Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cop tailgated me at night time and then gave me a ticket for speeding lol
So a couple weeks ago I was driving home at night. A car comes out of nowhere and is right on my ass (65mph lanes where most people go 70).

I'm driving in the middle lane, and the headlights of a car are right behind me, so I go into the left lane and and he follows me (right behind me again). Half a mile later, I switch back to the middle lane to get him off my ass (the lanes are clear open) he switches right back, so as soon as I see him switch back to the middle lane, I go right back to the left lane to keep him off my ass and he turns on his cop lights - lol. That was suspect driving!

He said "I was following you for a mile there, you were speeding going 80."

I didn't have the guts to tell him, "well do you think I was speeding or changing lanes because you were 1ft away from my bumper the whole time and I can't tell that you're a cop car in the dark? 1 mile of a stranger doing that, I'm going to either speed up or slam on my brakes, which is better?". To be frank I don't care about the money/points, but I feel like this is a tactic he/they have been pulling on other helpless drivers.

Yes, I am going to speed up (in my Honda FIT which takes 10 seconds to go from 70-80mph) if I sense someone is driving erratically tailgating me at night! I should have gone to trial and embarrassed him if he showed up, and asked how many times he's pulled that maneuver on others.

Sure I was speeding, and I guess he had nothing to do with it lol. I wonder how many wrecks cops actually cause instead of help stop by saying "you need to slow down", looking at autobahn statistics, where people know you better not get into that left lane if you see porsche lights from half a mile away.

It's one thing to radar me going 80 off the side of the road, it's another to try and cause the crime, lol, I don't know how anyone else would react to being tailgated at night like that. I don't like going fast in my Honda Fit, it struggles to keep that speed anyway. If he caught me in the other car, I get it.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Well, at least you were sober.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 11:22 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, at least you were sober.

I thought he was going to pull me out because I was fatigued. I've been pulled over before so it's a routine/boring process to me at this point (lol), but I'm sure I showed "signs" of being intoxicated based on how sleepy I was lol.
Reply/Quote
You should have hit him with the old "Your wife called and told me 'Come do me quick while my husband is at work!', so I was trying to get there as fast as I could"
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 10:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote:  I don't know how anyone else would react to being tailgated at night like that.

Instead of cutting back and forth between the middle and left lane I would have gotten in the right hand lane and let him pass.
Reply/Quote
I had the same thing happen to me.

In my situation I had someone tailgating me with fog-lights on coming down an inclined road.

The inside of my car was lit the hell up by the vehicle that was ridiculously to me.

So I sped up to create a little bit of distance before trying to maneuver away from them.

As soon as I did... those flashing lights came on.

When the officer pulled me over he asked about my speed and I said "I thought someone had fog-lights on that was following too close to me... so I sped up."

Luckily he just gave me a warning(which is really damn lucky, considering after the fact I found out this was speed trap zone).

It was him the whole time. The warning was an admission that he had created the issue.

I'm not sure if he was using this tactic just to pull someone over in hopes to find intoxication or to search their vehicle.

Sorry to hear that happen to you.

There are good cops and not so good ones.

Just like any other profession you'll have those who fall within that spectrum.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Instead of cutting back and forth between the middle and left lane I would have gotten in the right hand lane and let him pass.

As an attorney, you would have known the right things to say in this incident if pulled over but hindsight is 20/20. As he explained, he wasn't really sure WTF the guy was doing and didn't know it was an officer. Right or wrong, it does sound like he was baited. As much as well love our people in blue, it does happen.

Reply/Quote
My experience with being pulled over is that police officers will usually get up close to you to run your plates before pulling you over, that way they know what they are working with before stepping up to your car. So I’m not so sure this is abnormal or that he was trying to cause you to speed.

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 04:07 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: My experience with being pulled over is that police officers will usually get up close to you to run your plates before pulling you over, that way they know what they are working with before stepping up to your car. So I’m not so sure this is abnormal or that he was trying to cause  you to speed.

Plus they want to see how you immediately react. Do you try to hide something or panic. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 12:27 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I thought he was going to pull me out because I was fatigued. I've been pulled over before so it's a routine/boring process to me at this point (lol), but I'm sure I showed "signs" of being intoxicated based on how sleepy I was lol.

Careful out there.  Fatigued driving can be just as dangerous as distracted or impaired driving.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
About 20 years I dropped a couple of friends off down at Annies off of 52 in eastern Cincy area. It was about 10-11 or so, I was sober too.

Not even a half mile of leaving there to head back home, as they were going to get a cab ride later on, a cop got on my tail and was right on me for a about a mile or so.

Lights went on, pulled over, then she came up to car & asked for licence and registration, yada yada. Didnt say a word, but she went on to say I was swerving left of center which I wasnt. When she realized I was sober, she still gave me the ticket, turned her car around and headed back to the club area.

She was a Cincy cop, and it was complete bull. Only reason I didnt contest was because I living in Columbus at the time, and just visiting for the weekend. Anyways, thats my story of being ****ed over by a cop. Fyi for what it's worth, I am white, so skin color played no role in this cop being a ****.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 06:18 PM)Millhouse Wrote:  Fyi for what it's worth, I am white, so skin color played no role in this cop being a ****.

No your not. I am your father and the reason you got a ticket was because you didn't use the force!

Reply/Quote
Related enough to post here.

New Jersey state troopers pulled over a woman who complied with the officers while mentioning she will be invoking her right to remain silent and not answer questions. They continue to badger her and threaten to arrest her and she mentions she's a lawyer who know her rights. She is put in handcuffs and told her detainment is due to "obstruction" related to not answering questions. They verbally read her the Miranda rights - including "the right to remain silent" before hauling her off to jail. A supervisor let her go without charges after reviewing the footage and passed of the incident as a "rookie" mistake.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/lawyer-busted-staying-quiet-traffic-stop-files-lawsuit-article-1.2626245

[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
When people get behind me in traffic day or night and I think it's because they want me to speed up I almost always take my foot off the gas and slow down  ..I'm under zero obligation to ensure they get to where they're going on time even if they're about to give birth in the drivers seat.  
The "JEEEZ! I thought you were an ax murderer!" excuse never works..  
All that said you would probably hate getting behind me in traffic. I'm usually obnoxiously slow in traffic AND I LOVE driving 10 miles with the turn signal on.. lol
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
There are certainly asshole cops out there, just like any profession. I remember getting a ticket for going 35 in a 30 on a sunny July afternoon.

That said, speeding up and moving left was about the stupidest thing you can do in that situation. Speeding up and moving left is reserved for merging and overtaking. Best way to deal with a tailgater is to move right and let up off the gas to get them out of the way faster. Once they're by, resume normal driving.

It's suppose it's possible this cop was just out to get someone, but you essentially gave him or her the definition of erratic driving. Not sure about your state, but in many states moving to the left without passing is a tickets left offense itself.

Next time just move right and let up off the gas a bit.
Reply/Quote
Anyone remember the speed trap of West Jefferson? Speed limit on US40 was 55, but in WJ there was a railroad underpass with a sign on the other side with 25 mph hidden just out of sight .. That was West Jefferson's prime source of city revenue for years and years .  I don't know if they still do it, but that place was legendary especially before I-70 was built. US-40 was the main route from the east coast to the west coast back then unless you took a train .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 08:14 AM)grampahol Wrote: When people get behind me in traffic day or night and I think it's because they want me to speed up I almost always take my foot off the gas and slow down  ..I'm under zero obligation to ensure they get to where they're going on time even if they're about to give birth in the drivers seat.  
The "JEEEZ! I thought you were an ax murderer!" excuse never works..  
All that said you would probably hate getting behind me in traffic. I'm usually obnoxiously slow in traffic AND I LOVE driving 10 miles with the turn signal on.. lol

Holy crap, I just chewed out this exact person this morning on my way into work today.  It was an old man who merged into the fast lane, cutting me off, to let other cars in.  but he stayed in the fast lane even after everyone and their mothers passed him in the right lane.  he even kept his left blinker on the whole time.  when I finally got the chance to get around him....in the right lane.....as I passed him I waved at him and told him in no uncertain terms who I thought the #1 seed really was in the NCAA basketball tourney.  then as I was passing him, he decided to speed up and I had to drive upwards of 85 mph to pass him, when we were only going 67-68mph in the fast lane.  that's another pet peeve of mine.  So I had to explain to him just exactly what I thought of his mother, his unborn son, his super nice '02 Chevy Suburban with rusty wheel wells and rear fender, and his impeccable driving abilities.

I don't know what it is about road rage, but I will wish very very bad things on you if you decide to cut me off or drive like an idiot out there.  I understand why people from Iowa have the acronym Idiots Out Wandering Around. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(03-12-2018, 10:15 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote:  Holy crap, I just chewed out this exact person this morning on my way into work today.  It was an old man who merged into the fast lane, cutting me off, to let other cars in.  but he stayed in the fast lane even after everyone and their mothers passed him in the right lane.  he even kept his left blinker on the whole time.  when I finally got the chance to get around him....in the right lane.....as I passed him I waved at him and told him in no uncertain terms who I thought the #1 seed really was in the NCAA basketball tourney.  then as I was passing him, he decided to speed up and I had to drive upwards of 85 mph to pass him, when we were only going 67-68mph in the fast lane.  that's another pet peeve of mine.  So I had to explain to him just exactly what I thought of his mother, his unborn son, his super nice '02 Chevy Suburban with rusty wheel wells and rear fender, and his impeccable driving abilities.

I don't know what it is about road rage, but I will wish very very bad things on you if you decide to cut me off or drive like an idiot out there.  I understand why people from Iowa have the acronym Idiots Out Wandering Around. 

Road rage is always a two way street. My mantra is always "there's enough assholes on the road, don't add to that number."

Although, I'm not always successful LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 10:39 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: So a couple weeks ago I was driving home at night. A car comes out of nowhere and is right on my ass (65mph lanes where most people go 70).

I'm driving in the middle lane, and the headlights of a car are right behind me, so I go into the left lane and and he follows me (right behind me again). Half a mile later, I switch back to the middle lane to get him off my ass (the lanes are clear open) he switches right back, so as soon as I see him switch back to the middle lane, I go right back to the left lane to keep him off my ass and he turns on his cop lights - lol. That was suspect driving!

He said "I was following you for a mile there, you were speeding going 80."

I didn't have the guts to tell him, "well do you think I was speeding or changing lanes because you were 1ft away from my bumper the whole time and I can't tell that you're a cop car in the dark? 1 mile of a stranger doing that, I'm going to either speed up or slam on my brakes, which is better?". To be frank I don't care about the money/points, but I feel like this is a tactic he/they have been pulling on other helpless drivers.

Yes, I am going to speed up (in my Honda FIT which takes 10 seconds to go from 70-80mph) if I sense someone is driving erratically tailgating me at night! I should have gone to trial and embarrassed him if he showed up, and asked how many times he's pulled that maneuver on others.

Sure I was speeding, and I guess he had nothing to do with it lol. I wonder how many wrecks cops actually cause instead of help stop by saying "you need to slow down", looking at autobahn statistics, where people know you better not get into that left lane if you see porsche lights from half a mile away.

It's one thing to radar me going 80 off the side of the road, it's another to try and cause the crime, lol, I don't know how anyone else would react to being tailgated at night like that. I don't like going fast in my Honda Fit, it struggles to keep that speed anyway. If he caught me in the other car, I get it.

I had one doing that leaving my brother-in-laws wedding reception.  I turned out and about 100 out he  pulled right up on me, and I instinctively sped up, then he pulled me over.  It was obvious.  The first thing he asked, was how much I had to drink.  I said "nothing".  He said when was the last time you had a drink.  I said 1990.  I have no idea how many people escaped while he had me pulled over. LOL He didn't give me a ticket btw.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2018, 03:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Instead of cutting back and forth between the middle and left lane I would have gotten in the right hand lane and let him pass.

During the day I stay as far away from cops as possible, lol. Especially in the city, I don't even pass them in the next lane, knowing they'll try to run my license plate and get behind possibly.

I pulled an illegal maneuver last year, I took a right at the light, then took a quick U-turn and took another right to continue through the red light. The cop pulled me over and said you can't do that within half a mile of the intersection (that sounded kind of far, lol). He asked why I was in such a hurry, I showed him my burger king bag and said I wanted to get home to eat my french fries. He laughed and let me off the hook. I haven't performed that maneuver since, but I deserved to be pulled over for that one, I was doing that maneuver for months.
Reply/Quote