Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contract status of our o-line
(02-21-2018, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I get that fewer and fewer OTs in the draft are panning out, but the likelihood of finding an actual good one gets lower and lower as each round goes by based on probability of remaining OTs to select from.

Colleges usemostly spread offenses and tackles are prepared for the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2018, 02:29 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: They clearly know "what" needs to upgrade. But the plan then becomes "who" and "where" to do that at. And again, take into consideration the value perspective of each position. They need to upgrade both tackle spots, LB, and safety first. Guards are a dime a dozen. 

I agree as long as Nelson is already off the board....
if he's there i'd pick him at 12
if he's gone i'd pick the highest rated OT on the Bengals board....

rd 2 maybe go OT again....? or LB or S....

i'd just feel better about the 2018 season if we try to fix this O-line early in this draft....
maybe the first 5 picks 3 of them O-line players.....???
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2018, 01:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Here is a list of every O-lineman we have under contract and the last year of their contracts

Boling........2019
Westerman.2019

Ogbuehi.....2018
Fisher........2018
Johnson.....2018
Omoile......2018
Hopkins.....2018
Leamon.....2018
Redmon....2018
Perkins.....2018
Hart.........2018

Notice anything interesting?

I predict we take at least 2 and probably even more O-linemne in this years draft.  Don't know how high we will draft them, but we have to restock our o-line this year.

I actually find this kind of encouraging that the only guys i really like have an extra year on their contracts in Boling and Westerman.

Probably won't draft Guard early with Westerman and Redmond coming on. Ought to extend Redmond.

This kind of forces us to draft OT early and not having a Center on the roster is also encouraging to me as we should draft one in the
2nd to 3rd round i hope. Plus Pollack our new guy should get some more new toys to work with. Thanks for this Fred.

:andy:
Reply/Quote
One way to help better the odds of drafting a lineman that will make it is to prefer schools running pro style offenses over ones running gimmick offenses. As to contracts, the other thing that needs to happen for this team to have any real hope is the philosophy of not valuing interior linemen has to be jettisoned. In the modern NFL where good defenses have good rushers both inside and out interior line has jumped in value.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The sad part is soon the longest contract we will have will be Bodine's.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 02:17 AM)Joelist Wrote: One way to help better the odds of drafting a lineman that will make it is to prefer schools running pro style offenses over ones running gimmick offenses.

This is where professional scouts come into play.  They should be able to break down a players skills and decide what system he will work in.

It is obviously much harder to evaluate a player in one scheme and projecting him in another, but professional scouts should know what to look for.
Reply/Quote
I have come to conclusion that it takes at least 2 yrs. for linemen to adjust to pro ball, very few come in and start right away, look at Bodine, he was rated high coming in but hasn't lived up to expectations, same with Greg Robinson, the best players need to mature before playing. I cite how Redmon and Westerman played in the last two games. Hope the new coach will work on helping the ones we have, and choosing prospects he can work with.
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is where professional scouts come into play.  They should be able to break down a players skills and decide what system he will work in.

It is obviously much harder to evaluate a player in one scheme and projecting him in another, but professional scouts should know what to look for.

True enough. I was just thinking that preferring schools with pro style offenses improves our chances. 
Reply/Quote
(02-23-2018, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is where professional scouts come into play.  They should be able to break down a players skills and decide what system he will work in.

You make a great point about professional scouts, they should be able to tell the difference in what a player's strengths and weaknesses are, and what type of system they will be a "best fit" for.

However, it's not just the Bengals scouts that have been fooled in recent years.  Several highly rated OTs have fooled scouts from several teams other than the Bengals.  On the reason for this, I blame the option offenses that are so popular in college football, in recent years.  Those linemen aren't asked to block for a standard 5-7 step drop., many of them also aren't very aggressive when it comes to run blocking.  

Now, I'm not wanting to spend the time building my list of early round OT flops in recent years tonight.  However, if you think that I'm full of shit on this notion, you are more than welcome to research for yourself.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote