Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connor Williams - thoughts?
Apparently some in the media are offering the opinion he's a good fit for us. Thoughts?

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/18/cowboys-connor-williams-nfl-free-agency-bengals/?taid=6210e9f3d2db8100016dc2e1&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
His penalties are a tad concerning for me and I'd be disappointed if he was the top free agent lineman we brought in. I wouldn't mind Williams as are 2nd best free agent lineman addition paired with a tackle or another good interior lineman.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:04 PM)lone bengal Wrote: His penalties are a tad concerning for me and I'd be disappointed if he was the top free agent lineman we brought in. I wouldn't mind Williams as are 2nd best free agent lineman addition paired with a tackle or another good interior lineman.

I really like Laken Tomlinson but if we could get Williams at a better price  it would help fill other holes. Either player would be better than what we have. Connor is also much younger which the Bengals front office really like.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:11 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I really like Laken Tomlinson but if we could get Williams at a better price  it would help fill other holes. Either player would be better than what we have. Connor is also much younger which the Bengals front office really like.

I like Laken too. Like I said if Williams is the top lineman we signed I’d be disappointed. Williams paired with Trent Brown or Morgan Mosses at RT or another good guard or center I’d be happy. I think realistically with can sign 2 good free agent lineman with Williams at LT the use the draft to fill in the other holes. Can’t fix 4 spots in FA but only filling 1 with Williams wouldn’t be enough in my opinion.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:36 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Laken too. Like I said if Williams is the top lineman we signed I’d be disappointed. Williams paired with Trent Brown or Morgan Mosses at RT or another good guard or center I’d be happy. I think realistically with can sign 2 good free agent lineman with Williams at LT the use the draft to fill in the other holes. Can’t fix 4 spots in FA but only filling 1 with Williams wouldn’t be enough in my opinion.

Agree

I want some real top shelf guys, at least one ! And Williams sounds like he's leaning towards middle of the road. I don't want to rely on a somewhat project. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I want some real top shelf guys, at least one ! And Williams sounds like he's leaning towards middle of the road. I don't want to rely on a somewhat project. 

Yup the other thing too is there's not many top shelf guys so if you can't sign a guy like Scherff I'd be fine with brining in two 2nd tier soild starters. Can you bring in Laken Tomlison with a Morgan Mosses at RT or some combination. Im curious to see how much a guy like Trent Brown will get on the open market he's been hurt a lot maybe we can get him a little cheaper then coming of a healthy year at RT and pair him with a decent free agent guard. Alex Cappa from Tampa is an interesting guard he's 27 years old and has graded out well. He's a restricted FA so Tampa can match an offer but I think they'll have a tough time keeping everyone. 
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I've been working on making a mock with Connor, Daniels, and Zion to remake the interior. My biggest problem with my mock is figuring out the right RT. Im not sure if to mock Moses or Brown.

Edit: I have Daniel's and Zion in any mocks I do for the belief of mixing both until you find the perfect C/G combo as both are capable.
Reply/Quote
I agree that all the penalties are a concern and that there are a few guards I'd rather have.

I'm hoping to see:
- a young guard entering their 2nd contract (4 year deal).
- a aging veteran guard on a 2-3 year deal with outs after year 1 or 2 in case Carmann or Smith become something
- one of the top 2-3 centers, cut Hopkins and it only should account for $2-3M more than his cap hit this year
- either Reiff or another veteran RT on a 1 year deal, draft an OT in round 1 or 2
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:04 PM)lone bengal Wrote: His penalties are a tad concerning for me and I'd be disappointed if he was the top free agent lineman we brought in. I wouldn't mind Williams as are 2nd best free agent lineman addition paired with a tackle or another good interior lineman.

He had 15 last year on a down year. The year before that he had 6 and the year before that he had 4. So i have no problem signing him and I think pollack can cleanup his issues.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:36 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I like Laken too. Like I said if Williams is the top lineman we signed I’d be disappointed. Williams paired with Trent Brown or Morgan Mosses at RT or another good guard or center I’d be happy. I think realistically with can sign 2 good free agent lineman with Williams at LT the use the draft to fill in the other holes. Can’t fix 4 spots in FA but only filling 1 with Williams wouldn’t be enough in my opinion.

(02-19-2022, 12:45 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Agree

I agree with you guys, I'm not against Williams, as he appears to be more solid that what we were trotting out there at RG this season.  I would also be disappointed if he was the "big addition" to the OL.  I also agree that Tomlinson fits what I would like to see out there at RG, a tough, aggressive finisher.  He would definitely make rushing in short yardage situations more likely to be successful.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
For me I really think the Oline will be addressed early in FA with a least 1-2 outside signings, the interior was a major weakness last year. The Bengals will look towards the middle tier here, but I think it's the best way to upgrade and not lose focus on other areas of need. I for one would be happy with this scenerio:

Outside FA"S (re-signs)

1) Connor Williams- LG- 4yrs/32 million

2) Reilly Reiff - RT 1yrs/ 6 million

3) Brian Allen-C 3yrs/ 24 million

Draft:

1) Darien Kinnard-RT (Kentucky) 6'5 325.

2) Cb/Dt/

3) Cade Mays- C/G (Tennessee) 6'5 320
Reply/Quote
1.) Fits the system
2.) Is young
3.) Probably will be relatively cheap
4.) He has Bengals tie as he was drafted by Paul Alexander

He makes perfect sense for us. Sames goes for all three Rams offensive lineman Allen, Noteboom,  and Corbert.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
13 holding penalties in 2021. Yikes. OTOH he graded out well otherwise, but OMG, you better be sure you can fix him.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 08:51 PM)puddycat Wrote: 13 holding penalties in 2021. Yikes.  OTOH he graded out well otherwise, but OMG, you better be sure you can fix him.

I watched all Dallas games, this guy had more key bad penalties than any OL I have seen in a long time. If he was to  take a low contract, maybe but he is not worth anything over 5 million a year in my humble opinion. There are better options available at guard, namely a guy named Scherff.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Not a fan. I wasn't really a fan when he was a draft prospect either. He struck me as a finesse guy who didn't have an answer to raw power. 
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 02:47 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with you guys, I'm not against Williams, as he appears to be more solid than what we were trotting out there at RG this season.  I would also be disappointed if he was the "big addition" to the OL.  I also agree that Tomlinson fits what I would like to see out there at RG, a tough, aggressive finisher.  He would definitely make rushing in short-yardage situations more likely to be successful.
Let's make at least one of these happen
Terron Armstead- Saints
Orlando Brown- Chiefs 

Draft
Tyler Linderbaum, C/OG- Iowa or Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa

I do like Scherff more than Williams, but will Washington franchise tag him for the 3-yr in a row? 
Reply/Quote
Yeah the 15 penalties is a major concern for me. I'd rather go with someone else. I'm getting used to the low amount of penalties against us. Penalties are drive killers.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2022, 12:11 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: I really like Laken Tomlinson but if we could get Williams at a better price  it would help fill other holes. Either player would be better than what we have. Connor is also much younger which the Bengals front office really like.

Same. I like Laken a bit more than Connor cause of the penalty factor Lone Bengal spoke of but would be happy with Connor.

Daniels, Connor and a RT like Trent Brown, Morgan Moses or Duane Brown would be great.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2022, 12:18 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I watched all Dallas games, this guy had more key bad penalties than any OL I have seen in a long time. If he was to  take a low contract, maybe but he is not worth anything over 5 million a year in my humble opinion. There are better options available at guard, namely a guy named Scherff.

Scherff has some injury concerns though. Good OL when healthy, if we do get him hope he can stay healthy.

Armstead also has some injury concerns. I guess with whoever we get there will be something to ***** about.

Maybe Connor Williams would be much better with Pollack as his OL coach penalty wise, never know.

The one thing we were good at on the OL this year was not getting many penalties.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2022, 11:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Scherff has some injury concerns though. Good OL when healthy, if we do get him hope he can stay healthy.

Armstead also has some injury concerns. I guess with whoever we get there will be something to ***** about.

Maybe Connor Williams would be much better with Pollack as his OL coach penalty wise, never know.

The one thing we were good at on the OL this year was not getting many penalties.

People are harping over Wiliams penalties he had a bad year. The two years before that he had 10 total. Whatever he was doing last year I'm sure Pollack can get it corrected.
Reply/Quote