. (58th). RT. 71.0 PFF. 30. $7.5 mil.
6. Trent Brown, NE. (79th). T. 78.3 PFF. 28. $10 mil.
7. Germain Ifedi, Bears. (92nd). T/G. 61.8 PFF. 27.

Guard.  
1. Brandon Scherff, Wash. (19th). 73.7 PFF. 30. Pro Bowl Reserve. $16.7 mil.
2. Connor Williams, Dallas. (38th). 76.6 PFF. 24. $6.67 mil.
3. James Daniels, Bears. (40th). 71.5 PFF. 24. $10 mil.
4. Andrew Norwell, Jax. (57th). 67.1 PFF. 30. $7.25 mil.
5. Austin Corbett, Rams. (75th). 69.3 PFF. 26. $9.25 mil.
6. Alex Cappa, TB. (86th). 74.2 PFF. 26. $9.25 mil.

Center.
1. Ryan Jensen, TB. (12th). 70.8 PFF. 30. Pro Bowl Starter. $10 mil.
2. Ben Jones, Tenn. (46th). 77.8 PFF. 32. $6.67 mil.
3. Brian Allen, Rams. (68th). 80.1 PFF. 26. $7.25 mil.

Bengals.
1. Jessie Bates, S, 11th. Franchise.
2. BJ Hill, DT, 74th. $8.75 mil.
3. Riley Reiff, RT, 91st. $7 mil.

We have the cap money. We need to sign 2 vet starters for the OL. Scherff should be priority #1 1 for both our passing and running game. Then, develop the young guys we have now and add a couple in the draft in rounds 3 and 4. That would give us the ability to go defense with pick #1 and #2 in the draft. Our defense has improved, but we need more talent on the DL to help Trey and Hubbard. and Reader.

I would also sign Hill, he has been a great addition.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote