Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Congrats to Jake Elliott
(01-22-2018, 07:31 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Well, he's 6 for 12 career in 50+ yard field goals and has only attempted 2 in the last 3 years.

That tells me that when his team is in a 50+ field goal situation, they normally just punt it, as they don't believe he has the leg to consistently hit those kicks.

Maybe he has been on teams that just, for whatever reason, never ended a drive between the 33 and the 43 yard line.

But that seems kind of unlikely.

Well you have to consider that he missed 17 games in those 3 seasons while waiting for teams to give him a call. He also played on some terrible offenses in that span, including the Texans, Jets and Bengals. He only attempted 52 FGs from any distance, with 2 coming from long range.

You also have to consider more than half of that time came playing for conserva-Marv, who would often prefer to play field position over a long FG attempt. 

The only real evidence we have is the kick he attempted, and he totally drilled it. I get it though, people hate the kicker for some reason, despite the fact that he's been lights out as a Bengal. Let's face it, people aren't giving this dude a fair shake at all. Ripping him over his belly and made up stuff. It's silly. 

This fan base has to be the most fickle in the NFL. Sometimes I think our fans take their frustrations with the franchise out on certain players, no matter how good they turn out to be. We really seem to hate a ton of great players.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 02:30 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well you have to consider that he missed 17 games in those 3 seasons while waiting for teams to give him a call. He also played on some terrible offenses in that span, including the Texans, Jets and Bengals. He only attempted 52 FGs from any distance, with 2 coming from long range.

You also have to consider more than half of that time came playing for conserva-Marv, who would often prefer to play field position over a long FG attempt. 

The only real evidence we have is the kick he attempted, and he totally drilled it. I get it though, people hate the kicker for some reason, despite the fact that he's been lights out as a Bengal. Let's face it, people aren't giving this dude a fair shake at all. Ripping him over his belly and made up stuff. It's silly. 

This fan base has to be the most fickle in the NFL. Sometimes I think our fans take their frustrations with the franchise out on certain players, no matter how good they turn out to be. We really seem to hate a ton of great players.

Wait, Fat Randy isn't a term of endearment? LOL It sounds like something you'd call you're buddy who's not insecure about the fact that he needs to hit the gym sooner rather than later.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
never draft a kicker, thank you.
Reply/Quote
Fat Randy did well this year, even if he didn't have 90 million attempts.

But, if we can still find a good kicker in the draft (Carlson) or someone around the league that will become available (If the Bengals got Giorgio Tavecchio, even for just the PS, I'm buying an on-field jersey of his, I swear to God), I would say go for it, as Randy has been solid, but unspectacular; unless you have a kicker that has some sort of superb trait (long range, super accurate, both), you should ALWAYS be looking to upgrade at that spot.

He still has the ugliest kicks of life and I believe he had 2 (or 3?) kicks go out of bounds, on KOs.

Nuge' I think had 2 his entire career with the Bengals.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 07:39 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Now we’re congratulating players who never even played a single meaningful down for the Bengals?

May as well, it's all we have......we're like pageant moms.....living vicariously through others' achievements....but hey, we still got Merv, amirite?  Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Bengal fans on draft day.

"Jake Elliott? What a piece of trash. Bengals are so stupid to draft this guy when Zane Gonzales was still available. Wasted draft pick on a total loser."

Elliot gets released by Bengals and makes playoffs with another team.

"Oooh I love Jake Elliot so much. Bengals were so stupid to ever release this guy. Just look how good he is.""
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2018, 02:42 AM)treee Wrote: Wait, Fat Randy isn't a term of endearment? LOL It sounds like something you'd call you're buddy who's not insecure about the fact that he needs to hit the gym sooner rather than later.

I guess it could be for some, but many of the people I see bringing up his weight are Elliott fans.

(01-23-2018, 11:43 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Bengal fans on draft day.

"Jake Elliott?  What a piece of trash.  Bengals are so stupid to draft this guy when Zane Gonzales was still available.  Wasted draft pick on a total loser."

Elliot gets released by Bengals and makes playoffs with another team.

"Oooh I love Jake Elliot so much.  Bengals were so stupid to ever release this guy. Just look how good he is.""

I keep seeing this narrative getting pushed and I don't think it's accurate at all. 

1. I don't think the people who wanted Zane Gonzalez are the same exact people who wanted to keep Elliott.
2. Those who are whining about Elliott now were whining about it as soon as we made the choice to keep Bullock. They didn't suddenly appear during the playoffs.

It's not as simple as "haters gonna hate". Some people legitimately liked Gonzalez more (because he had more draft hype), while Elliott fans (IMO) just got caught up on him being a Bengals draft pick. They feel like we wasted a pick, even though we had a good competition from it. They also feel like Elliott is the next Justin Tucker (he's not) and he could've been a bad ass kicker for 15 years for us. 

Ultimately, I feel both these sets of people are/were mistaken, but I get where they were coming from. Bullock hitting 90% of his FG's this year and drilling his only 50+ yard attempt should've put a lot of this talk to bed, but here we are. Bullock is a young kicker who is doing a great job, won his competition and we should leave it at that.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2018, 03:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell he didn't even miss an XP in the game; quite rare for him.

Let's not forget a very early 60 yard FG he made that started the Eagles off on a winning season.  

Just like when Del Rio went for a two-point conversion a year ago against the Saints and got it.  The Raiders took off after that.  

I wish my team played with balls.  
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Let's not forget a very early 60 yard FG he made that started the Eagles off on a winning season.  

Just like when Del Rio went for a two-point conversion a year ago against the Saints and got it.  The Raiders took off after that.  

I wish my team played with balls.  

I believe most sports teams outside of Hockey play with balls.
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2018, 11:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I wish my team played with balls.  

They do, with their own in the second half.  Merv too.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
Elliott may be worth a gimmick bet in SB.

He definitely has the leg to beat the all time record for longest which I believe is 54 yards.

He may miss an XP or two but turn around and nail a 60 yard FG.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Here we go again with players that were or could have been Bengals are in the Super Bowl. He could win a championship with the Eagles so being cut by the Bengals worked out well for him. We are getting a reputation like Cleveland as the elephant graveyard for NFL players.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote