Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerns with Devin Bush
I have gone through and watched 4 different games of Devin Bush and I really think he has a lot of flaws is his game for a guy that we might be considering at pick #11. He really struggles to get off blocks and gets pushed around quite a bit. He is also not a very good cover linebacker. If you just watch his highlights he is going to look good (like most players) but he really makes a lot of plays blitzing and when he is untouched.

I actually like Blake Cashman from Minnesota a heck of a lot more after watching a couple of his games. He does better getting off blocks, can cover, and seems to be a sure-tackler. I would take Cashman in the 2nd over Bush even so I really hope that Bush is not the pick at #11 and I was someone that was trying to get on board with it because we need Linebacker help so bad and White is likely not there anymore.

Just my thoughts and feel free to tell me what you like most about his game and why you want him at pick 11 if you disagree.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:51 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I have gone through and watched 4 different games of Devin Bush and I really think he has a lot of flaws is his game for a guy that we might be considering at pick #11. He really struggles to get off blocks and gets pushed around quite a bit. He is also not a very good cover linebacker. If you just watch his highlights he is going to look good (like most players) but he really makes a lot of plays blitzing and when he is untouched.

I actually like Blake Cashman from Minnesota a heck of a lot more after watching a couple of his games. He does better getting off blocks, can cover, and seems to be a sure-tackler. I would take Cashman in the 2nd over Bush even so I really hope that Bush is not the pick at #11 and I was someone that was trying to get on board with it because we need Linebacker help so bad and White is likely not there anymore.

Just my thoughts and feel free to tell me what you like most about his game and why you want him at pick 11 if you disagree.

He's similar to Shazier at OSU when you watch the tape. When you use speeds to beat blockers you sometimes get tied up. This is the reason many project him as more of a Will than a Mike in the NFL because he's not the greatest at shedding. His blitzing tends to be untoched because his first step and his ability to get skinny. Coverage wise he is a plus cover backer, mainly at getting into the flats or playing a hook zone. He has the physical ability to run in man but will need work, the tools are there though when you watch him do his hip flip drills at the pro day. 

He isn't as clean a prospect as Smith last year, but I think people over estimate how far off he is from White. White isn't this perfectly clean prospect either. 
Reply/Quote
Devin White has a few quirks at linebacker too... a big one is how he was used at LSU. They didnt make him make alot of reads instead letting him use his speed and athletisim to attack similar to what Texas did for Malik Jeffereson his senior year. When he was asked to read keys he was often slow processing but made up for it with his speed.

Hes alot more boom or bust than people realize.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Devin Bush is also a little on the short side at around 5' 11.

Devin White measured in at 6' 0.

I could see the Bengals maybe taking Devin White at #11 but I doubt Devin Bush goes that high.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 12:51 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I have gone through and watched 4 different games of Devin Bush and I really think he has a lot of flaws is his game for a guy that we might be considering at pick #11. He really struggles to get off blocks and gets pushed around quite a bit. He is also not a very good cover linebacker. If you just watch his highlights he is going to look good (like most players) but he really makes a lot of plays blitzing and when he is untouched.

I would not draft Bush at 11.  I would take Wilson in round two instead.  Also, I think the Bengals could get more out of moving safety Williams to a hybrid safety/backer role and play him at WIL.  Draft another safety.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 01:33 PM)Synric Wrote: Devin White has a few quirks at linebacker too... a big one is how he was used at LSU. They didnt make him make alot of reads instead letting him use his speed and athletisim to attack similar to what Texas did for Malik Jeffereson his senior year. When he was asked to read keys he was often slow processing but made up for it with his speed.

Hes alot more boom or bust than people realize.

I don't think White will necessarily bust, but I don't think he's a slam dunk Patrick Willis/Luke Kuechley LB prospect, either.  I think the Top 5 talk for him is a little insane.  I think he will be a good individual player, but question whether he will become the defensive field general you expect when you take a MLB that high.  Is he a Ray Lewis or an Odell Thurman?
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 06:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would not draft Bush at 11.  I would take Wilson in round two instead.  Also, I think the Bengals could get more out of moving safety Williams to a hybrid safety/backer role and play him at WIL.  Draft another safety.  

This really hasn’t worked like people wanted it to (S to LB) It was all the rage a few years back but hasn’t been that effective like people thought.
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 07:05 PM)Au165 Wrote: This really hasn’t worked like people wanted it to (S to LB) It was all the rage a few years back but hasn’t been that effective like people thought.

I agree. The Patriots proved that when teams start to set the defenses with safety size linebackers they just slap a fullback in and run it down their throats. That is the perfect counter move. 
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 09:29 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: I agree. The Patriots proved that when teams start to set the defenses with safety size linebackers they just slap a fullback in and run it down their throats. That is the perfect counter move. 

I'm not a big fan of Bush, either.  If we can't get White, I want Vosean Joseph in 2.  He's a fast, instinctive guy that can hit.  May be a tad undersized, but can probably add weight.  
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2019, 06:31 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would not draft Bush at 11.  I would take Wilson in round two instead.  Also, I think the Bengals could get more out of moving safety Williams to a hybrid safety/backer role and play him at WIL.  Draft another safety.  

We've been asking for this for awhile, but there's no indication it's happening. If the Bengals were planning to do this, they would have kept (or re-signed) George Iloka. Honestly, Iloka is probably a better fit at LB than Williams due to size (6'4", 225 lbs vs 6'0, 212 lbs).

Regarding safety in the draft, there aren't any safeties worth taking in the top half of the first round. I would take Devin Bush at 11 before I took a safety at 11. There are a lot of good Day 2 prospects all around the same talent level though.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
He has the pedigree (dad played in the NFL), elite physical talent, is the son of a coach, leadership ability, and seems to love the game.

Those are some really good boxes to check in my book.
Reply/Quote
Biggest issue I have with Bush is that he was a non-factor in several college games. Ideally, you want your top-10 (or top-11 ...) pick to be someone the other side has to game plan for. Bush isn't that guy, and probably never will be. White isn't that guy either, but he could be -- which is why I prefer him over Bush. I'd be fine with White, but the closer we get to the draft, I'm thinking I might rather have whichever top D-lineman falls to us. It likely won't be Bosa, Williams, or Allen, but it's almost certain that one of Oliver, Wilkins, Sweat, or Gary will be there.
Reply/Quote
(03-21-2019, 04:30 PM)shanebo Wrote: Biggest issue I have with Bush is that he was a non-factor in several college games.  Ideally, you want your top-10 (or top-11 ...) pick to be someone the other side has to game plan for.  Bush isn't that guy, and probably never will be.  White isn't that guy either, but he could be -- which is why I prefer him over Bush.  I'd be fine with White, but the closer we get to the draft, I'm thinking I might rather have whichever top D-lineman falls to us.  It likely won't be Bosa, Williams, or Allen, but it's almost certain that one of Oliver, Wilkins, Sweat, or Gary will be there.

I SO  TOTALLY AGREE WITH WHAT YOU JUST SAID,Take either oliver,wilkins,sweat or gray and not any of the linebackers or a top top OL Tackle,especially for the right side where hart plays.and then in the third get a guard for that same side.I like Long as a backer or edge,he is a beast.
Reply/Quote
Bush will most likely be the pick. Guys like Kuechly and Roquan Smith have altered how top 10 LBs are perceived. Smith is viewed in that mold so it's unlikely he'll be there for us unless we trade up. If the Bengals opt to trade back and try for Bush later, then they risk someone jumping over them and swiping Bush away from us. At that rate, we're close to trotting Nickerson and Evans back out there when 3 LBs are on the field.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I don't see Bush as a first rounder.  He's not that big, not that fast, and he doesn't anticipate what's about to happen as well as a first round LB should.  Drafting for need is a surefire way to water down a roster.  He'll likely be a disappointment by first round standards. His tackles are very "hoola-hoop" as opposed to sudden. His hips seem a bit stiff. He takes a while to chug up to speed. He's not very long. He'll get trucked by the big guys, have his ankles broken by the quick guys, and get posted out by the TE receiver types. His skill set just does not translate because he won't be able to just out-sprint college dudes or rush in unblocked as often.
Reply/Quote
La Canfora just mentioned in an article the Steelers love Bush which kind of matches with my belief for a month now that his floor is 20.
Reply/Quote
If he's the top guy on our draft board when it's our turn to draft, I hope we trade down. I don't think he's a very good value at 11.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 12:11 PM)Schmitbuck Wrote: If he's the top guy on our draft board when it's our turn to draft, I hope we trade down. I don't think he's a very good value at 11.

If he plugs that gaping hole in the second level of our D, nobody will care all that much if he is a bit of a reach.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2019, 02:41 PM)McC Wrote: If he plugs that gaping hole in the second level of our D, nobody will care all that much if he is a bit of a reach.
You do remember which message board you're on, right?  Tongue

If it's perceived as a reach, we'll hear about the team not trading back and getting him later until his 1st pro bowl.
Reply/Quote

Being a Michigan fan, Ive seen a lot of his games and would be excited if we are able to draft him.. 3 down player aggressive with a motor.. enough said for me. He is grading out as 2nd best LB in most draft analysis .. I will take speed, ability, aggressive play over height and length any day..  I feel he is our pick at #11 unless a top 2 OT drops to #11 and then could go either way

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/devin-bush

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2019/02/14/2019-nfl-draft-profile-devin-bush-michigan/ 
Reply/Quote