Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congrats Tomlin
(01-11-2022, 12:22 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I'm just here to see the battle between Kev and BY. Popcorn  

We need to get Kev back on this....it would be epic.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 05:14 PM)Wyche Wrote: We need to get Kev back on this....it would be epic.

It's weird. I've never thought of Kev as a guy that would run away from a fight...but he's nowhere to be seen right now. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 06:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's weird. I've never thought of Kev as a guy that would run away from a fight...but he's nowhere to be seen right now. 

Yeah man, Kev ain't scared....he just rarely ventures out of JN. 

Reply/Quote
did he win the game where he tried to trip player
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 10:44 AM)GMDino Wrote: lol...0-2.

I've watched Steelers football my entire life.  I supported Tomlin through all the "Rooney Rule" arguments and racism.  But in the end if he had be as good a coach as the Yinzers think this team wouldn't have floundered like they did in the playoffs and would have a couple more Super Bowl wins.

He has the same amount of NFL Championships as Cowhers, Madden and the KC, TB, NO and other coach's have.   
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: I'm not saying it's "easy" I'm saying they would have done better.

And you bring up the reason why:  Tomlin has his faults...and they are the same he's had for years.

He's bad at clock management, making challenges, the teams start out slow more often than not, he makes poor choices at the coordinator positions, he claims to "not live in his fears" and then coaches from his fears, he's one of the few coaches that still doesn't have someone helping him with situational calls because he likes to "coach from his gut", the list goes on and on.  And without Ben bailing the team out time after time there wouldn't be this silly talk about "non-losing seasons".

Would Detroit or Cleveland or a dozen other teams LOVE to not have a losing season for a decade?  Sure.  Would they still be without a Super Bowl (and with 3 playoff wins) and happy about it after a decade?  Probably not.

I'm not in the "fire" camp...I'm in the realistically looking at it camp.  He has his faults and they never get better.  Win or lose he's the same coach.  He seems to get credit for the wins and excuses made for the losses simply because they win more than they lose....and I don't think those results are because he's a great coach.

This is not within the Smack Talk protocols, but I like you GMDino. But I would comment Mike Tomlin should retire after they get beat by KC the next day. You guys don't deserve Mike Tomlin. If you don't enjoy the fact that you have been in contention for the playoffs every December for 15 years then screw you guys. Tomlin should leave you immediately. You guys don't deserve Tomlin and if I was him I would resign right before the Pitt vs KC game. F' the Steelers.  
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2022, 06:13 AM)BengalYankee Wrote: This is not within the Smack Talk protocols, but I like you GMDino. But I would comment Mike Tomlin should retire after they get beat by KC the next day. You guys don't deserve Mike Tomlin. If you don't enjoy the fact that you have been in contention for the playoffs every December for 15 years then screw you guys. Tomlin should leave you immediately. You guys don't deserve Tomlin and if I was him I would resign right before the Pitt vs KC game. F' the Steelers.  

Different expectations.

If they WON in the playoffs (or were competitive the last couple years) you'd have a point.

With the talent on the Steelers we do kind of expect to make the playoffs or have a chance to.  But then to see the failure IN the playoffs makes it less newsworthy.

I was opining last night about how everyone says what an amazing job Tomlin did this season when the defense was so bad (obviously not his fault, right?) and the offense was anemic (obviously not his fault, right?) and how LV lost their coach and still made the playoffs.  And they were competitive in that game they lost last night.

Next season, without Ben, will be one of the few very challenging seasons Tomlin has had when he couldn't just rely on his stars to make plays.

So we'll see.

We said the same about Cowher until he won the Super Bowl. Good but not great.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 03:47 PM)GMDino Wrote: We'll never know.  

It's like when someone asks who do you replace him with if he retires or (not even going to happen) gets fired:  I have no idea.

But I didn't know who Tomlin was when they hired him either.  Or Cowher.

But I could reverse the question and ask how many other currently active coaches had a QB like Ben for their entire coaching careers? Or had Troy and Harrison and Keisel and Smith all on defense?  Or had Dick LeBeau? 

Tomlin walked into a stable franchise on the rise again with a cache of experienced coaches around him.  As they left (or got retired) the success of the team beyond "non-losing seasons" dropped off.  Add in the quality of the players being brought in/drafted also wasn't as good...and Tomlin had say in that too...and you get a team that does well in the preseason (where most of the time they get 3-4 wins from Cleveland and Cincinnati every season...lol) but gets out matched/out coached in the playoffs.

Of course there are all kinds of excuses/circumstances like injuries and bad calls or whatever but if Tomlin gets credit for "great coaching" when they win they we have to also examine what he's doing when they lose.

Just my humble opinion.

Bad calls, lol.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2022, 09:11 AM)SladeX Wrote: Bad calls, lol.

Only referring to the GB game where a bad offsides on a blocked kick returned for a TD caused a 10 point swing.

But I get that so many of you feel there is this vast conspiracy to help the Steelers via the refs vs the fact that officials are awful.

Oh, and the whistle blew before the TD catch.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
Tomlin had a dynamic offense with Ben, Brown, Bell, Bryant, etc. He underperformed with his best rosters so badly it's criminal.

Dude is complete ass.
Reply/Quote
Not to defend Tomlin, but I think it's appropriate to consider that his career (and Ben's as well) not only was simultaneous with the careers of Tony Dungy/Peyton Manning and BB/TB, but they also played in the same conference. That's a tough nut to crack. With Manning and Brady, there's essentially only one qb spot in the AFC each year.

Had Pittsburgh been in the NFC, I think BB gets a lot more Pro Bowls and the Steelers make at least a couple more Super Bowls.
Reply/Quote
(01-21-2022, 04:45 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: Not to defend Tomlin, but I think it's appropriate to consider that his career (and Ben's as well) not only was simultaneous with the careers of Tony Dungy/Peyton Manning and BB/TB, but they also played in the same conference. That's a tough nut to crack. With Manning and Brady, there's essentially only one qb spot in the AFC each year.

Had Pittsburgh been in the NFC, I think BB gets a lot more Pro Bowls and the Steelers make at least a couple more Super Bowls.

You beat me with your response.

The Steeler's did not have it easy with the Patriots in the same conference. 

How many NFL Championships did Miami have with the Killer B's in the 80's? Or with Marino in the 80's-90's??
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2022, 01:23 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: The only coach in NFL history to start 15 years in a row without a losing record.

[Image: FIO4b_FWQAInEEn?format=jpg&name=medium]

The only coach in NFL history to start 15 16 years in a row without a losing record.

Enjoy your non-playoff year vacation ...

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRwIsy3uAjW3ouX6VmIpRv...g&usqp=CAU] 

Wink
Reply/Quote
Still, eff that guy.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2022, 11:49 AM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: I think anyone who makes this assumption vastly underestimates how hard it is to win a Super Bowl.  

In the 21st century, only two coaches have won more than one Super Bowl - Tom Coughlin and Bill Belichick.  Andy Reid and Pete Caroll are the only other coaches who (like Tomlin) have even been to the big game more than once in the 2000s.   

There have been 13 coaches in league history who have won more SBs than Tomlin, but by my count, only four of them accomplished the feat in the era of free agency and salary caps.  Winning multiple championships became much harder after those things were established.  

As Steeler fans who remember Chuck Noll and modern fans who have watched Bill Belichick, we are lulled into the fallacy of thinking that winning multiple Super Bowls is a realistic goal.  But in reality, it's a very rare feat, made even more rare over the last few decades.  Belichick's success is way more of an outlier than most give him credit for.  

I'm not saying that Tomlin is without his faults.  Far from it.  But if you're going to say that a better coach would have won more Super Bowls than he has, I'd argue that history suggests there aren't too many of those guys out there.  

You're way off on the number of HC's who have made the SB multiple times in the 2000's.  I can think of Arians, McVay, and John Fox off the top of my head.
Reply/Quote
This past week pretty much sums up all anybody needs to know about Tomlin. He has a mid-week press conference where he talks about knowing Damar Hamlin because he grew up in the Pittsburgh area and says "This is personal for me.". Then on Sunday, his players are giving each mock CPR in celebration.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:06 PM)Whatever Wrote: This past week pretty much sums up all anybody needs to know about Tomlin.  He has a mid-week press conference where he talks about knowing Damar Hamlin because he grew up in the Pittsburgh area and says "This is personal for me.". Then on Sunday, his players are giving each mock CPR in celebration.

You can't blame Tomlin for players' CPR celebration.

Likewise, you can't blame the Packer coach because of this idiot...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[Image: AA15Wfue.img?w=768&h=753&m=6]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:19 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: You can't blame Tomlin for players' CPR celebration.

Likewise, you can't blame the Packer coach because of this idiot...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[Image: AA15Wfue.img?w=768&h=753&m=6]

Sure you can. It's not a one off instance.  Tomlin has fostered a culture of cheap shots and disrespectful behavior among his players and coaches for years.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2023, 04:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sure you can. It's not a one off instance.  Tomlin has fostered a culture of cheap shots and disrespectful behavior among his players and coaches for years.  

[Image: 81pE-I66JOL._AC_UL900_SR615,900_.jpg][Image: 51HfvQ+tYiL._AC_SY780_.jpg]  [Image: AP21363019409752-scaled.jpg]
Reply/Quote
As for as the Steelers and their fans, Back to Smack....

[Image: Fl-qdL0XwAMkPNP?format=jpg&name=large]
Reply/Quote