Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cooper
If Cooper isn't picked back up by Dallas would you consider moving on from AJ and bringing him in?

I really think this team dropped the ball not trading AJ and Dalton before the deadline last year but here we are
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 06:25 PM)motoarch Wrote: If Cooper isn't picked back up by Dallas would you consider moving on from AJ and bringing him in?

I really think this team dropped the ball not trading AJ and Dalton before the deadline last year but here we are

I’d prefer signing a 25 year old Cooper on a rebuilding team then spending big money on a 32 year old receiver that hasn’t been healthy in 3 years. Overall I wound’t sign Cooper we have way bigger needs on the O-line and defense that need to be addressed first. Skill players are fun to watch but I rather protect my franchise Qb or invest resources into a defense that has been bottom of the league the last 3 seasons.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 10:59 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I’d prefer signing a 25 year old Cooper on a rebuilding team then spending big money on a 32 year old receiver that hasn’t been healthy in 3 years. Overall I wound’t sign Cooper we have way bigger needs on the O-line and defense that need to be addressed first. Skill players are fun to watch but I rather protect my franchise Qb or invest resources into a defense that has been bottom of the league the last 3 seasons.

I agree, the money invested in OL will allow whoever is playing in the skill positions to have a better season.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 06:25 PM)motoarch Wrote: If Cooper isn't picked back up by Dallas would you consider moving on from AJ and bringing him in?

Andy yes. AJ apparently wouldn't have been able to pass a physical so it is what it is.

Go after Cooper and let AJ walk. Do I think it will happen? No. He would be a great option for Burrow to throw to though.
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote

I thought that too but if we had traded Dalton we would be the 3rd ever 0-16 team

doubt there was a market for an injured WR who might not play and on the final year of his deal
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 10:59 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I’d prefer signing a 25 year old Cooper on a rebuilding team then spending big money on a 32 year old receiver that hasn’t been healthy in 3 years. Overall I wound’t sign Cooper we have way bigger needs on the O-line and defense that need to be addressed first. Skill players are fun to watch but I rather protect my franchise Qb or invest resources into a defense that has been bottom of the league the last 3 seasons.

same and if not cooper some other younger WR that has time to grow with burrow instead of someone we will be replacing in 1-3 years
Reply/Quote
No. The draft is loaded with WR talent this year, we need to really sign AJ to a team friendly deal and address other areas of weakness on the team. I think we come away with 2 very solid WR's in this years draft.
Reply/Quote

Completely agree, of course I would love to have Amari Cooper but we have too many holes to fill on the Line and at LB.

If we can sign AJ to a laden incentive multi year contract I think it is the better way to go and AJ should be cheaper if we 
do it this way. Our hand is kind of forced. Bring in an O-lineman and a good LB in FA, draft Burrow and a weapon or two 
in the Draft and continue to build around Burrow should be the plan.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 04:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Completely agree, of course I would love to have Amari Cooper but we have too many holes to fill on the Line and at LB.

If we can sign AJ to a laden incentive multi year contract I think it is the better way to go and AJ should be cheaper if we 
do it this way.
Our hand is kind of forced. Bring in an O-lineman and a good LB in FA, draft Burrow and a weapon or two 
in the Draft and continue to build around Burrow should be the plan.

I'm not so sure about that part.  Remembering back to some of AJ's quotes, where he stated that "It's a business", and that he "knows what he brings to a team".  Quotes like that don't come from a guy willing to take a team friendly, incentive laden deal without the guaranteed money.  If I had confidence that AJ was going to be 100% healthy, I'd be all-in on paying him one of those 3 year/$50M deals that I believe he's looking for.  He's also been quoted as saying that "tagging him is not the way to go".  

So, do we really want an often injured, aging star that might be protecting his health in hopes of a future payday on a one year tag?  I'm not sure that Amari Cooper is the direction to go, either.  There has to be a reason that he will likely be with his 3rd team in 3 years.  I get that the Raiders moved him to clear cap space, same as moving Mack.  But for Dallas to not be wanting to lock him up for 5 years, there must be some sort of issue with him.  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 06:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not so sure about that part.  Remembering back to some of AJ's quotes, where he stated that "It's a business", and that he "knows what he brings to a team".  Quotes like that don't come from a guy willing to take a team friendly, incentive laden deal without the guaranteed money.  If I had confidence that AJ was going to be 100% healthy, I'd be all-in on paying him one of those 3 year/$50M deals that I believe he's looking for.  He's also been quoted as saying that "tagging him is not the way to go".  

So, do we really want an often injured, aging star that might be protecting his health in hopes of a future payday on a one year tag?  I'm not sure that Amari Cooper is the direction to go, either.  There has to be a reason that he will likely be with his 3rd team in 3 years.  I get that the Raiders moved him to clear cap space, same as moving Mack.  But for Dallas to not be wanting to lock him up for 5 years, there must be some sort of issue with him.  

All good points, but I have always found AJ classy and I believe he HAS to take into account his recent injury history.

Every other team will take it into account as we should. I don't want to see us tagging the guy and him sitting on the bench 
making 18 mil. If AJ thinks he can stay healthy he will want to prove that he can and he will take an incentive multiple year
contract otherwise, I don't see him getting a big contract anywhere.

Cooper is just younger and stays healthy which is why I would be for him if the Line and Linebackers were taken care of.

One good thing is this is a very deep draft for WR's.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 07:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: All good points, but I have always found AJ classy and I believe he HAS to take into account his recent injury history.

Every other team will take it into account as we should. I don't want to see us tagging the guy and him sitting on the bench 
making 18 mil. If AJ thinks he can stay healthy he will want to prove that he can and he will take an incentive multiple year
contract otherwise, I don't see him getting a big contract anywhere.

Cooper is just younger and stays healthy which is why I would be for him if the Line and Linebackers were taken care of.

One good thing is this is a very deep draft for WR's.

Exactly, every time that I run a mock draft, I find WRs that I think have a chance of making an impact in the late rounds.  Keeping AJ Green would be the best case scenario, as I would absolutely love to see him retire with having played his entire career as a Bengal.  But, if that doesn't work out, I think with the loaded draft class looming, contracts for free agent WRs should be somewhat manageable this year.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Though he's had his moments, I think Amari Cooper has underachieved. I don't know if that's because of Carr or what, but I'm cool on bringing him here for big money. I'd rather have Diggs if we're gonna do all this.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't want him at the price he'll command. If we could get him at 11 mil per, then yeah, sure. But that's not happening.

Fwiw, my plan would be as follows...

1.) Let AJ walk, or do a "tag and trade".
2.) Use savings to bolster OL and/or LB in FA
3.) Sign a cheaper WR vet in FA @ 4-7 mil per to add depth and experience to corp
4.) Draft WR in round 2 or 3 (Class is super deep. Guy taken at 33 would be a stud)

Corp depth would look like: Boyd, Draft pick, FA Vet, Tate
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2020, 01:23 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: 1.) Let AJ walk, or do a "tag and trade".

What does this mean? Are you talking about tagging and trading this year? Or tagging and hoping another team want's to trade before you give a new contract for 2021? I don't know a lot about the rules of tagging is why I ask. Doesn't seem right to be able to tag for the purpose of trading same year.

Reply/Quote