Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connor Barwin visiting
(03-13-2017, 06:30 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: Sick

A DE who has been on the decline for the last 3 season being cut by his team, Sound like classic MB bargain basement hunting to appease fans who have lost 2 pro bowl calibre players.

It's also possible that this is yet another Mike Brown tire kicking session. In the past, I'd say 90% of our visits ended with no contract. It always felt almost like Mike was trolling the fan base or trying to get our hopes up.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Bring back the D-line rotation for 2017!
Reply/Quote
It would be nice to have Barwin, but the Bengals say they are down to $2-3m left in cap space. We know they're interested in Andre Smith as well. $2-3m is not enough to sign both. Yes, there is potential they may spend more, but why dip into that other $20m if you don't have to, right?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:48 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: It would be nice to have Barwin, but the Bengals say they are down to $2-3m left in cap space. We know they're interested in Andre Smith as well. $2-3m is not enough to sign both. Yes, there is potential they may spend more, but why dip into that other $20m if you don't have to, right?

Maybe they have plans to cut Adam Jones in the future? Nothings stopping them from spending that money if they know a chunk of it is gonna be available at a later date I assume.
Reply/Quote
I would really like this signing. Rotational pass rusher is where the Bengals have an immediate need and I think Barwin's career is at a point where he could KILL this role next to Atkins and whatever fatty they trot out there with him.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:55 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Maybe they have plans to cut Adam Jones in the future? Nothings stopping them from spending that money if they know a chunk of it is gonna be available at a later date I assume.

I would love to see them cut Pacman. I just don't think it's going to happen. Brown is waiting for him to be suspended by the league so he can save money by not paying him.
Reply/Quote
If he don't sign I'm going to be pissed, he'd be good in rotation, and the top ends they are looking at are more defensive tackle that possibly could swing outside if you really wanted them too. But who knows if that would really work. I'd rather have barwin in the mix. In Houston he had a better supporting cast then in philly and produced a lot more.
Reply/Quote
I would pass on Barwin.
There's still money players out there that we can get that would give us more bang for the buck.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:48 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: It would be nice to have Barwin, but the Bengals say they are down to $2-3m left in cap space. We know they're interested in Andre Smith as well. $2-3m is not enough to sign both. Yes, there is potential they may spend more, but why dip into that other $20m if you don't have to, right?

I hope you are being funny. Bengals are sitting around $37 mil in money available for the 2017 season.
They didn't sign anyone that would eat up that money like they had planned.
Reply/Quote
Barwin still has a lot left in the tank
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
I question the fit. Only good years came in 3-4 D.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 10:24 AM)Bengalboy Wrote: So because we make one bad decision on a guy or one guy doesn't work out we make another and hope?

Not sure what you mean by that. When has this team ever made the right decisions. I don't see how bringing a guy in who is playing better and out performing our starter is a mistake. Not bringing guys in to compete would be a mistake. Im just as frustrated as anyone else when it comes to this team and FA. I know Barwin is no C.Cambell but you have to keep adding competition.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 02:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I hope you are being funny. Bengals are sitting around $37 mil in money available for the 2017 season.
They didn't sign anyone that would eat up that money like they had planned.

lol the sad thing is he's not. It's already been reported after our signings that the team only had 2-3 mil to work with and not to expect anymore "big" signings.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:57 AM)samhain Wrote: It would be interesting to see how the roster would take shape if he was signed.  Logistics make me believe that this is an unlikely signing barring some cuts.  For one, it's been said by the team that they'll likely take 2 DEs in the first four rounds.  With a Barwin addition, that gives them 6, which ain't happening going into the year (Dunlap, MJ, Barwin, Clarke, and 2 rookies).  This could change, of course, and cuts could be made.  

I don't see them giving MJ the axe, but it's possible I guess.  No way Clarke goes before his rookie deal is done.  I'd say no way Dunlap goes, but I also think that this front office is insane and does maddening shit, so you never know.  We think of payroll slashing and look at MJ, Jones, and Maualuga.  Who the hell know what the FO thinks?  

They could put him at SLB as they did with Lawson and Harrison, which I think would be a mistake.  They could also just not draft 2 DEs which would be fine, I guess.  

Best case scenario, I suppose, would be singing him, opening up round 1 of the draft to a non-DE.  They could use the pick on a linebacker, receiver, o-lineman, whatever and still get a decent young end in 2 or 3.  You carry Dunlap, MJ, Barwin, Clarke and a rookie into the season and use Clarke as your Gilberry clone who rotates inside on passing downs.  That's a pretty good group of DEs if you ask me, particularly if you're getting a guy like Smoot, Harris, Phillips, or Walker in the 3rd where one is likely to fall to.
The best DE picks won't be there at #9 so Barwin may be a good temp fix. Besides a good/fresh legs rotation is the best way to keep the pressure on the QB.

BTW, I hope the FO is working on getting a deal with Dunlap before he becomes a FA -- Unlike Whittworth and Zeigler.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 03:09 PM)TKUHL Wrote: lol the sad thing is he's not. It's already been reported after our signings that the team only had 2-3 mil to work with and not to expect anymore "big" signings.

Lol so like 20+ million for rookies and injury insurance. This amount is ridiculous unless they plan on extending some guys like Eifert and Burfict
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 03:46 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Lol so like 20+ million for rookies and injury insurance. This amount is ridiculous unless they plan on extending some guys like Eifert and Burfict

I'm just passing along what I heard. It's posted everywhere on here. I'm not sure how much they have put aside for this or that. All I know is that according to Hobspin (I'm guessing) is that we only have 2-3 mil to spend in FA. I'm not sure how that's all they have but that's what their saying.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 04:21 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I'm just passing along what I heard. It's posted everywhere on here. I'm not sure how much they have put aside for this or that. All I know is that according to Hobspin (I'm guessing) is that we only have 2-3 mil to spend in FA. I'm not sure how that's all they have but that's what their saying.

If Barwin signs here, cuts will come shortly after.  Maualuga sooner and probably Jones if a suspension is handed down.  
Reply/Quote
I thought we were "out of cap room". Where did Hobson/Mike Brown find the newly discovered cap room they could have spent to resign Zietler and Whit? So there is no money to resign our own, but money to bring in a hometown FA like Barwin?
I am confused.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 04:21 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I'm just passing along what I heard. It's posted everywhere on here. I'm not sure how much they have put aside for this or that. All I know is that according to Hobspin (I'm guessing) is that we only have 2-3 mil to spend in FA. I'm not sure how that's all they have but that's what their saying.

We still have over 20 million after Winston, they obviously were planning on resigning Whitworth and Kirkpatrick both, so now we obviously have some money unspent that was intended for Whit. The 2-3 million Hobson is trying to spin is bogus, if that's true then they never had an intention of resigning Whitworth. I saw it somewhere that they came as close as 11 million. So that money just disappeared I guess.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 05:15 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: We still have over 20 million after Winston, they obviously were planning on resigning Whitworth and Kirkpatrick both, so now we obviously have some money unspent that was intended for Whit. The 2-3 million Hobson is trying to spin is bogus, if that's true then they never had an intention of resigning Whitworth. I saw it somewhere that they came as close as 11 million. So that money just disappeared I guess.

POOF...The Bengals are a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. I asked the same question. You would think they had some set aside for these guys. When I asked where the 32 mil went that they matched M. Jones last year of course the answer was Kirkpatrick. So I give up.
Reply/Quote