Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence compaired to this time last year?
(06-16-2018, 11:16 AM)cooper Wrote: most teams are juts as confident at this time of year and most teams feel the same about changes that have been made..only time will tell

Well, at least it wasn't negative.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 11:16 AM)cooper Wrote: most teams are juts as confident at this time of year and most teams feel the same about changes that have been made..only time will tell

Man, you must be a blast at parties.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 08:02 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: What's your confidence in the team compared to this this time last year? Personally I have a lot more confidence this year. Last year I was worried about Zampese, Alexander, and the OL the most. All of which IMO were greatly upgraded. Lazor is a huge improvement from Zampese, and when Lazor was able to control all aspects of the offense the running game and offense significantly improved. Hell, even the OL improved after that. Alexander is gone and I think we have another huge improvement in Pollack. I think he's the kind of coach that we need right now, and I think that he will be able to make our guys work a lot better than Alexander did. We picked up two key pieces in the OL in Glenn and Price.

I think we're going to have a very solid team this year and other teams are going to have trouble stopping the run and putting points on our defense. I will be surprised if we don't go to the playoffs this year honestly, and I hope to God that we make it over that hump this year.

Night and day. Last year as i have said before was an "if year". If Ogbuehi and Fisher improved we might be decent
and under Piano Man this was unlikely. Zamp never impressed me even as a QB coach let alone as a Playcaller.

Pollack is intense, this is what everyone says about him and even veteran skill players in Gio and Eifert have been
talking about how much of a difference this guy has brought to the team. Hell, from accounts even Og has looked
much better which is damn near a miracle and tells a lot about how good Pollack is and how bad our last OL coach
was and how he held this team back for years.

Adding a proven LT in Cordy Glenn and probably the best Center in the Draft is monumental.

Lazor had to work with a frankenstein Gruden/Hue/Zamp playbook last year and the Offense still improved under
him once he decastrated PA and changed up the blocking scheme. We have the skill players already in place and
now we have a stud Center and a proven LT and young guys with promise in Westerman, Redmond, Fisher, Perkins,
Taylor and heck, maybe even Og. Cannot believe i even said that but you never know.

I know it will take some time for the new coaches and players to gel but once it does i am expecting big things this
year. With a decent Offense that can stay on the field and keep our Defense fresh we will be tough.
Reply/Quote
11-5. One playoff win. The offense will be much better than last year. The running game will look like it did the end of last year. The C position finally fixed. Eifert won't be a huge factor but it won't matter.

The defense will steal the show.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
From a roster perspective, I'm not as confident as I was, heading into the 2015 season. That was a special group, minus the last minute meltdown, who knows how far they could have went? However, I am extremely pleased with the personnel changes, going into this season. They were able to fill two gigantic weaknesses, prior to drafting a single player. That allowed them to fill the next biggest, glaring need in the 1st round, and then just draft smart the rest of the way.

From a coaching staff perspective, I'm very confident that the men brought in will have the players better prepared than their predecessors.

From an organizational perspective, I'm actually smiling about them, for a change. There seems to be a change in attitude, a bit of a change in overall culture, if you would. The roster moves during the FA period were not anything that reminded me of what Mike Brown would have done, perhaps a signal that the baton truly has passed in that department? But, even more than that, I've noticed sports writers even talking about the entire building is now brimming with energy. I'm not sure what happened in the post season meetings between Marvin and Mike, but whatever it was, I'm liking the preliminary results.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-14-2018, 09:25 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I would say this sums up my confidence perfectly.

This , same management. Nothing chainging there. If we make playoffs we will still go out with the play not to lose game aka:safe. Instead of let’s play to win an leave it out on the field.

In Marv we trust because we have too.

One good note on Marv staying. It was real easy to get a parking pass. Been on waiting list 5 years. Had my pick of lots this year.
Reply/Quote
So, basically, if they make the playoffs this year it's an "improvement" over the last 2 years. 'Moving in the right direction', regardless of a playoff win or not. And another reason to extend Marv a couple more years even though the "improvement" really isn't an improvement since that's what they were doing from '11-'15. 

Sorry, i don't see anything to be confident about until they actually win a playoff game. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 10:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, basically, if they make the playoffs this year it's an "improvement" over the last 2 years. 'Moving in the right direction', regardless of a playoff win or not. And another reason to extend Marv a couple more years even though the "improvement" really isn't an improvement since that's what they were doing from '11-'15. 

Sorry, i don't see anything to be confident about until they actually win a playoff game. 

Don't make me whip out the Debbie Downer meme on your ass faulk!   Ninja
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure I can use the word confidence talking about the Mike and Marvin led Bengals, just yet.

I'm hoping all the changes we've seen thus far this off season continue into the preseason and on into the regular season in a positive way. I don't doubt at all the team will be better, offense will be better, and I'd venture to say out win total will go up in the regular season.

But then what ?
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 10:37 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Don't make me whip out the Debbie Downer meme on your ass faulk!   Ninja

Just keepin' it real dawg. Those bastards aren't gonna draw me in again with nothing as collateral!!!  Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Feeling way better this year going in per OL coaching and personnel changes.

Still would have liked to have seen one more OL drafted but will trust Pollack on this for now.

Excited actually to see what we have.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 10:37 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Don't make me whip out the Debbie Downer meme on your ass faulk!   Ninja

[Image: O7sdzo.gif]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 10:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just keepin' it real dawg. Those bastards aren't gonna draw me in again with nothing as collateral!!!  Cool

Just messin' with ya' buddy.   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2018, 10:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Just keepin' it real dawg.

Hey! Let me clear this up for ya.

[Image: rebel-with-his-friend-phantom-the-tiger-21573093.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Last year, my thinking was "If Ogbuehi and Fisher are shit shows, we don't make the playoffs. If they are not, then we likely do."

This year, my thinking is "If Ogbuehi or Fisher at RT is a shit show, we probably don't make the playoffs, though we still might because we improved LT and Center. If they are not, then we almost certainly do."

So I'd say my confidence has increased.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2018, 07:41 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Last year, my thinking was "If Ogbuehi and Fisher are shit shows, we don't make the playoffs. If they are not, then we likely do."

This year, my thinking is "If Ogbuehi or Fisher at RT is a shit show, we probably don't make the playoffs, though we still might because we improved LT and Center. If they are not, then we almost certainly do."

So I'd say my confidence has increased.

No gray area there to be wrong. Hilarious

Reply/Quote
It's hard for me to think realistically about expectations for this team at this time of year. I just am jacked up about football season coming and don't really have a point of reference to measure where I think they might go. I usually have pretty good judgment after week 3 of pre-season. So far - things I like: Drafting of Price, pickup of Glenn and change of offensive line coach. Things I'm concerned about: Eifert (it's time to fish or cut bait), Tez suspensions and quality of LB back ups, and possible improvements of Baltimore and Cleveland (got to win the division before you can worry about a playoff run - or it certainly makes it a heck of a lot easier). So where's my confidence - middle of the road.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2018, 02:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: From a roster perspective, I'm not as confident as I was, heading into the 2015 season.  That was a special group, minus the last minute meltdown, who knows how far they could have went?  However, I am extremely pleased with the personnel changes, going into this season.  They were able to fill two gigantic weaknesses, prior to drafting a single player.  That allowed them to fill the next biggest, glaring need in the 1st round, and then just draft smart the rest of the way.

From a coaching staff perspective, I'm very confident that the men brought in will have the players better prepared than their predecessors.

From an organizational perspective, I'm actually smiling about them, for a change.  There seems to be a change in attitude, a bit of a change in overall culture, if you would.  The roster moves during the FA period were not anything that reminded me of what Mike Brown would have done, perhaps a signal that the baton truly has passed in that department?  But, even more than that, I've noticed sports writers even talking about the entire building is now brimming with energy.  I'm not sure what happened in the post season meetings between Marvin and Mike, but whatever it was, I'm liking the preliminary results.

No doubt that upgrading the roster and coaching has improved our outlook for this season. Anything less would have been a disappointment tbh. Now for the hat trick, we need to see Marvin rolling out with a 'take names and kick butt' attitude that will bury his (well-earned) reputation to date of not quite getting it done. Show me that and I'm liable to forget about the '15 team. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
I have more confidence in this team than last years team. The offensive line makeover was huge, and I have high expectations that their play will be better this year than last year which should result in Dalton being successful and Mixon showcasing his huge talent. I see AJ Green having a better year as well. One area that I question is the receiving corps after Green. Who will step up?

Still, I realize that some of these moves can backfire (Glenn gets hurt, Price is a bust, Lawson/Willis hit sophomore slumps, etc.) but at the very least, I can say that they didn't really stand pat this year and did make some un-Bengal like moves.
Reply/Quote
Just letting PA walk boosted my confidence by 100. After years of watching his passive "finesse" techniques get rag dolled year in and year out, I cant help but be somewhat intrigued by seeing how much better the oline play will be.

I was optimistic last year but had a ton of reservations and they all came to pass. I was definitely impressed by how much better our team played the last few games of the season compared to the first few as that was some of the worst football I have seen in forever.

I think the coaching changes will be the biggest difference and will have us back into the playoffs this year. I feel Austin is a great fit for our defense and will actually scheme to our players strengths and not the opposite. I think we will have one of the fastest and most explosive offenses this year.

It will all come down to Dalton imo as I feel we will finish in the 11-5 range and be back in the playoffs. The playoffs always seen to be QB driven so I guess we will see how it all pans out....but to answer the question....my confidence is up a ton from last year because of personnel and coaching.
Reply/Quote