Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confederate monuments are ok, but lynching memorial monuments are going too far
(05-02-2018, 04:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I wrote a longer response.  But my iPad died,

The confederacy was a lot more relevant and not everything they did was bad, some here would have you believe the confederacy was as bad as the third Reich.

Probably the same ones who are always down on Hitler for killing Jews and starting a war in which 60 million people died, but never mention the world's first great system of national highways. 

They know who they are.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-02-2018, 05:55 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It was built and is maintained by the Equal Justice Initiative, not public funds.

Well as I said if built and maintained by Private funds then I support 100%. Heck, I'd support 100% if it were purchased and maintained with public funds if it were budgeted and the citizenry agreed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-02-2018, 05:58 PM)Dill Wrote: I think they needed some help.  Couldn't do it on there on.

I agree that whites are too sensitive about remembering our common history.  They need to stop asking like they are persecuted when the past is more accurately memorialized.

Just stop apologizing for things none of us had any control. Also black people need to Stop enslaving themselves with rhetoric. They have control on how people around them treat them. Just as you and I can audit those around us as we see fit.
I've always said, on this board and the previous, that the Confederacy represents traitors to this country. That said, I do not have an issue with historical monuments to its soldiers in places of historical significance in the same way that I don't think a monument to German soldiers in WW2 (note German soldiers, not a Nazi monument) is inappropriate. In the same vein I don't have any issue with a monument to victims of lynching. Preserving history should be the cause of both.
(05-02-2018, 04:21 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I wrote a longer response.  But my iPad died,

The confederacy was a lot more relevant and not everything they did was bad, some here would have you believe the confederacy was as bad as the third Reich.

"I think statues about slavery and lynching make me feel uncomfortable and the Confederacy did many good things while enslaving a race of people. Also, I am not racist at all...I just think white people did everything better and black people can't get over it."

Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-02-2018, 07:57 PM)GMDino Wrote: "I think statues about slavery and lynching make me feel uncomfortable and the Confederacy did many good things while enslaving a race of people. Also, I am not racist at all...I just think white people did everything better and black people can't get over it."

Ninja

Either you free yourself from the mental chains and succeed or you cry about what happened in years past way before you were born and enslave yourself.

I don’t have any sympathy for those who enslave themselves. You either do or you don’t do.
(05-02-2018, 04:11 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Statues in chains are way over the top.  How about a memorial with names of those who endured or something a bit toned down.

Yeah, lets honor a bunch of people "who endured slavery" by listing them by their anglicized name (since that is the best we could do).....

Clapping

(05-02-2018, 11:02 PM)Westwood Bengal Wrote: Yeah, lets honor a bunch of people "who endured slavery" by listing them by their anglicized name (since that is the best we could do).....

Clapping

How about we honor their decendents by now forcing a victim mentality on them today. Since todays people face Nothing compared to the past. The older generation certainly did the heavy lifting, today’s youth need to focus on wealth building.
(05-02-2018, 06:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Heck, I'd support 100% if it were purchased and maintained with public funds if it were budgeted and the citizenry agreed. 

Would you support Jim Crowe laws if "the citizenry agreed"?

Thats the way it worked, you know.
(05-02-2018, 11:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How about we honor their decendents  by now forcing a victim mentality on them today. 

Aren't you afraid that white people will have a victim mentality forced on them today by all the talk about how the founding fathers were victims of "taxation without representation".
(05-03-2018, 08:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Would you support Jim Crowe laws if "the citizenry agreed"?

Thats the way it worked, you know.

You've already stated you would.  I pointed out that opposition to an unjust law is justifiable in the mass shootings thread.  Your response;

(04-12-2018, 01:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The framers of the Constitution designed a system where laws would be created by elected legislators.  They never said anything about individuals being able to decide which laws were "unjust".

And your answer just begs the question "Obvious to who?"  If it is obvious to everyone then it would never become a law in the firstplace.

You're not allowed to decide if a law is unjust in Fredtoast's world, hence you would support Jim Crowe.  Odd, I asked you directly about that in my reply and yet you never responded.  The mind bottles as to why. Hmm
(05-02-2018, 10:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Either you free yourself from the mental chains and succeed or you cry about what happened in years past way before you were born and enslave yourself.  

I don’t have any sympathy for those who enslave themselves.   You either do or you don’t do.

clap

and the only person that can hold someone in mental chains is themselves.
(05-02-2018, 06:00 PM)Dill Wrote: Probably the same ones who are always down on Hitler for killing Jews and starting a war in which 60 million people died, but never mention the world's first great system of national highways. 

They know who they are.

Never would have happened if they didn't rape the country of its money after WWI either.
(05-02-2018, 04:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Are you going to try and bring up the implicit bias stuff?   Even the people run that test do not think it’s accurate.  

Everyone has the same chances in today’s USA.  Some have an easier path due to money but anyone can change their station in life.

Admitting that life isn't fair is so upsetting to some people that they delude themselves into thinking that life is indeed fair and those who are down 'n' out are there due to their own failings.  The ultimate safespace is the one within your skull.
(05-03-2018, 11:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Never would have happened if they didn't rape the country of its money after WWI either.

Liberals didn't want to "rape" Germany after WWI. Hence Wilson's 14 points.  Voted down though.

Conservatives won out in France and GB as well.   Welcome WWII.
(05-03-2018, 11:52 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Never would have happened if they didn't rape the country of its money after WWI either.

Woodrow Wilson not forcing his way into WWI, forcing the Russians to stay instead of crushing the bolsheviks was catastrophic for millions.

Wilson should have all that blood on his record.
(05-03-2018, 12:10 PM)Dill Wrote: Liberals didn't want to "rape" Germany after WWI. Hence Wilson's 14 points.  Voted down though.

Wilson wanted to punish Germany.
Factual discussion...

(05-03-2018, 12:10 PM)Dill Wrote: Liberals didn't want to "rape" Germany after WWI. Hence Wilson's 14 points.  Voted down though.

Opinion...

(05-03-2018, 12:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wilson wanted to punish Germany.

Thus endeth the lesson.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-03-2018, 12:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wilson wanted to punish Germany.

You really don't know anything about Wilson if you think this.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-03-2018, 12:38 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: You really don't know anything about Wilson if you think this.

He forced the Russians to stay in the war to crush Germany, despite the bolesheviks being a serious threat to them. Had wilson stayed out WWI would have ended off fatigue. Both sides would have walked away, kept whatever lands they had at the time. Germany would have not had their wealth stolen. Wilson wanted to further his reputation on the world stage which is why he forced the Russians to stay in with his loan stipulations, and he purposely sent the supplies where he knew there would be German subs.

Because of these choices by wilson the world had to deal with both the Nazi’s and the Communists. Which we still deal with today in Asia. Now we have Europe in their own version of the Soviet Union.