Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Congratulation Bates
Jessie Bates made All-Pro 2nd team. Congratulations to him, much deserved. Likely could have made first team, if our team didn't suck, but anyways, congrats to him.
Reply/Quote
Well deserved .. turning into a solid pick in 2018...too bad Price did not work out.. we would have scored well with first 3 picks...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:57 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Well deserved .. turning into a solid pick in 2018...too bad Price did not work out.. we would have scored well with first 3 picks...

New OL Coach could MAYBE fix Price, since we're likely stuck with him until Hopkins recovers.  We'll call it his LAST last chance  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
One of the very few bright spots on a bad defense.
Hope the Bengals keep him beyond his rookie deal.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:07 PM)ochocincos Wrote: One of the very few bright spots on a bad defense.
Hope the Bengals keep him beyond his rookie deal.

There's no way we let him walk.  Dude's heart and soul of the secondary IMO.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:04 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: New OL Coach could MAYBE fix Price, since we're likely stuck with him until Hopkins recovers.  We'll call it his LAST last chance  Hilarious

Price is pretty lucky because there's no cap savings unless he's traded. On the flip side, BJ Finney is going to be about the same cap hit but no dead money if team chooses to cut him.
Given Hopkins's recovery, I think the Bengals could choose to keep both Price and Finney until Hopkins is back, and then cut Finney at that point.
The Bengals might also choose to draft a C, although I'd assume it'd be a Day 3 pick given their needs at other positions.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:16 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: There's no way we let him walk.  Dude's heart and soul of the secondary IMO.

It depends how much of an impact he makes TBH, as the top 11 safeties in the league all make $10+ mill APY.
3 more make $9+ mill.
The Bengals have not traditionally paid big money to a safety, which is my only concern about him not being kept.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:44 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Jessie Bates made All-Pro 2nd team. Congratulations to him, much deserved. Likely could have made first team, if our team didn't suck, but anyways, congrats to him.

2nd my ass. 

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a joke of a selection (pittsburgh *spit*) and the honey badger isn't more deserving. 

Harrison Smith and Chuck Clark are more deserving than them and Bates should be first team. Budda Baker was a good choice.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It depends how much of an impact he makes TBH, as the top 11 safeties in the league all make $10+ mill APY.
3 more make $9+ mill.
The Bengals have not traditionally paid big money to a safety, which is my only concern about him not being kept.

That's true.  They paid Bell pretty well, though.  I'm guessing ZT sees things differently as far as what to contribute to what position.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:24 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: That's true.  They paid Bell pretty well, though.  I'm guessing ZT sees things differently as far as what to contribute to what position.

His APY is only $6 mill. That's pretty low.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 03:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Price is pretty lucky because there's no cap savings unless he's traded. On the flip side, BJ Finney is going to be about the same cap hit but no dead money if team chooses to cut him.
Given Hopkins's recovery, I think the Bengals could choose to keep both Price and Finney until Hopkins is back, and then cut Finney at that point.
The Bengals might also choose to draft a C, although I'd assume it'd be a Day 3 pick given their needs at other positions.

Rather than keep both Price and Finney until Hopkins is back....

Price: $3.7m 2021 cap hit, $2.1m cap savings if cut
Finney: $3.5m 2021 cap hit, $3.5m cap savings if cut
Hopkins: $6.6m 2021 cap hit, $4.3m cap savings if cut

Why pay 2 bad players and 1 medicore-at-best player $13.8m to play 1 position when you can instead save $9.9m by cutting them and then just pay that (plus a small amount more) to 1 REALLY good player to play that position?

Top-5 C money is only $11-12m/yr, so that $9.9m cap savings almost covers the entire cost of a Top-5 C contract.

Cut all three, throw $12m/yr at Corey Linsley, and be much much better off for only $2.1m more.

(01-08-2021, 03:19 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: 2nd my ass. 

Minkah Fitzpatrick is a joke of a selection (pittsburgh *spit*) and the honey badger isn't more deserving. 

Harrison Smith and Chuck Clark are more deserving than them and Bates should be first team. Budda Baker was a good choice.

Fitzpatrick and Mathieu have the benefit of both being on playoff teams and both on Top-10 defenses. It helps, even though it probably shouldn't for this award.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Forgot to say, congrats to Bates. It was nice to see him transform into a great player for the Bengals. Always good to have a bright spot to enjoy. Here's to hoping they sign him next offseason to a long term contract so he can be in stripes for awhile.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Bates had a great year.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rather than keep both Price and Finney until Hopkins is back....

Price: $3.7m 2021 cap hit, $2.1m cap savings if cut
Finney: $3.5m 2021 cap hit, $3.5m cap savings if cut
Hopkins: $6.6m 2021 cap hit, $4.3m cap savings if cut

Why pay 2 bad players and 1 medicore-at-best player $13.8m to play 1 position when you can instead save $9.9m by cutting them and then just pay that (plus a small amount more) to 1 REALLY good player to play that position?

Top-5 C money is only $11-12m/yr, so that $9.9m cap savings almost covers the entire cost of a Top-5 C contract.

Cut all three, throw $12m/yr at Corey Linsley, and be much much better off for only $2.1m more.

Fitzpatrick and Mathieu have the benefit of both being on playoff teams and both on Top-10 defenses. It helps, even though it probably shouldn't for this award.

There's some discrepancy about whether Price would save any cap if cut. OverTheCap says his whole $3.7 mill contract is treated as dead cap if cut.
https://overthecap.com/player/billy-price/6906/

As for Finney, we don't know he's bad. He just never got a chance to play as a Bengal yet. But he's been a consistently good pass blocker when he was in SEA. 

I don't see any way the Bengals would consider removing all of Hopkins, Price, and Finney. They'd have to draft another C to back up Linsley or move someone like Michael Jordan to be his backup.

I'd be happy if the Bengals went after Linsley, but 1) we don't even know if he's going to make it to FA (GB could extend or franchise him), 2) I can't imagine Bengals are high on his destination list, and 3) Bengals haven't traditionally paid $10+ mill for any IOL.

My expectation: Bengals keep Hopkins and either Price or Finney through this year as they look to solidify the other OL spots.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 04:44 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Fitzpatrick and Mathieu have the benefit of both being on playoff teams and both on Top-10 defenses. It helps, even though it probably shouldn't for this award.
Oh, i know. It's just BS.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:00 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's some discrepancy about whether Price would save any cap if cut. OverTheCap says his whole $3.7 mill contract is treated as dead cap if cut.
https://overthecap.com/player/billy-price/6906/

As for Finney, we don't know he's bad. He just never got a chance to play as a Bengal yet. But he's been a consistently good pass blocker when he was in SEA. 

I don't see any way the Bengals would consider removing all of Hopkins, Price, and Finney. They'd have to draft another C to back up Linsley or move someone like Michael Jordan to be his backup.

I'd be happy if the Bengals went after Linsley, but 1) we don't even know if he's going to make it to FA (GB could extend or franchise him), 2) I can't imagine Bengals are high on his destination list, and 3) Bengals haven't traditionally paid $10+ mill for any IOL.

My expectation: Bengals keep Hopkins and either Price or Finney through this year as they look to solidify the other OL spots.

Yeah, I was using Spotrac's numbers for Price.

- - - - -

As for Finney being a consistently good pass blocker when he was in SEA, how do you mean? He played 0 snaps on offense in his half year as a Seahawk. They have him as having played only 29 snaps for Seattle, all of them on special teams, and then they used him as a salary dump.

Before that he was a backup for Pittsburgh, and I don't trust Pittsburgh OL numbers as far as I can throw their 330lb players what with all the constant holding they get away with.

- - - - - -

As for Linsley making it to FA, I am all but positive that he will, because I don't think the Packers even have the ability to franchise tag him right now. The Packers are currently slated to have -$22.5m in cap space for 2021 with only 41 people under contract.

That's what happens when the cap is projected to drop to $175m, and Aaron Rodgers has a 2021 cap hit of $36.4m alone and their two OLBs and LT combine for another $57.8m in cap hits... and none can be cut because they are all three at the start of their contracts so cutting would just increase their cap hit for 2021 by a ton.

The Packers aren't going to be doing much of anything this offseason as far as signing guys for more than league minimum goes.

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:15 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, I was using Spotrac's numbers for Price.

- - - - -

As for Finney being a consistently good pass blocker when he was in SEA, how do you mean? He played 0 snaps on offense in his half year as a Seahawk. They have him as having played only 29 snaps for Seattle, all of them on special teams, and then they used him as a salary dump.

Before that he was a backup for Pittsburgh, and I don't trust Pittsburgh OL numbers as far as I can throw their 330lb players what with all the constant holding they get away with.

- - - - - -

As for Finney making it to FA, I am all but positive that he will, because I don't think the Packers even have the ability to franchise tag him right now. The Packers are currently slated to have -$22.5m in cap space for 2021 with only 41 people under contract.

That's what happens when the cap is projected to drop to $175m, and Aaron Rodgers has a 2021 cap hit of $36.4m alone and their two OLBs and LT combine for another $57.8m in cap hits... and none can be cut because they are all three at the start of their contracts so cutting would just increase their cap hit for 2021 by a ton.

The Packers aren't going to be doing much of anything this offseason as far as signing guys for more than league minimum goes.

Sorry, I assumed he was a Seahawk his entire career prior to coming to CIN. Apparently he was with PIT. So his experience was when he was a Steeler.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 05:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sorry, I assumed he was a Seahawk his entire career prior to coming to CIN. Apparently he was with PIT. So his experience was when he was a Steeler.

All the more reason to get rid of him.   Ninja

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2021, 02:44 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: Jessie Bates made All-Pro 2nd team. Congratulations to him, much deserved. Likely could have made first team, if our team didn't suck, but anyways, congrats to him.

Congrats to Jessie. Turning into great player. Just needs to wrap up a little better and he could be the best Safety in the NFL.

Not joking with his abilities.
Reply/Quote
Congratulations to Jesse Bates! Been a minute, since the Bengals had a player on the All-Pro team.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
At least we didn’t have to trade away a 1st round pick to get our All Pro Safety... :D

Reply/Quote