Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charlie Hedbo/Politico on Harvey
Just some heartwarming stuff here folks. Apparently everyone in Texas who got hurt by Hurricane Charlie, deserved it because God brought it down on them for being Neo Nazi.

Can you imagine the backlash if some Texan group made a comic cover saying "Thank Allah for Muslim truck drivers! They ran over all the Neo Nazi in Nice!" Who decides that this kind of thing is a good idea to print and distribute?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/charlie-hebdo-cover-god-exists-he-drowned-all-the-neo-nazis-of-texas/ar-AAr2Mt4?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Quote:French magazine Charlie Hebdo sparked a firestorm of criticism with its latest cover, which declares "God Exists! He Drowned All the Neo-Nazis of Texas" amid catastrophic storm damage and deadly flooding from Hurricane Harvey.

The illustration shows half-submerged swastika flags and people drowning while giving the Nazi salute.

The blowback on Twitter was swift from American media representatives on both the right and left.

Charlie Hebdo has been targeted twice by terrorists in 2011 and 2015 for its depiction of the Prophet Muhammad.

The 2015 attack killed 12 staffers, including several prominent cartoonists.

Its latest cover comes on the heels of a Wednesday Politico cartoon that depicted a Texas resident wearing a Confederate flag shirt and a ten-gallon hat being rescued from a flooded home while holding a sign that reads "secede."

The man characterizes first responders as "Angels! Sent by God."

"Er, actually Coast Guard... sent by the government," a rescuer then says.

The reaction to that cartoon also led to harsh criticism, particularly from the right.

The Politico cartoon by the Washington, D.C.-based Matt Wuerker was deleted a few hours after being published online.

Wuerker won the Pulitzer prize Editorial Cartooning in 2012 and was nominated for the same award in 2009 and 2010.
The two things in question:
[Image: DIj1886VoAA6BUb.jpg:large]
[Image: DIfzlT3XcAEAkem.jpg]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
I won't hold my breath waiting for a bunch of Texans to shoot up Charlie Hedbo HQ.
We're going to have an influx of posters in this thread who defended Charlie Hebdo's right to publish shocking cartoons when they were shot up who are now going to feign outrage over this. I wouldn't expect much more from this publication.

The Politico cartoon is spot on, though. I feel for the victims who didn't vote for politicians that routinely vote against aid to other regions, policies to prepare for extreme weather when building infrastructure, or funding for climate research and emergency preparedness. I hope the others come away unscathed but understanding the necessity of these things.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(08-31-2017, 11:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I won't hold my breath waiting for a bunch of Texans to shoot up Charlie Hedbo HQ.

Like anyone in Texas would speak French.  Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(08-31-2017, 11:34 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I won't hold my breath waiting for a bunch of Texans to shoot up Charlie Hedbo HQ.

Well, I'm thinking most of those that would really be offended would not read the article, and would have a view of France similar to that of Ron Swanson's view of France.

(09-01-2017, 07:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're going to have an influx of posters in this thread who defended Charlie Hebdo's right to publish shocking cartoons when they were shot up who are now going to feign outrage over this. I wouldn't expect much more from this publication.

The Politico cartoon is spot on, though. I feel for the victims who didn't vote for politicians that routinely vote against aid to other regions, policies to prepare for extreme weather when building infrastructure, or funding for climate research and emergency preparedness. I hope the others come away unscathed but understanding the necessity of these things.

Agreed on both counts.
(09-01-2017, 07:57 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We're going to have an influx of posters in this thread who defended Charlie Hebdo's right to publish shocking cartoons when they were shot up who are now going to feign outrage over this. I wouldn't expect much more from this publication.

Don't get me wrong, I never said they COULDN'T post this. I am just saying they're shitty people for doing so. Criticizing someone for something isn't the same as saying they're not allowed to do something. Just like the shitty waste of human being Neo Nazi, Charlie Hebdo folks have a right to put on display how terrible of people they are. Doesn't mean I can't point it out.

The Politico cartoon is anything but spot on. Houston is in Harris County, which voted 54.2% Democrat in the 2016 election and 41.8% Republican.

(09-01-2017, 09:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Politico cartoon is anything but spot on. Houston is in Harris County, which voted 54.2% Democrat in the 2016 election and 41.8% Republican.

You can't take editorial cartoons literally. If you do, you're going to have a bad time.
(09-01-2017, 09:51 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I never said they COULDN'T post this. I am just saying they're shitty people for doing so. Criticizing someone for something isn't the same as saying they're not allowed to do something. Just like the shitty waste of human being Neo Nazi, Charlie Hebdo folks have a right to put on display how terrible of people they are. Doesn't mean I can't point it out.

Yea, this isn't new for them. It's almost like a ton of people didn't know this is what they did all of the time.

Quote:The Politico cartoon is anything but spot on. Houston is in Harris County, which voted 54.2% Democrat in the 2016 election and 41.8% Republican.

It doesn't matter if the majority of those in Houston aren't like this, it's still a spot on. These people exist in Texas in numbers and the criticism of them is accurate.

And if you want to get literal with this, Harris county voted for Ted Cruz who is one of those who embody this. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-01-2017, 10:00 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, this isn't new for them. It's almost like a ton of people didn't know this is what they did all of the time.

It doesn't matter if the majority of those in Houston aren't like this, it's still a spot on. These people exist in Texas in numbers and the criticism of them is accurate.

And if you want to get literal with this, Harris county voted for Ted Cruz who is one of those who embody this. 

[Image: Fair-enough-GIF.gif]