Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cop kills man after he informs officer that he is legally carrying a concealed weapon
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

Philando Castile was shot and killed by cops at a traffic stop (broken taillight). He informed the officer, as he went for his ID, that he had a conceal carry license and was carrying.

The officer pointed his weapon at him and told him not to move. As he went to put his hands back up, the officer shot him 4-5 times. He died at the hospital. His girlfriend live streamed the aftermath of the shooting as she and their 5 year old daughter were in the car when it happened. Both would find their way into the back of a cruiser.

He was black and the officer was white...

The officer can be heard saying "I told him not to move" as his girlfriend responds "you told him to get his ID out"
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-06-2016, 02:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: So paid leave, a few arguments over what to charge, internal investigation that finds no wrongdoing and then back to work.

That said:  This is becoming the "Summer of the Shark".  That one year when the news was filled with shark attacks and it turned out there were less that year than the year before.

If it bleeds it leads....
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-07-2016, 12:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: That said:  This is becoming the "Summer of the Shark".  That one year when the news was filled with shark attacks and it turned out there were less that year than the year before.

This is similar to what I was going to post about. Is this really an uptick in these sorts of things, or is this just the current issue for the media to latch onto? I'm legitimately curious.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(07-07-2016, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is similar to what I was going to post about. Is this really an uptick in these sorts of things, or is this just the current issue for the media to latch onto? I'm legitimately curious.

We may never really know.  Wasn't it established in one of the many posts on this subject that there is no database of these things kept on a national level?
Thoughts & prayers with his family and friends. But wow, had a concealed carry permit, did exactly what he was supposed to do when pulled over, and still got shot 4 times. What the **** is wrong with some of these cops.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(07-07-2016, 12:29 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Thoughts & prayers with his family and friends. But wow, had a concealed carry permit, did exactly what he was supposed to do when pulled over, and still got shot 4 times. What the **** is wrong with some of these cops.
Yep. But again, they have a tough job. They may not be going home every time they go to work. If I were in that situation. I would have put my hands on my head and asked him if I could step out of the car. Then the cop could get my weapon and my ID on his own. I don't think this should have ended this way though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(07-07-2016, 12:10 PM)GMDino Wrote: That said:  This is becoming the "Summer of the Shark".  That one year when the news was filled with shark attacks and it turned out there were less that year than the year before.

Unfortunately, this is far far far from "Summer of the Shark" This crap goes on even more than what the media get hold of. 
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(07-07-2016, 11:52 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/07/us/falcon-heights-shooting-minnesota/

Philando Castile was shot and killed by cops at a traffic stop (broken taillight). He informed the officer, as he went for his ID, that he had a conceal carry license and was carrying.

The officer pointed his weapon at him and told him not to move. As he went to put his hands back up, the officer shot him 4-5 times. He died at the hospital. His girlfriend live streamed the aftermath of the shooting as she and their 5 year old daughter were in the car when it happened. Both would find their way into the back of a cruiser.

He was black and the officer was white...

The officer can be heard saying "I told him  not to move" as his girlfriend responds "you told him to get his ID out"

Bad Decision... I get cops are jumpy but this one seems a pretty clear case of overreaction.

If dude hade planned to shot the cop I doubt he would have announced he had a gun before reaching for it.

One reason I never have my wallet in my back pocket while driving (besides it being uncomfortable as hell) is so I can get it out easier if I need too. (not that that should matter at all in this case) 

The worst thing about all of this is 1 cop in this case makes a bad decision but it will reflect badly on all the other officers and probly put them in slightly more danger of retaliation from others. News likes to make it out that cops are shooting anyone and everyone but the focus they put on it without any offsetting stories makes it sound like it happens every day.
(07-07-2016, 01:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Bad Decision... I get cops are jumpy but this one seems a pretty clear case of overreaction.

If dude hade planned to shot the cop I doubt he would have announced he had a gun before reaching for it.

One reason I never have my wallet in my back pocket while driving (besides it being uncomfortable as hell) is so I can get it out easier if I need too. (not that that should matter at all in this case) 

The worst thing about all of this is 1 cop in this case makes a bad decision but it will reflect badly on all the other officers and probly put them in slightly more danger of retaliation from others.  News likes to make it out that cops are shooting anyone and everyone but the focus they put on it without any offsetting stories makes it sound like it happens every day.

To paraphrase other things on this board: So when will all the good cops start calling out all the bad apples?  Mellow
These guys have a tough job. Here's a case of another fatal shooting:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/07/video-shows-motorist-punching-off-duty-cop-before-fatal-shooting/

Quote:“The video shows the guy coming out of his f–king car, running up to [the cop’s] car, going in the driver’s-side window and just punching the s–t of this poor cop. Then all of a sudden you see sparks,” the owner said, adding that the next image is of Small hitting the pavement.

He added that Small “was wailing on [Isaacs’] face, like ‘pow, pow!’ He was looking to knock this guy out, punching and punching. Maybe four punches.

The issue is when one of them makes a mistake it is often times made public and tied to a larger conspricy. Bad cops should be punished; however, they should not be punished in the court of public opinion and by those for whom they put their lives on the line on a daily basis.

I've told the story before about how I was visiting a friend in Eastern Cincy one time. Around midnight (I was on R&R from Bosnia deployment and my clock was all messed up) I decided to go for a run. After about 30 minutes it started to rain and I realized I was lost. A LEO happened by and I waived him down, he stopped questioned me, and offered to give a ride.

I had no ID. Would this had gone differently if I had been black, as it was a pretty fancy part of town? Who knows, but I do know that night the LEO earned a lot of my respect.

So long story short. Each side will use these examples to soldify their stance and the ones (unlawfull arrests/shooting) found to be be without merit only hurt both sides.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-07-2016, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: These guys have a tough job. Here's a case of another fatal shooting:

http://nypost.com/2016/07/07/video-shows-motorist-punching-off-duty-cop-before-fatal-shooting/

The issue is when one of them makes a mistake it is often times made public and tied to a larger conspricy. Bad cops should be punished; however, they should not be punished in the court of public opinion and by those for whom they put their lives on the line on a daily basis.

Sad story, but it was an off-duty officer. Nothing to say the attacker knew he was attacking or why he did it. Maybe just a simple case of road rage gone bad?

(07-07-2016, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've told the story before about how I was visiting a friend in Eastern Cincy one time. Around midnight (I was on R&R from Bosnia deployment and my clock was all messed up) I decided to go for a run. After about 30 minutes it started to rain and I realized I was lost. A LEO happened by and I waived him down, he stopped questioned me, and offered to give a ride.

I had no ID. Would this had gone differently if I had been black, as it was a pretty fancy part of town? Who knows, but I do know that night the LEO earned a lot of my respect.

So long story short. Each side will use these examples to soldify their stance and the ones (unlawfull arrests/shooting) found to be be without merit only hurt both sides.

The fact that you even asked the question shows there is a problem.

I've said many times that whether it is fair or not officers of the law are and should be held to a hire standard than the average Joe. They have the ability to take your property, your rights and you away.

That doesn't mean they are all bad or, as you say, should be tried in the court of public opinion. But they are going to get more scrutiny due to their position of power in society.
(07-07-2016, 12:12 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is similar to what I was going to post about. Is this really an uptick in these sorts of things, or is this just the current issue for the media to latch onto? I'm legitimately curious.

More whites are killed by cops each year (I think)....but it rarely makes the news because there's no race angle.

Any time a black dies in a questionable shooting, you can almost hear a collective "groan" when the media learns it was a black cop.....but if you're a black cop, you can still be racist against blacks [problem solved]
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-07-2016, 02:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: More whites are killed by cops each year (I think)....but it rarely makes the news because there's no race angle.

Any time a black dies in a questionable shooting, you can almost hear a collective "groan" when the media learns it was a black cop.....but if you're a black cop, you can still be racist against blacks [problem solved]

Wow.

Mellow
(07-07-2016, 12:38 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Unfortunately, this is far far far from "Summer of the Shark" This crap goes on even more than what the media get hold of. 

IMO.

Black people have claimed that these types of over-reaction/excessive use type situations have been going on unabated for decades. Only recently do we have body and cell phone cams to show that there is something to what they have been claiming all along.  'Summer of Sharks'? Not likely. More like the beginning of a tidal wave of public outrage that is going to sweep over our legal system. And it should.

I support cops. Most are good people who are good at what they do. But not all. And it is not easy for 'good cops' to weed out 'bad cops' for a variety of reasons. That said, I'd also like to point out that roadside shootings of police officers is predominantly done by whites.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-07-2016, 02:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've told the story before about how I was visiting a friend in Eastern Cincy one time. Around midnight (I was on R&R from Bosnia deployment and my clock was all messed up) I decided to go for a run. After about 30 minutes it started to rain and I realized I was lost. A LEO happened by and I waived him down, he stopped questioned me, and offered to give a ride.

It probably made a bit of difference that you had a military haircut. ThumbsUp  
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-07-2016, 02:28 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: More whites are killed by cops each year (I think)....but it rarely makes the news because there's no race angle.

False assumption.......But also There's no good data on how many people police kill each year.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
Sad for this guy, the cop over reacted, and he's likely going to pay for it.

2 things stick out to me. 1, he was with his family (usually someone isn't going to gamble with those lives), and 2 he told the cop he was a CC. If you're intent was to kill, he definitely wouldn't have told him that. Sad way to go, now we also have a little girl who is going to grow up hating cops for taking her daddy from her, and so the cycle will continue.
That's two this week that on the surface look really bad. I think police need to understand that it is also a stressful occasion for the citizen, and they may not do everything exactly how you think they should. I really try to defend the police, but if you have your weapon aimed at a person, "I thought he was going for a gun" doesn't cut it for me. You're not facing the mythical version of Wild Bill who can draw and shoot a double action revolver in one second.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(07-07-2016, 04:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: That's two this week that on the surface look really bad.  I think police need to understand that it is also a stressful occasion for the citizen, and they may not do everything exactly how you think they should.  I really try to defend the police, but if you have your weapon aimed at a person, "I thought he was going for a gun" doesn't cut it for me.  You're not facing the mythical version of Wild Bill who can draw and shoot a double action revolver in one second.

I was thinking of how to say the same thing.

If an officer has to deal with the occasional idiot maybe the officer can occasionally allow the idot to be on his way after conducting business.

No one WANTS a ticket.  If the drivers gives a little lip chalk it up to a bad day and everyone go home.  Obviously not if there is a sense of some danger.

Of course this one was before the business was over so it doesn't apply, but for other times maybe.
(07-07-2016, 02:51 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: False assumption.......But also There's no good data on how many people police kill each year.

So, um, there's no good data but it's a false assumption (actually, I've read that so it was more than "I think")?  Two different studies reported in NY Times and WaPO I saw show more whites are killed by cops than blacks.

I think you mean to say blacks are killed disproportionately more....but then that likely doesn't tell the story, either.
--------------------------------------------------------