Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contract status of our o-line
Here is a list of every O-lineman we have under contract and the last year of their contracts

Boling........2019
Westerman.2019

Ogbuehi.....2018
Fisher........2018
Johnson.....2018
Omoile......2018
Hopkins.....2018
Leamon.....2018
Redmon....2018
Perkins.....2018
Hart.........2018

Notice anything interesting?

I predict we take at least 2 and probably even more O-linemne in this years draft.  Don't know how high we will draft them, but we have to restock our o-line this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of every O-lineman we have under contract and the last year of their contracts

Boling........2019
Westerman.2019

Ogbuehi.....2018
Fisher........2018
Johnson.....2018
Omoile......2018
Hopkins.....2018
Leamon.....2018
Redmon....2018
Perkins.....2018
Hart.........2018

I predict we take at least 2 and probably even more O-linemne in this years draft.  Don't know how high we will draft them, but we have to restock our o-line this year.

that oline list is NO oline at all! Yes to drafting an entire oline. the rooks couldn't be any worse!

Reply/Quote
Should be a rebuilding year as far as the offensive line goes. Plug guys in and out all season. See who's good, who's worth resigning, and who's worth the chop.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 05:33 PM)RASCAL Wrote: that oline list is NO oline at all! Yes to drafting an entire oline. the rooks couldn't be any worse!

Yeah they easily could
Reply/Quote
Interesting seeing it in black and white like that. Makes you wonder how its going to look at the end of the off-season. Thanks for posting that, Fred.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 05:43 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Should be a rebuilding year as far as the offensive line goes. Plug guys in and out all season. See who's good, who's worth resigning, and who's worth the chop.

Rebuilding is good, but I suppose we don't have a year's time for that. Which leads me to the question, how did Minnesota fix its lousy O-Line throughout one offseason?
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of every O-lineman we have under contract and the last year of their contracts

Boling........2019
Westerman.2019

Ogbuehi.....2018
Fisher........2018
Johnson.....2018
Omoile......2018
Hopkins.....2018
Leamon.....2018
Redmon....2018
Perkins.....2018
Hart.........2018

Or we could re-sign the losers on the cheap and keep the status quo going. Ninja

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Rebuilding is good, but I suppose we don't have a year's time for that. Which leads me to the question, how did Minnesota fix its lousy O-Line throughout one offseason?

Draft, free agency, etc. 

They did a masterful job completely rebuilding it. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 05:33 PM)RASCAL Wrote: that oline list is NO oline at all! Yes to drafting an entire oline. the rooks couldn't be any worse!

They could if the Bengals wait until Day 3 to address any OL.
But if the Bengals can address OL on Day 1/2, they should HOPEFULLY find at least one guy who can be an immediate plug-and-play that is an upgrade over what's on the roster.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 07:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: Rebuilding is good, but I suppose we don't have a year's time for that. Which leads me to the question, how did Minnesota fix its lousy O-Line throughout one offseason?

A little something called free agency helped.....

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 06:00 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yeah they easily could

Replacing them all with 180 pound wide receivers .. Yeah, in the world of hypotheticals there's no such thing as "It can't possibly get any worse."  EVERYTHING can always get worse.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They could if the Bengals wait until Day 3 to address any OL.
But if the Bengals can address OL on Day 1/2, they should HOPEFULLY find at least one guy who can be an immediate plug-and-play that is an upgrade over what's on the roster.

Actually, recent history says that tackles picked in the top 1/3(ish) isn't as hopeful as you'd think it is. It's still a safer bet than most picks, but it's still pretty spotty.

In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero. Jake Long (2008) is a backup in Atlanta now after two major knee surgeries. Jason Smith (2009) failed with the Rams, in part because of a severe concussion, and is out of football. Eric Fisher (2013) is improving, but was Pro Football Focus’ 39th-rated tackle last year; Luke Joeckel (2013) continued to struggle in Jacksonville and was rated 52nd. Greg Robinson of the Rams (2014) was 73rd of PFF’s 76 rated tackles last fall.

Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro. Obviously only one left tackle per year can be named first-team all-pro, but only four of the 17 ranked in PFF’s top 20 of tackles for the 2015 season play isn't a slam dunk.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Boling........2019
Westerman.2019

Ogbuehi.....2018
Fisher........2018
Johnson.....2018
Omoile......2018
Hopkins.....2018
Leamon.....2018
Redmon....2018
Perkins.....2018
Hart.........2018

Yeah, i think 2 is a pretty good number, depending on who they resign this off-season. Which one of those do you think they pick up options on? I think Fish and Hopkins.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:12 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Actually, recent history says that tackles picked in the top 1/3(ish) isn't as hopeful as you'd think it is. It's still a safer bet than most picks, but it's still pretty spotty.

In the past 10 years, there have been five tackles chosen either first or second overall. Above-average starting tackles today among those five: zero. Jake Long (2008) is a backup in Atlanta now after two major knee surgeries. Jason Smith (2009) failed with the Rams, in part because of a severe concussion, and is out of football. Eric Fisher (2013) is improving, but was Pro Football Focus’ 39th-rated tackle last year; Luke Joeckel (2013) continued to struggle in Jacksonville and was rated 52nd. Greg Robinson of the Rams (2014) was 73rd of PFF’s 76 rated tackles last fall.

Of the 17 tackles picked in the top 10 since 2005, only three were ever first-team all-pro. Obviously only one left tackle per year can be named first-team all-pro, but only four of the 17 ranked in PFF’s top 20 of tackles for the 2015 season play isn't a slam dunk.

I get that fewer and fewer OTs in the draft are panning out, but the likelihood of finding an actual good one gets lower and lower as each round goes by based on probability of remaining OTs to select from.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
This looks like a horrible blueprint for success.

Who the hell is running this show ? Bet not many others are following this plan.

Heck with the practice bubble, somebody buy us a Big Top Tent for what at times appears to be a circus.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:15 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Yeah, i think 2 is a pretty good number, depending on who they resign this off-season. Which one of those do you think they pick up options on? I think Fish and Hopkins.

I didn't think non-first rounders had option years on their contracts?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 11:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: They could if the Bengals wait until Day 3 to address any OL.

My hopes and prayers are for this plan of draft attack.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that fewer and fewer OTs in the draft are panning out, but the likelihood of finding an actual good one gets lower and lower as each round goes by based on probability of remaining OTs to select from.

This year's crop of incoming OT doesn't really excite me very much. While the top few are probably good OT, none of them are slam dunks. Not saying not take a chance on one but I would hold my reservations about claiming our line is fixed. I will admit though, I have more confidence in Pollack wading thru all the names than PA.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:12 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Actually, recent history says that tackles picked in the top 1/3(ish) isn't as hopeful as you'd think it is. It's still a safer bet than most picks, but it's still pretty spotty.

No position is a "slam dunk".  (See our last two early wide receiver picks Ross (1st round) & Boyd (2nd round) & Yes, they could still pan out.)

Last Draft and off the top of my head, we saw 1st rounder Ryan Ramczyk starting at right tackle for the Saints in the playoffs, 2nd rounder Cam Robinson starting at Left tackle for the Jags in the playoffs and 3rd round Center Pat Eiflen starting for the Vikings in the playoffs.

The point isn't whether we Draft first team All pros but rather that we view our weakest areas on the team with an eye on bringing in potential starter Upgrades as the opportunity to do so presents itself in drafts. (Would be nice if we did so in Free Agency also but not likely)

We need to be able to recognize the potential UPGRADE DIFFERENTIAL between what we have starting for us now and an available player in a Draft, (as Tom Coughlin did with Cam Robinson in Jacksonville) and then INVEST our pick in an attempt at an upgrade of that starting weak link.

Be aggressive in taking swings at weak link starter upgrades and make the starting team on the field better. Then go back to drafting a starter replacement two years ahead of time or getting a 5th corner in place or drafting a Toy fastest combine speed ever guy etc.

The Bengals are good at keeping a starting running back IN PLACE while turning over the last one by making sure they get a THOROUGHBRED to replace him but do not do the same with many other positions.

They would never FLOUNDER around with a serviceable or worse running back for very long but are willing to FLOUNDER around with other starters from season to season at times.

In short, INVEST in upgrading the 4 or 5 weak link starters with early round stabs at worthy candidates that can likely UPGRADE and we will begin to run out of weak links.

Then they can go back to whatever it is they have been doing all of these years until more starting weak links present themselves.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 01:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: This year's crop of incoming OT doesn't really excite me very much. While the top few are probably good OT, none of them are slam dunks. Not saying not take a chance on one but I would hold my reservations about claiming our line is fixed. I will admit though, I have more confidence in Pollack wading thru all the names than PA.

IMO the only "good" OT classes since 2014 look to be 2014 and 2016. Specifically, Jake Matthews, Taylor Lewan, Ronnie Stanley, and Jack Conklin. Ramczyk was good at RT from the 2017 draft but the rest of the OTs were not good. 2015 was a very bad year for OTs.

And while I agree with you that the Bengals might not find a good starter at OT in this draft, the only other options are rolling out with abysmal Cedric Ogbuehi or forcing Boling outside which he wasn't that great at either. Boling is a fill-in for LT, not the answer. So if the Bengals don't try to upgrade OT this offseason with either an early draft pick or somehow landing Solder in FA, I don't see much reason to hope for good play at LT in 2018. But that could also be my pessimism that Ogbuehi will magically become a good player after one offseason with Pollack.

Maybe the Bengals go bargain-bin shopping with Greg Robinson, former #2 overall pick in 2014 that was bad up to this point, moved from the Rams to Detroit, and is now a FA.
I have more faith in Pollack coaching up Robinson into something compared Ogbuehi based on their strengths and weaknesses and the scheme Pollack is looking to run.
But it would still be hard to have true faith in the OT position if the only player the Bengals brought in to compete with Ogbuehi was Robinson.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote