Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordell volston??
I been watching him closely and waiting for him to come into his own, but I must admit it hasn't happened and at this point I feel like it won't happen..just looking back to when Jackson Carmen was starting people was gripping and bitchin every week for him to be benched why is nobody saying that about this guy??

Imo Carmen was coming along slowly but he had some really good games against Pittsburgh and Baltimore that made me feel like he could possibly be a good player..I feel like the volston experiment should be over at this point he's clearly the weak link and it's borderline embarrassing tbh..it's like everytime a team runs a stunt Cordell is on skates getting abused and I'm tired of it..

We was quick and more than willing to pull a struggling 2nd rd pick why are we so patient with a struggling 4th rd pick just asking for clarity..
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 02:40 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I been watching him closely and waiting for him to come into his own, but I must admit it hasn't happened and at this point I feel like it won't happen..just looking back to when Jackson Carmen was starting people was gripping and bitchin every week for him to be benched why is nobody saying that about this guy??

Imo Carmen was coming along slowly but he had some really good games against Pittsburgh and Baltimore that made me feel like he could possibly be a good player..I feel like the volston experiment should be over at this point he's clearly the weak link and it's borderline embarrassing tbh..it's like everytime a team runs a stunt Cordell is on skates getting abused and I'm tired of it..

We was quick and more than willing to pull a struggling 2nd rd pick why are we so patient with a struggling 4th rd pick just asking for clarity..

Who else they gonna plug in? You don’t think they are putting the best they got in? Since Burrow, we’ve added Karras, Cappa, Collins, Brown Jr, moved Williams, they can’t all be pro bowlers. I agree, he is weak link, but what do you do? You have to spend money elsewhere. I really wish the Bengals wouldn’t fall in love with draft picks, and use them as trade bait and go all in. Even if we had to suffer after that.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 02:40 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: I been watching him closely and waiting for him to come into his own, but I must admit it hasn't happened and at this point I feel like it won't happen..just looking back to when Jackson Carmen was starting people was gripping and bitchin every week for him to be benched why is nobody saying that about this guy??

Carmen Jackson isn’t really that bad.He has improved.But,he should be better.
At this point,I would start him over Volson.Although,Volson isn’t the only problem.Problem #2,Frank Pollack.
He’s had his chance.Send him packing.
Reply/Quote
Speaks volume about this teams inability to develop offensive line talent. Carman and Volson are names on a long list of draft offense lineman who never panned out. It is the front office, coaching and scouting is the problem. This has been an issue for 15 years. Last good lineman drafted other than Jonah was Eric Steinbeck and we let him walk because the FO was too damn tight to pay him. Idiots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 07:23 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: Speaks volume about this teams inability to develop offensive line talent. Carman and Volson are names on a long list of draft offense lineman who never panned out. It is the front office, coaching and scouting is the problem. This has been an issue for 15 years. Last good lineman drafted other than Jonah was Eric Steinbeck and we let him walk because the FO was too damn tight to pay him. Idiots

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Whitworth
Andre Smith
Clint Boling
Zeitler

All taken AFTER Steinbach

TF you on about?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 07:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Whitworth
Andre Smith
Clint Boling
Zeitler

All taken AFTER Steinbach

TF you on about?

I just see 2 good linemen there

not that smith and boling were bad, but, ya know.

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote

You hit it on the head.

I think it all comes down to when each was picked.

Carman was picked in the 2nd, Volson the 4th. So more leeway is given for Volson.

But yes, it seemed people were quicker to dismiss Carman when they should be doing the same for Volson.

With that said, Volson is just in his 2nd season, and I like to have a rule of giving a player 3 full years to blossom, especially if a Day 3 pick. But I wouldn't have put Volson as the starter so early in his career either.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:00 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I just see 2 good linemen there

not that smith and boling were bad, but, ya know.

I'd say Boling was good pretty much his whole career.
Smith had a few good seasons but definitely his latter years were underwhelming.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd say Boling was good pretty much his whole career.
Smith had a few good seasons but definitely his latter years were underwhelming.

Smith gets too much crap from fans.

He had ups and downs and pretty much averaged to be decent.

Andre just wasn't great, which gets him flack for his draft position.

I'd sure take him over a slew of other linemen we've had.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd say Boling was good pretty much his whole career.

Boling was ok. Certainly not bad at all. But ok

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I see lots of complaints about Volson in game threads.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 06:50 AM)Cosmokramer Wrote: Who else they gonna plug in?  You don’t think they are putting the best they got in?   Since Burrow, we’ve added Karras, Cappa, Collins, Brown Jr, moved Williams,  they can’t all be pro bowlers. I agree, he is weak link, but what do you do?  You have to spend money elsewhere.   I really wish the Bengals wouldn’t fall in love with draft picks, and use them as trade bait and go all in. Even if we had to suffer after that.

Zak Zinter out of Michigan would be a nice draft pick this year. Although I'm kind of disappointed with Kappa this year too.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 01:23 AM)nkydiesel88 Wrote: Zak Zinter out of Michigan would be a nice draft pick this year. Although I'm kind of disappointed with Kappa this year too.

We will have a chance to draft Haynes, Mahogany, Ratledge, and Zinter in various rounds up to the 4th round.

Reply/Quote
Worth noting...

Next season Ted Karras will be in his age 31 season and Alex Kappa will be in his age 29 season. Karras will be in his contract year.

So not only do the Bengals need to replace their LG and RT this coming offseason, but the offseason after that they'll need to replace their C and start looking for the RG of the future.

Very important that Pollack is replaced and also replace whatever OL scout we have, because there's going to be even more OL turnover and we really need to finally hit on some OL picks with Burrow's cap rising and Chase going to get paid.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2023, 08:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You hit it on the head.

I think it all comes down to when each was picked.

Carman was picked in the 2nd, Volson the 4th. So more leeway is given for Volson.

But yes, it seemed people were quicker to dismiss Carman when they should be doing the same for Volson.

With that said, Volson is just in his 2nd season, and I like to have a rule of giving a player 3 full years to blossom, especially if a Day 3 pick. But I wouldn't have put Volson as the starter so early in his career either.

So why wasn't Carmen giving the same opportunity??we benched him in year 2 for someone who's clearly less affective than he was, and he's being afforded way more opportunity than Carmen that's the part I'm not understanding..
Reply/Quote
Volson may be our worst starting lineman but he is far from Bobby Hart, Spain, or Adeniji. Volson has had some good games Rams, Bills 49ers he was really good and part of the reason we won. You dont bully 49ers for an entire game like we did without having a good line its virtually impossible.
Reply/Quote
This is going to be a big off-season for the OL. It should be the number one priority for this team (again). They just can't keep having their season end because Burrow gets hurt.

I'm interested to see if they completely overhaul it starting with Pollack.

IMO they need to invest in guard with either a high draft pick (at least a second) or address it with a quality FA signing. They just can't roll Volson out there again. Volson is a decent depth piece.They also need to re-sign Jonah if he's willing to continue playing RT. Continuity there is important.

They also need to draft for Karras' replacement in a year.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 10:04 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: So why wasn't Carmen giving the same opportunity??we benched him in year 2 for someone who's clearly less affective than he was, and he's being afforded way more opportunity than Carmen that's the part I'm not understanding..

I wish I fully knew why, but from what I believe to recall, it was something around effort and/or consistency in training camp leading up to regular season.
I was in the camp of giving Carman at least the first half of letting Carman start at LG for the first 4-8 games of last year and see how he does before handing the starter gig over to a 4th round rookie.

It's very clear though that the team has not been happy with Carman and is basically preparing to move on from him, as they put Ford and Smith on the gameday roster over Carman.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-20-2023, 10:04 AM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: So why wasn't Carmen giving the same opportunity??we benched him in year 2 for someone who's clearly less affective than he was, and he's being afforded way more opportunity than Carmen that's the part I'm not understanding..

The only thing I can think of is JC is a turd in practice; maybe "lazy, doesn't follow instruction, poor personal hygiene....". 

As to what to do on the oline'

#1 replace Pollack, but that ain't happening. So I'd look to FA to find a good C that Pollack can mold from good to average and move Karras to LG.

Aaron Brewer, Conner Williams, Matt Hennessy (if healed)
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I have seen some people claim that lots of teams develop 4th round picks to start on their o-line, but that just is not true. So I was very impressed when we had a 4th rounder not only start, but start as a rookie. Even more incredible when you consider that he came from a FCS school. And it is funny that you spell his name "Volston" because my friends claimed I like Cordell because my last name is "Ghulston". For whatever reason I became big fan of Volson. But even I can see that he is not a high level performer.

I think O-line is the hardest position for fans to judge because we don't always know what their assignment was. Also QBs who hold onto the ball longer to try and make a play rack up high sack numbers (Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, Burrow). But right now our O-line is clearly struggling. Our "pressure rate" is low, but that is just because we throw so many quick short passes. Bengals are dead last in the league in "air yards per attempt". And teams are not having to blitz a lot to get pressure. Bengals are 5th in the league in pass attempts, but 27th in blitzes faced. And our run blocking is not any better. Bengals are 21st in "yards before contact" on running plays.

So even though Cordell is one of my favorites, I am fine with replacing him.
Reply/Quote