Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concussion Protocol (and updates, please)
I don't know much about the concussion protocol and what a player has to do to be cleared to play. I know some players have made it back within a week while others have been out two to three weeks before making it back.

What all is involved in successfully moving through the concussion protocol and being cleared to play. I think that getting Trey back for the Titans game is essential for us coming out on top in that game.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, would you please post any updates on Trey's status in this thread as we move through the week and closer to Saturday's game? Also, if Trey doesn't make it back this week, what do you see is our best option to try to compensate for his loss?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply/Quote
It's a progression of steps. We have to get certified in concussion protocol as youth football coaches.

1. All symptoms have to have disappeared.
2. Return to "normal" activity without symptoms.
3. Light exercise without symptoms.
4. Heavy exercise without symptoms.
5. Full practice without symptoms.

You can only complete one step per day, and if symptoms return at any step, you have to start the process over.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:47 PM)wcu Wrote: It's a progression of steps. We have to get certified in concussion protocol as youth football coaches.

You can only complete one step per day, and if symptoms return at any step, you have to start the process over.

Thank you.

That takes step 5, full practice without symptoms, to Thursday (unless step one can be completed last Saturday). I don't think they even have full practice on Thursday this week.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2022, 11:47 PM)wcu Wrote: It's a progression of steps. We have to get certified in concussion protocol as youth football coaches.

and step 6 is being cleared by an independent neurologist

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Appreciate the info. Based on your experiences with concussion protocol(for those who have either gone through it or worked with those who were dealing with it), what do you think Trey's chances are of being cleared to play for Saturday's game?
Reply/Quote
Trey will say and do what he has to. This isn’t week two. It’s the playoffs.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:45 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Appreciate the info.   Based on your experiences with concussion protocol(for those who have either gone through it or worked with those who were dealing with it), what do you think Trey's chances are of being cleared to play for Saturday's game?

Obviously (hopefully?) the NFL has advanced procedures and diagnostics, but as far as individual concussions, it sounds cliche, but they're all different. I've seen kids get them from fairly pedestrian looking hits and kids bounce up from vicious hits to the head. Sometimes, maybe more often than not, they clear protocol as fast as possible without incident. But we had one kid who got concussed on a regular looking hit and he was out about 3 weeks. 

There are neurological signs and symptoms that can't be faked or covered up, which of course is where an independent physician comes into play. There's also no way to hurry the process along other than proper rest. Surely NFL teams have it down to as exact a science as possible. 
Reply/Quote
A couple of years ago (Taylor's first year as coach), left tackle Cordy Glenn wasn't cleared for practice for 8 weeks after getting a concussion in a preseason game.
Reply/Quote
Here's coach Taylor's update today which suggests a similar process and timeline:

"It's really a daily thing," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said on Sunday. "The process will start on Tuesday him (Hendrickson) getting cleared and then he's got to do physical activities and then get back to a contact practice. There is certainly enough time in the week to get that done if he's feeling up to it and can clear day to day."
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: A couple of years ago (Taylor's first year as coach), left tackle Cordy Glenn wasn't cleared for practice for 8 weeks after getting a concussion in a preseason game.

I have my theories about Cordy glenn
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:22 AM)Nepa Wrote: A couple of years ago (Taylor's first year as coach), left tackle Cordy Glenn wasn't cleared for practice for 8 weeks after getting a concussion in a preseason game.

Marvin's last year
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:45 AM)Science Friction Wrote: Appreciate the info. Based on your experiences with concussion protocol(for those who have either gone through it or worked with those who were dealing with it), what do you think Trey's chances are of being cleared to play for Saturday's game?

It varies with every concussion so you can’t predict who will recovery quickly and who will take longer to recover.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:24 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I have my theories about Cordy glenn

Do they include faking loss of balance, nausea, answering questions wrong on purpose and a disgruntled player? Ninja

Cuz, mine do.
Reply/Quote
I hope Trey is in good health for the sake of his own well-being. Obviously, we know the defense is stronger with him on the field: 3 forced fumbles, 14 sacks, 27 QB hits, and 45 QB pressures.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:30 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Marvin's last year

No, Cody Glenn's concussion drama was during Taylor's first year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:23 AM)wcu Wrote: Here's coach Taylor's update today which suggests a similar process and timeline:

"It's really a daily thing," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said on Sunday. "The process will start on Tuesday him (Hendrickson) getting cleared and then he's got to do physical activities and then get back to a contact practice. There is certainly enough time in the week to get that done if he's feeling up to it and can clear day to day."

Based on Taylor's comment and the 5-steps presented above (with step 6 being cleared to return), it would seem that Taylor is optimistic that Hendrickson will be cleared for the first 2 points today and be able to engage in light activities. If so, this would mean the possibility he could clear step 3 today, and, if so, go on to step 4 on Wednesday (heavy activities). If he could be cleared for that on Wednesday, he could be cleared for step 5 on Thursday (full practice).  (Although I don't think the Bengals have a full practice planned for Thursday). 

This would be the most optimistic timetable and mean that we would not know his status until Thursday at the earliest. If he fails any step, then he starts over (from my understanding) and will not be available for the Titans game.
Reply/Quote
Frantically refreshing Twitter.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:24 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: I have my theories about Cordy glenn

That entire situation was bizarre. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Anyone know if Trey has had a concussion before?

That makes a big difference.
Reply/Quote
He may not be back this week, but I think he has a good shot at returning for the AFC Championship game.
Reply/Quote