Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Confession of a Dalton Defender
I posted this on Go Bengals.com and thought those of you not on that board might like to read this as well:

Greetings, my fellow Who Dey-vians!

I know most of you don't know me (as I come from the "other" board), but let me preface this post with the fact that I like Dalton. I like him as our QB. And I think he can help us win a Super Bowl. I firmly believe Dalton has the potential to be a very good QB, possibly even elite (for exhibit A, look at October 2013). Yes, I know that currently Dalton is an average QB whose 2 main issues are consistency (sub-issue is that when he's bad, he's BAD) and Prime Time/Playoff performance, but I think he can and will overcome those. Look at last season. In the first 6 games, last season, Dalton was pretty consistent. He wasn't great nor was he bad in all 6 games, but he maintained a level of consistency we haven't seen from him.

Because of my opinion of his potential, I do find myself defending Dalton from the "haters" (not sure what the term is for the Dalton critics on this board) who basically feel that Dalton has already reached his ceiling and thus already claim him to be garbage or a bad QB (even though he's currently an average QB and that's not too bad considering who we've had to watch behind center for our beloved Bengals).

With all of that said, I have a confession to make. In a way, I'm kind of like 90s Mike Brown. 90s Mike Brown was always searching for that ideal, franchise QB. The QB that towered above the offense; that could sling the ball from one end zone to the other while on his knees; the QB that struck fear in defenses; the QB that would win him a Super Bowl. 90s Mike Brown was ALWAYS searching for that QB and I think there's no argument that Dalton is certainly NOT that QB. When Dalton was drafted, like Mike Brown, I wanted Mallet. I came to accept Dalton because I thought he gave us the best chance to win right away, but something inside of me still wanted that gunslinger.

Recently, we've signed Terrell Pryor. And deep inside the recesses of my mind, where my secrets are buried, I find a small shred of a wish (hope?) that Pryor ends up starting for us and turns into an amalgamation of Brett Favre's passing with Mike Vick's running ability.

I truly believe we will win more than 1 playoff game this year (of course, I also thought so this time last year, too LOL) with Dalton playing a major role. But deep down, I'm hoping for something different.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I posted this on Go Bengals.com and thought those of you not on that board might like to read this as well:

I know most of you don't know me (as I come from the "other" board), but let me preface this post with the fact that I like Dalton. I like him as our QB. And I think he can help us win a Super Bowl. I firmly believe Dalton has the potential to be a very good QB, possibly even elite (for exhibit A, look at October 2013). Yes, I know that currently Dalton is an average QB whose 2 main issues are consistency (sub-issue is that when he's bad, he's BAD) and Prime Time/Playoff performance, but I think he can and will overcome those. Look at last season. In the first 6 games, last season, Dalton was pretty consistent. He wasn't great nor was he bad in all 6 games, but he maintained a level of consistency we haven't seen from him.

Because of my opinion of his potential, I do find myself defending Dalton from the "haters" (not sure what the term is for the Dalton critics on this board) who basically feel that Dalton has already reached his ceiling and thus already claim him to be garbage or a bad QB (even though he's currently an average QB and that's not too bad considering who we've had to watch behind center for our beloved Bengals).

With all of that said, I have a confession to make. In a way, I'm kind of like 90s Mike Brown. 90s Mike Brown was always searching for that ideal, franchise QB. The QB that towered above the offense; that could sling the ball from one end zone to the other while on his knees; the QB that struck fear in defenses; the QB that would win him a Super Bowl. 90s Mike Brown was ALWAYS searching for that QB and I think there's no argument that Dalton is certainly NOT that QB. When Dalton was drafted, like Mike Brown, I wanted Mallet. I came to accept Dalton because I thought he gave us the best chance to win right away, but something inside of me still wanted that gunslinger.

Recently, we've signed Terrell Pryor. And deep inside the recesses of my mind, where my secrets are buried, I find a small shred of a wish (hope?) that Pryor ends up starting for us and turns into an amalgamation of Brett Favre's passing with Mike Vick's running ability.

I truly believe we will win more than 1 playoff game this year (of course, I also thought so this time last year, too LOL) with Dalton playing a major role. But deep down, I'm hoping for something different.

So we shouldn't bother attempting to upgrade the QB position because Mike Brown couldn't find a good QB in the 90s. We should be content with average to below average production because at least he keeps us competitive. Sorry I don't buy it. I'm here to win a Super Bowl and when the QB is preventing us from achieving that then I think it's time for a change.

Same thing goes for the coach. They are very similar...decent but not nearly good enough to compete for a Super Bowl. It's time for a change......until then we will suffer in the playoffs as we have in past years. The ole Einstein quote applies perfectly in this case.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:35 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: So we shouldn't bother attempting to upgrade the QB position because Mike Brown couldn't find a good QB in the 90s.

If that's what you took away from my post, then you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension skills. No seriously. They suck if you think that I was making that point in any way, shape, or form.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If that's what you took away from my post, then you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension skills. No seriously. They suck if you think that I was making that point in any way, shape, or form.

He's just misguided.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
25th rated would be "average" if there were around 48-52 starting NFL QBs.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 11:37 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: He's just misguided.

Nope...he's a pessimistic doosh.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If that's what you took away from my post, then you seriously need to work on your reading comprehension skills. No seriously. They suck if you think that I was making that point in any way, shape, or form.

You were insinuating that 90s mike brown never got it right. He was looking for a highly talented QB with all the physical gifts it takes to be a great QB and he failed miserably in finding one. Lo and behold here comes dalton by your own assessment a SB caliber QB that has potentially be be "very good"......that is what I took from your thread.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 11:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: 25th rated would be "average" if there were around 48-52 starting NFL QBs.

Hmm, are we factoring in injuries, backups who play, and/or teams like the Bills and Browns that go into the season with 2/3 potential "starters" as well?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, are we factoring in injuries, backups who play, and/or teams like the Bills and Browns that go into the season with 2/3 potential "starters" as well?

Bottom line he played below average. Whether it was 22 or 25 or 20.

In the playoffs not only has he played below average but he's been one of the worst of all time. You may continue to believe in him but after 4 seasons; I have my doubts.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, are we factoring in injuries, backups who play, and/or teams like the Bills and Browns that go into the season with 2/3 potential "starters" as well?

No, we're just considering QB rating. Not reinventing the wheel.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:18 AM)bfine32 Wrote: No, we're just considering QB rating. Not reinventing the wheel.

I hear ya, I was half being a smart-arse with that reply. Then again, Dalton has played 16 games (er, 15.5 that first year) each season, so at least we get Dalton all year.
Reply/Quote
(05-25-2015, 09:29 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I posted this on Go Bengals.com and thought those of you not on that board might like to read this as well:

Without hopes and dreams we would just be empty vessels. I too obviously hope Andy gets his shit together and takes us to the promise land, but history is not on his or our side at the moment unfortunately.
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:26 AM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Without hopes and dreams we would just be empty vessels. I too obviously hope Andy gets his shit together and takes us to the promise land, but history is not on his or our side at the moment unfortunately.

I suppose that beats hoping some late-round QB is going to become a HOFer and do better, right?
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:28 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I suppose that beats hoping some late-round QB is going to become a HOFer and do better, right?

Why not? Tent Dilfer has a ring.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:31 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Why not?  Tent Dilfer has a ring.

I pointed out before that Trent Dilfer's 4 post-season games to get that ring are better than Dalton's 4 thus far. Bottom line is that Dalton isn't even up to Dilfer standards in the post-season so that argument doesn't hold water, yet.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:26 AM)Steeler Eater Wrote: Without hopes and dreams we would just be empty vessels. I too obviously hope Andy gets his shit together and takes us to the promise land, but history is not on his or our side at the moment unfortunately.

With Dalton and Super Marvio, history will continue to repeat itself as it has for the last 4 years.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Bottom line he played below average. Whether it was 22 or 25 or 20.

In the playoffs not only has he played below average but he's been one of the worst of all time. You may continue to believe in him but after 4 seasons; I have my doubts.

The whole team has played below average in the playoffs...So what is your point?

2011....underdogs at Houston...Houston ran all over our 7th ranked defense
2012...underdogs at Houston...had a chance to win this game...
2013..favs at home against Chargers (who we beat 3 weeks earlier at their place)...entire team crapped down their legs
2014...underdogs at Indy...Great WR corp for this game...

It is like this...Dalton is good enough to win if too much is not placed on his shoulders...He is not going to carry the team and we all know that but he has to have support....not the big eggs that this team lays when the playoff whistle blows...
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 01:18 AM)spazz70 Wrote: The whole team has played below average in the playoffs...So what is your point?

2011....underdogs at Houston...Houston ran all over our 7th ranked defense
2012...underdogs at Houston...had a chance to win this game...
2013..favs at home against Chargers (who we beat 3 weeks earlier at their place)...entire team crapped down their legs
2014...underdogs at Indy...Great WR corp for this game...

It is like this...Dalton is good enough to win if too much is not placed on his shoulders...He is not going to carry the team and we all know that but he has to have support....not the big eggs that this team lays when the playoff whistle blows...

The problem with the "placed on shoulders" argument is we're not talking about a rookie QB here, or a career backup. Dalton has been a starter for four years in the NFL. Shouldn't he be expected to carry the burden as a veteran starter playing the most important position in football? Instead, we talk of marginalizing his influence on the game flow. Why? Because he's never shown he could handle it in the most crucial situations. The problem is those are exactly the types of situations the Bengals will find themselves in if they make the Playoffs or expect to win and advance. Andy has failed miserably every time he gets those chances.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote

I'd rather have Aaron or Richard Pryor...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2015, 12:17 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Bottom line he played below average. Whether it was 22 or 25 or 20.

Good thing it is only his 5th season in the league. Most QBs improve the more they play.
Reply/Quote