Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concussion Protocol (and updates, please)
(01-18-2022, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone know if Trey has had a concussion before?

That makes a big difference.

I searched yesterday, wasting too many hours, and I could only find news of a neck injury.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:51 AM)Nepa Wrote: Based on Taylor's comment and the 5-steps presented above (with step 6 being cleared to return), it would seem that Taylor is optimistic that Hendrickson will be cleared for the first 2 points today and be able to engage in light activities. If so, this would mean the possibility he could clear step 3 today, and, if so, go on to step 4 on Wednesday (heavy activities). If he could be cleared for that on Wednesday, he could be cleared for step 5 on Thursday (full practice).  (Although I don't think the Bengals have a full practice planned for Thursday). 

This would be the most optimistic timetable and mean that we would not know his status until Thursday at the earliest. If he fails any step, then he starts over (from my understanding) and will not be available for the Titans game.

If he develops symptoms he doesn’t start over at step 1. He starts over at the last step he completed without symptoms. For example, if he develops symptoms in step 4, he goes back to step 3; not step 1.

He has enough time to clear the protocol if everything goes well.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If he develops symptoms he doesn’t start over at step 1. He starts over at the last step he completed without symptoms. For example, if he develops symptoms in step 4, he goes back to step 3; not step 1.

He has enough time to clear the protocol if everything goes well.

Thank you for the clarification.
Reply/Quote
Just a couple questions here.....What "symptoms" are we talking about here? Bad headaches? Being sick to your stomach? Not being a smarta** here, just don't really know what they are looking for in particular. Question #2....did anyone re-watch the game and see when or what exactly happened to him? I don't remember during the game any mention of it until later. I am hoping it was just a mild knee to the head or something that the booth saw and made him come out. I just don't recall any severe blow or anything, at least nothing that they replayed.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:07 PM)No-huddle Joe Wrote: Just a couple questions here.....What "symptoms" are we talking about here? Bad headaches? Being sick to your stomach? Not being a smarta** here, just don't really know what they are looking for in particular. Question #2....did anyone re-watch the game and see when or what exactly happened to him? I don't remember during the game any mention of it until later. I am hoping it was just a mild knee to the head or something that the booth saw and made him come out. I just don't recall any severe blow or anything, at least nothing that they replayed.

This link has a list.

https://www.nfl.com/playerhealthandsafety/resources/fact-sheets/nfl-head-neck-and-spine-committee-s-concussion-diagnosis-and-management-protocol

I didn’t see a specific hit that caused symptoms. Looked like there was some helmet to helmet contact with the Olinemen while rushing the passer. Any one of those could have done it. Many times it’s not the initial hit, but it’s when they hit the turf and their neck acts as a lever whipping their head into the ground.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:24 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone know if Trey has had a concussion before?

That makes a big difference.

Why would someone knowing if Trey has had a concussion before make a big difference?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would someone knowing if Trey has had a concussion before make a big difference?

It’s my understanding that once you’ve had one, you’re more susceptible to future concussions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Im pretty sure the NFL will allow you to get 3 concussions in a single game before anyone is concerned your brain may be liquified and leak out your ear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06XVAXKhYh0

Poor dude got tuned up in this game.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:29 PM)bjf123 Wrote: It’s my understanding that once you’ve had one, you’re more susceptible to future concussions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repeat concussions may make a player more susceptible to concussions, or result in worse symptoms, or a longer recovery. Emphasis on may. Or they may not. Because every concussion is different.

But, to bfine’s question, think Ben Utrecht. He had at least four documented concussions (which means probably undocumented/unrecognized as well) until the fifth one lead to his retirement. He sustained the last one during training camp with the Bengals and I don’t think he ever played again iirc.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:51 AM)Nepa Wrote:  If so, this would mean the possibility he could clear step 3 today, and, if so, go on to step 4 on Wednesday 

Good news.

Trey has already made a searching and fearless moral inventory of himself and it is only Tuesday.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:10 PM)motoarch Wrote: Im pretty sure the NFL will allow you to get 3 concussions in a single game before anyone is concerned your brain may be liquified and leak out your ear.

The last guy you want hitting your head is James Harrison.  That boy didn't play around.

But what about the Falcons game where Burfict was literally staggering around lost on the field and the refs had to make the Bengals take him out of the game?  Then he RETURNED later in the that same game.  I could not believe that shit.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why would someone knowing if Trey has had a concussion before make a big difference?

So many people still fail to pick up that dry bfine sarcasm. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:10 PM)motoarch Wrote: Im pretty sure the NFL will allow you to get 3 concussions in a single game before anyone is concerned your brain may be liquified and leak out your ear.

Wow. That was two years after the NFL adopted their concussion protocol. They’ve changed the protocol over the years, but that shows how willing teams are to ignore concussion symptoms.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:19 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Wow. That was two years after the NFL adopted their concussion protocol. They’ve changed the protocol over the years, but that shows how willing teams are to ignore concussion symptoms.

sadly far too many do

The Bengals have always ranked positively in NFL injury reporting unlike teams like the Patriot or Steelers that still play loose with those.   

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good news.

Trey has already made a searching and fearless moral inventory of himself and it is only Tuesday.

Pally has an update under a thread he created called Injuries - Divisional Playoff Week. . It is hopeful news on Hendrickson. He is getting through the protocol so far without any complications.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:16 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So many people still fail to pick up that dry bfine sarcasm. 

Yes, just think of the joy they're missing..
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good news.

Yes, taking it one day at a time.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 10:08 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Yes, taking it one day at a time.

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote