Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cordell Volson and this offensive line
I am starting to think that Volson is the guy.

He's REALLY flashed in a number of games this year, but has also had some turds. I remember Willie Anderson having a quote about offensive lineman..."development isn't linear".

I am also starting to believe that this offensive line isn't as big of a problem that we are all lead to believe. Yes, its been a small sample since Burrow was hurt, but they've played some of their best games when the Bengals are running the ball effectively, moving the pocket, doing more play action, going under center, etc. It's no coincidence that they played their best games against the 49ers and Jags (when they were doing all the things mentioned).

It's one of the things I'm going to be paying attention to the most going down the stretch. How they play under this "Browning" offense. I really do think the majority of their struggles is a result of Burrow wanting to be in spread 75% of the time and that "style" of play. Teams don't have to worry about any other element of our offense beating them.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am starting to think that Volson is the guy.

He's REALLY flashed in a number of games this year, but has also had some turds. I remember Willie Anderson having a quote about offensive lineman..."development isn't linear".

I am also starting to believe that this offensive line isn't as big of a problem that we are all lead to believe. Yes, its been a small sample since Burrow was hurt, but they've played some of their best games when the Bengals are running the ball effectively, moving the pocket, doing more play action, going under center, etc. It's no coincidence that they played their best games against the 49ers and Jags (when they were doing all the things mentioned).

It's one of the things I'm going to be paying attention to the most going down the stretch. How they play under this "Browning" offense. I really do think the majority of their struggles is a result of Burrow wanting to be in spread 75% of the time and that "style" of play. Teams don't have to worry about any other element of our offense beating them.
Yep, the under center is really the key....keeps the D off balance. 
Reply/Quote
There are a number of factors that are in play:

1) Be under center more
2) Better run/pass balance
3) Run left more often

Our normal tendencies to be in shotgun all the time, be way off balance toward pass and also empty backfield combine to hang ANY OL out to dry. We ran a more balanced offense against her 49ers and Jags and actually let the line assert itself with power running to get into sync.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:21 AM)Joelist Wrote: There are a number of factors that are in play:

1) Be under center more
2) Better run/pass balance
3) Run left more often

Our normal tendencies to be in shotgun all the time, be way off balance toward pass and also empty backfield combine to hang ANY OL out to dry. We ran a more balanced offense against her 49ers and Jags and actually let the line assert itself with power running to get into sync.

Yes, agree. And remove the Chase or whoever vertical screen pass from the playbook. They have lost or gained 1 yd all year on that attempt. When the DB sees Chase take a step and turn to the QB they tipped the play and the DB is all over him. Alot of lost downs and yards.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 11:35 AM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yes, agree. And remove the Chase or whoever vertical screen pass from the playbook. They have lost or gained 1 yd all year on that attempt. When the DB sees Chase take a step and turn to the QB they tipped the play and the DB is all over him. Alot of lost downs and yards.

By now you'd think that they could just pump fake it to Chase and find anyone open 12-15 yards downfield.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
They’ve done decent at pass protection but not in the run game.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
I know some think PFF is out to get Volson, so I wanted to share their recent ratings of him.

They gave Volson an overall rating of 75.2 against PIT and 71.5 against JAX. Both of these are considered above average.
He was given pass block ratings of 77.5 and 76.5, respectively.
He was given run block ratings of 71.0 and 66.7, respectively.
Only 1 total pressure allowed over these past two games.

I hope this helps show that PFF isn't always unfairly hard on Volson and maybe he just wasn't as good earlier in the season but is coming along now.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Don't center the run game around RPOs on 1st and 2nd downs when Joe's back. The blockers tend to be hesitant getting to the second level because Joe throws the RPOs and they don't want to get a illegal man downfield penalty.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Seems like it always go back to having a solid run scheme. It lets the Oline play with some confidence and variety. When they know and the D knows we are passing they pin their ears back and stampede them. They don't have a chance most times. With a duo of RB's like Brown/Mixon (Jax game) run plays that are working they are forced to respect our runs. Keeps them guessing and will help prevent the stampede to the QB. That .5 second means all the difference when a fast back like Brown blasts thru a hole and is off into the secondary. But the hole has to open and they seemed to be able to do that Monday.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:03 PM)Synric Wrote: Don't center the run game around RPOs on 1st and 2nd downs when Joe's back. The blockers tend to be hesitant getting to the second level because Joe throws the RPOs and they don't want to get a illegal man downfield penalty.

Yes

More and more every game, every season I become less and less of a fan of RPO's !! And I'm not a big fan of empty sets either. The opposing D is licking their chops. Kill the QB on two ready break.
Reply/Quote

He’s had 2 very good games in a row.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:18 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes

More and more every game, every season I become less and less of a fan of RPO's !! And I'm not a big fan of empty sets either. The opposing D is licking their chops. Kill the QB on two ready break.

Burrow gets pressured less in the empty looks. 

Adding talent to the TE room will let them run different personnel groupings (including more undercenter looka everyone keeps harping on). Noah Fant will be a name I'll have my eye on in Free Agency this off-season.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 12:50 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote:
He’s had 2 very good games in a row.

That's going to give some around here a bit of heartburn, as they had already been gearing their mock drafts toward replacing Cordell.  Ninja

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
This was good.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cincinnati-bengals-coaches-heap-praise-on-unsung-star-of-mondays-upset-at-jacksonville-nfl-week-13-2023/
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That's going to give some around here a bit of heartburn, as they had already been gearing their mock drafts toward replacing Cordell.  Ninja

Lots of heartburn and crow for a lot of people on so many fronts. A few on the Zac threads the week before are in their fox holes.

Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:29 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: This was good.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/cincinnati-bengals-coaches-heap-praise-on-unsung-star-of-mondays-upset-at-jacksonville-nfl-week-13-2023/

Yes, this has been happening all year. Drew Sample came into camp much bigger and stronger (muscle not fat) and as a result he is a bulldozer now both in blocking and in YAC scenarios. This is part of why I have said he could do part time duty as a FB. 
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes, this has been happening all year. Drew Sample came into camp much bigger and stronger (muscle not fat) and as a result he is a bulldozer now both in blocking and in YAC scenarios. This is part of why I have said he could do part time duty as a FB. 

Sample could be a very instrumental part in putting wrinkles in the offense, both in rushing and passing attack by being utilized in a 12 personnel package lining up in the H-back or FB position a few plays each game.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 10:44 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I am starting to think that Volson is the guy.

Volson has certainly looked a lot better the last 2 games, I think the OL as a whole is looking better as well, especially Orlando 
Brown and Cappa and Karras. Jonah is a little banged up with his back so I can see why he didn't look great against the Jags.

As most know by now, the QB being under Center most of the time helps the OL to play aggressive and attack the Defense 
instead of always dropping back and letting the Defense attack you when playing in the Shotgun. With a RB who can rapidly 
accelerate like Chase Brown it also helps as the OL doesn't need to hold their blocks near as long.

Execution first and foremost and then balance is key for this Offense from here on out.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 02:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yes, this has been happening all year. Drew Sample came into camp much bigger and stronger (muscle not fat) and as a result he is a bulldozer now both in blocking and in YAC scenarios. This is part of why I have said he could do part time duty as a FB. 

Drew Sample reminds me of Slah from the Goonies lol
Reply/Quote
wow you people are literally bi-polar lmaoo no offense

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote