Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence in Religion at New Low
(06-18-2015, 01:09 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Liar. Your wife told me last night, that you already have a closet full. Along with a bunch of pairs of oversized shades.

How do you wear oversized shades AND dark rimmed glasses at the same time?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-18-2015, 01:12 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqcSQvAWzOt2vDYCV0pOu...VbN6wZd-5d]

Lunch is over. Gotta jet!!
You keep using this meme...when it should be used to describe you.   Tongue
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-18-2015, 12:08 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Confidence in Pat's pole at an all time low.... Ninja

Sorry, you don't make it rise.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-18-2015, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, I always thought people placed more value upon religion as they aged because the looming shadow of death and an eternity of nonexistence was unpleasant.  

For the majority, I would guess that's true, but I don't know it. I'm not omniscient or anything.

Smirk

I'm just saying for me, the more I learn about how the universe works, the more religion makes sense.
(06-18-2015, 12:30 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well, he does have historical fact and precedent on his side.  The more educated society becomes in general and the more science explains that religion previously held purview over the less religious people become.  Hard to argue with the blatant facts of this.  Still, thousands of years of cowering from the gods is hard to break overnight, hence the slow progression.

I guess it would depend on the focus of their education.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-18-2015, 01:25 PM)Benton Wrote: For the majority, I would guess that's true, but I don't know it. I'm not omniscient or anything.

Smirk

I'm just saying for me, the more I learn about how the universe works, the more religion makes sense.

To me it's not that religion makes sense so much as faith in something bigger than use makes sense. But I like to distinguish between faith and religion being internal and external respectively. I just like the lessons of Jesus because, well, they are a good guide to life. Bugger all the rest of it, really. Smirk
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-18-2015, 01:25 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Sorry, you don't make it rise.

Is that what you say to all the girls?
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-18-2015, 01:25 PM)Benton Wrote: For the majority, I would guess that's true, but I don't know it. I'm not omniscient or anything.

Smirk

I suppose it depends on how you view it.  The more we learn about the universe and how it works the more it is clear whomever wrote the Bible didn't actually create everything.  Then again, I'm not saying you are finding your way into a literal belief of Christian doctrine, either.
(06-18-2015, 01:31 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: To me it's not that religion makes sense so much as faith in something bigger than use makes sense. But I like to distinguish between faith and religion being internal and external respectively. I just like the lessons of Jesus because, well, they are a good guide to life. Bugger all the rest of it, really. Smirk

This has always been my assertion: Regardless what anyone else tells you; it comes down to your personal relationship. Folks can argue back and forth all day; but at the end of the day it comes down to you and your relationship/lack there of with your savior.

If folks chose to call that ignorant, bigoted, narrow minded, ect... So be it.

I do agree that the term Religion has taken a hit over the last few years. We were always raised to be more spiritual than religious.  

(06-18-2015, 01:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This has always been my assertion: Regardless what anyone else tells you; it comes down to your personal relationship. Folks can argue back and forth all day; but at the end of the day it comes down to you and your relationship/lack there of with your savior.

If folks chose to call that ignorant, bigoted, narrow minded, ect... So be it.

I do agree that the term Religion has taken a hit over the last few years. We were always raised to be more spiritual than religious.  

Only when someone uses it to force other to behave to THEIR religion.  For example:  Two women can't legally marry in every state.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(06-18-2015, 12:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Most likely too educated to see the conflict in your post.

States that religion makes folks feel superior; yet states it is declining because we are becoming more educated and states once everyone no longer believes in religion the World will be better.

Who is feeling superior (in their mind)?

Is it not true that religion states that man is superior to all the other species? The more educated you become, the more you realize that is not truly the case. Mankind is part of a whole. Mankind's place in that whole is no more important than any other species. We see this as we become educated and learn about the interconnectedness of life. Sorry that escaped you.
(06-18-2015, 01:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, I always thought people placed more value upon religion as they aged because the looming shadow of death and an eternity of nonexistence was unpleasant.  

Preach brother.
(06-18-2015, 01:04 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: That will be the day I buy my first pair of skinny jeans, and a trucker hat.

You don't have them already?  Old...... Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

(06-18-2015, 01:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I suppose it depends on how you view it.  The more we learn about the universe and how it works the more it is clear whomever wrote the Bible didn't actually create everything.  Then again, I'm not saying you are finding your way into a literal belief of Christian doctrine, either.

No kidding.....it was written ABOUT the creator.......come on man!!!!! Tongue

"Better send those refunds..."

(06-18-2015, 01:31 PM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: Is that what you say to all the girls?

The girls at Larry Flynt's were polling quite high last Friday.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(06-18-2015, 02:23 PM)Beaker Wrote: Is it not true that religion states that man is superior to all the other species? The more educated you become, the more you realize that is not truly the case.

Science tells me I am at the top of the food chain.

If you say so.

(06-18-2015, 05:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Science tells me I am at the top of the food chain.

If you say so.
Science actually tells us we are part of a food web. But way to skirt the question.
(06-18-2015, 05:35 PM)Beaker Wrote: Science actually tells us we are part of a food web. But way to skirt the question.

Oh, you were serious.

Yes, the Bible states that man has domain over all other creatures; however, in your OP you stated it made them feel superior over "other" humans.

Bible or not I still think man is the most superior creature on the face of the earth. I may have learned some of that in Science class.

(06-18-2015, 01:10 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Indeed.  They are predestined.

Prophecy? Yes, it's predestined. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(06-18-2015, 01:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: How do you wear oversized shades AND dark rimmed glasses at the same time?

Very.Carefully.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."