Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connor barwin
https://www.google.com/amp/www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2017/3/12/14904088/nfl-free-agency-connor-barwin-bengals-packers-rams-texans-eagles-houston-philadelphia-report
Reply/Quote
He would be an upgrade over MJ, at least.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 08:35 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: He would be an upgrade over MJ, at least.

What? MJ is a good run plugging DE and 3 down DL and Barwin is LB and pass rusher who was not very effective in 2016 either.

I see him as a 3rd down rusher who gets 30 to 40% of the defensive stats so hardly an upgrade in my humble opinion
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I get so confused about whether the Bengals are in win-now mode or not. They let Whitworth and Zeitler walk when they have ample cap room to retain at least one of them, so you think the Bengals don't have much urgency to win now and instead draft and develop. But then they look at a FA like Barwin who clearly isn't a long-term solution and would just take away snaps from a draft pick or younger player, so it gives off the feeling of win-now (somewhat).

Unfortunately, this lack of identity results in creating a plateau rather than peaks and valleys like most teams go through. While it's good to not have a "bad" team, it's frustrating to never have a "great" team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Barwin is not a win now signing. Peko is gone and gilberry and hunt are free agents. He would be part of rotation, nothing more. Would be a good plug in signing imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 12:52 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Barwin is not a win now signing.  Peko is gone and gilberry and hunt are free agents.  He would be part of rotation, nothing more.  Would be a good plug in signing imho

But if it's not a win-now signing, why bother doing it? Just draft a DE and give that DE reps if you're not trying to win now. The Bengals already have Dunlap, MJ, and Clarke, so they don't need more veterans at the position unless they are trying to win now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But if it's not a win-now signing, why bother doing it? Just draft a DE and give that DE reps if you're not trying to win now. The Bengals already have Dunlap, MJ, and Clarke, so they don't need more veterans at the position unless they are trying to win now.

They still need to draft a young pass rusher this year. Preferably early. Signing a high end guy like a chandler jones is win now mode. Connor not so much. If gilberry and hunt leave that's 3 players off the d line rotation.

Reply/Quote
He struggles in a 4-3. Not sold on fit.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 01:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: But if it's not a win-now signing, why bother doing it? Just draft a DE and give that DE reps if you're not trying to win now. The Bengals already have Dunlap, MJ, and Clarke, so they don't need more veterans at the position unless they are trying to win now.

Depth is important and no gaurentees you get who you want in the draft.
Reply/Quote

Because even though they want to build through the draft they still don't want to have to play rookies... or 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year players. 
Reply/Quote
Is he still good?
Reply/Quote
At first I really liked the sound of the signing.  Now I'm not sure what to think.  Just watched a fan video where the guy stated that his pressures per rush attempt were bottom 10 in the league last year for edge rushers.  He really did not take to the Schwartz style defense that is pretty similar to what Paulie G employs.  He'd still probably be good as a 3rd down blitz package dude, but he would not alleviate the need to get a good young player in this upcoming draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 02:31 PM)jj22 Wrote: He struggles in a 4-3. Not sold on fit.

Still a good fit in a rotation. We only play 4-3 as our base defense but change schemes often throughout the game.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote